Autocomm or similiar? What do you use? Earplugs?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drew231506

0 Posts Per Day
Reaction score
Okay I have seen some similiar posts but am still confused on what direction to go. If you get a comm unit can you install speakers in your helmet and hear them EVEN if you wear earplugs? Or if you must get headphones...then how are they with wind?

Okay I have seen some similiar posts but am still confused on what direction to go. If you get a comm unit can you install speakers in your helmet and hear them EVEN if you wear earplugs? Or if you must get headphones...then how are they with wind?
I think that's a very valid question and the one I struggled with most. I haven't yet found a set of monitors I like for extended rides and do have the Starcomm unit with helmet mounted speakers and wear regular ol' orange foam ear plugs.

I can make out most talk radio and totally get the melody of music, but we're not talking audiophile crisply clean here. Zero problem hearing the radar detector.

For me that's enough until or unless I find a set of ear monitors I can wear for 24 hours straight.

I run an Autocom with a GMRS radio for bike-to-bike, using the Autocom headset. I do not wear earplugs since going with a taller windshield (the wind noise was subsesquently reduced) so I can't give you any input there; what wind noise remains does not interfere with the communication. I know Autocom does say that their setup (comm unit, headset, etc.. of course) can be heard with earplugs. Also I recently switched to a Nolan helmet that features a chin curtain that cut the wind further.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's been a while since I checked, but IIRC, Autocomm suggests getting their volume control if you wear earplugs so it can crank the volume up.

Another option (and the way I will go eventually) is an adapter Autocomm sells so you can use your own earphones. With a set of Etymotic or Shure's, you'd have the best of both.

It's been a while since I checked, but IIRC, Autocomm suggests getting their volume control if you wear earplugs so it can crank the volume up.
Another option (and the way I will go eventually) is an adapter Autocomm sells so you can use your own earphones. With a set of Etymotic or Shure's, you'd have the best of both.
The new models have volume controls on the unit itself.
I have a Pro-M1 and use a set of WestOne UM2 headphones with Shure triple-flange adapters. Very effective, great sound. Much better than the Shure E5cs they replaced. Less expensive, too.

To control the volume I have an inline volume control (the one that Shure supplies with their in-ear speakers) between the Autocom headset adapter and the earphones themselves.

I have an AutoCom Active 7 I use when riding with Lorie for both music and intercom. We both have the mics installed and she has the AutoCom speakers. I use the Etomytic ER6is. I use the ER6s because when I ride solo I don't want the extra cords required to run my iPod thru the AutoCom - I just plug the iPod into my ERs and off I go. I'm still struggling with whether to install the AutoCom speakers in my helmet or not. I don't want to have to use the AutoCom all the time - but when I do (with Lorie) it is just an added PITA to plug in my ERs, etc. Yeah, compared with other things in life this isn't a big deal, just another question of should I or shouldn't I. BTW, I'm happy with the ERs in all respects.

+1 on ER6i. I also have the "i" isolater version. They make very good ear plugs to quell sound, and double as respectable earphones. Sound quality is very good, though bass performance is not quite as awesome as my Bose QuietComfort 2's. Still, they're outstanding for this application, in my opinion.

Don

The only thing worse than hearing loss is vision loss. I'm almost deaf in one ear. I have constant tinnitus, ringing in the ears. Foam earplugs and helmet speakers don't work for me. The earplugs attenuate all sound, thus I hear is muffled. In-ear speakers, unless specifically designed for hearing protection, provide good sound but do not protect your hearing.

A windshield, or even a full face helmet with visor down, will NOT protect your hearing sufficiently.

I went with custom molded earphones. Expensive relative to many other choices at $200 or so, but nothing compared to the 100% certainty of hearing loss without protection. That the sound is much better than almost anything else is just a bonus.

If you're using Autocom, you have to spring for their splitter thing, for which they charge an outrageous $45.

I don't ride without a helmet. I don't ride without gloves, boots, riding suit, etc. If I fall and break bones, scrape skin, I'll heal, eventually. If I ride without hearing protection, I will lose hearing, and it won't come back. Ever.

I ride with the autocom and a set of ER6i's and the little splitter box they make so you don't use the speakers...

works great. muffles and outside/ambient noise like earplugs and still gives you clear sound. the only other thing I did was get a RF remote for my iPod so that I can change the volume on my ipod when I'm riding to adjust for other noise..

Jeff

I also have tinnitus, an Active Pro 7 and use Max earplugs while wearing my Nolan. I can't ride without earplugs over 30mph. I can hear the wife, the garmin, and traffic still very well. Haven't tried music though. I think it would be too much of a distraction for me. I need to concentrate on what I'm doing. I have a hard enough time staying on this bike as it is! :blink:

I also use the Autocomm7. Wearing earplugs (29db attenuation) I can hear music fairly well at lesser/backroad speeds, but at freeway (and above) speed it is definitely background music (not distinct). The radar detector still comes through loud and clear.

At first I thought the music would be a distraction, but on long stretches, it seems to help the miles fly by. Its a personal/subjective thing.

I will not ride without earplugs. I reaed an article--I think MCN--about a test in England where they determined that wind noise above 65 mph was in the 105 db range. That's hearing-loss range. As with others, tinnitis is no fun, so I want to retain all the hearing I can.

I use a Pro7 with standard custom silicone ear plugs. The sound is great! My silicone plugs don't block as much noise as a good set of foamies but enough to not tire me on rides. Autocom speaker volume is incredibly sensitive to speaker location. You'd think they'd come up with a wider-dispersion speaker by now...

I run an autocom and everything is in an electronic tankbag so I can unplug one wire and transfer to other bike. I use a mix-it to run everything through so I have one knob to control volume for everything that sticks out the left side of the tankbag and easy to get to.

I use custom made earplugs by Hoon Hardware with helmet speakers, I can hear music, phone, xm, radar detector all fine. I am like others, once you get use to custom made earplugs, it is so quite, you never want to be without them.

Doug Hines

I run an autocom and everything is in an electronic tankbag so I can unplug one wire and transfer to other bike. I use a mix-it to run everything through so I have one knob to control volume for everything that sticks out the left side of the tankbag and easy to get to.
I use custom made earplugs by Hoon Hardware with helmet speakers, I can hear music, phone, xm, radar detector all fine. I am like others, once you get use to custom made earplugs, it is so quite, you never want to be without them.

Doug Hines

i do basically the same with the tank bag. I use a GPS with XM radio and mp3 plus an autocom intercom. No phone with cutom earmolds. Why do you hook up the mixit to the autocom? How?