• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Auxiliary Tank Group Buy (merged threads)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright group buy has ended. We had for commits. Thanks Joe here are the four:

JSaul

fleetfoot

Mr_Canoehead

BritRiderr

Let us know the next steps.

I apologize but I am going to have to drop out. My discretionary budget just got spent on two sets of car tires and a laptop for college bound daughter.

y

I apologize but I am going to have to drop out. My discretionary budget just got spent on two sets of car tires and a laptop for college bound daughter.
You bought tires and a laptop at 5:50 AM?

Based on the email from JSaul (time stamp 4:56 AM), I called the fab shop and ordered four tanks.

Yesterday, or last night would have been a better time to pull out. This would be less of a big deal if I did all the sheet metal work on my own. Best case, I call the fab shop tomorrow, they haven't started work yet, but my credibility is dinged. Worst case scenario, I'm on the hook for an extra tank, and my credibility is dinged.

I thought I was pretty clear about all this earlier. This is a coordinated effort.

I spoke to the laser programmer Wednesday. He's not the same guy who cut these last time, but he says this seems "pretty straight forward" based on the drawings provided.
When pieces are cut and formed, they go the welder. Hopefully, this is the same guy who welded the Gen1 prototypes. The guy is very skilled. I will meet him when he has the parts.

I'm hoping to ship these next week. Please send me a PM with your address, unless you are going to pick up the tank.

I have yet to be burned accepting personal checks, so we can just stick with that plan. When the tanks are boxed up and ready to go to UPS, I'll notify everyone.

Was there a preference of filler cap versus filler neck? I am leaning towards filler neck. Would like to hear people's experience with either one.

i have a tag- along- tank and have the cap. I like it because i can tie camping gear on top of the tank. When its time to fill tank all I have to do is undo right side roc strap, move bag up enough to fill, clip the strap and go. works well for me . filler neck would be in the way for me.

Got the call late yesterday. The tanks are ready for me to pick up.

I've had the other components for several days. I will begin assembly this evening.

Hopefully, this is the same guy who welded the Gen1 prototypes. The guy is very skilled. I will meet him when he has the parts.
Yes, yes he is.

I get endless comments about how nice the welding is on mine, and not just because I polished it all.

All the best,

Shane

I have the tanks.

The person who welded the Gen1 prototypes is no longer at the company. This guy appears to be even better.

I am really impressed with his conscientiousness and attention to detail. He did a nice job, really nice! And, all this in spite of pressures from the owner. It turns out, the guy in estimating and sales is not a great communicator (understatement). As a result, all sorts of problems rolled down and were dumped on the welder.

Here are a few photos:

P8120484.JPG

P8120485.JPG

In the above photo, you can see the finish on the bottom of the tank does not match. I explained to our friend that the bottom surface needs to be flat as it rests on the grab rail bushings and front risers, and that all those surfaces need to be in the same plane. He took that and ran with it! Before welding those front risers on, he made sure that surface was flat!

Also, I explained that just tacking the baffles in place did not seem to be enough. We didn't need a lot of weld, but we needed a bit more. In my opinion, he took my vague request and nailed it. Look and the amount of weld on the baffles:

P8120488.JPG

So, these are nice. Now, back to the pricing pressures... The boss lady is giving the crew some heat about the costs, so there was some resistance to pressure testing these. I didn't argue too much for two reasons: 1. The guy doing the welding is not going to fail us 2. I don't have a lot of room to complain about price. These did cost a lot to produce, but that should be on the estimator/sales guy, ... whatever. I have plans to talk to the owner later about lessons learned.

Right now, I plan to leak test these myself. The last thing we need is someone pressure testing these and destroying them in the process. I'll plug the drain bung, fill 'em up and place them on dry cardboard. Any leaks will be immediately visible.

After that, I will dry them thoroughly and finish assembling them.

Sorry for the added delay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joe,

Glad to see you are back at it! These tanks are awesome. Still very pleased with mine from the first group buy, in fact, it never leaves the bike. I know there are many designs out there for tanks, but this one is still my fav! YMMV

Corey

I have reviewed the vast volume of post on this creation and see mention of the Linda/Lynda cover for these. Anyone know anything more about these? Pictures? Still available, etc?

Linda Tanner, https://customtankbags.com/, look at the Auxiliary Tank Bag. Give her the dimensions of the fuel cell and she will make you a cover for it.
She's made covers for these and should already have the dimensions.Be sure to let her know that this is the Gen2. She has made a cover for the Gen1 prototype too and that one is not the same.

Alright.
Enough already!
This is the test I came up with to satisfy my need to know that these have been leak tested:
Step 1. Add a few inches of water to tank.

IMG_0077.JPG

Step 2. Place each side on craft paper
IMG_0079_resized.jpg

The orange arrow shows some waterproof tape I used. The black arrow points at a drop of water that was on the counter.

Assuming this test gives the expected results, these will ship tomorrow.

Those welds really do look nice!

Get those addresses to me. If I need to take a day of vacation, I will to get these packaged and shipped.