• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Auxiliary Tank Group Buy (merged threads)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is anyone else interested in a new group buy for these?

Is anyone else interested in a new group buy for these?

I believe Joe has retired from making these. He has moved on and I think he sold his FJR also. Has a different bike now. So if you want to start making them yourself there may be a few folks interested. You might want to PM joe just to make sure. He does check in on rare ocasions.

Good luck,

Dave

I sure do like mine!

C2uirT.jpg

No, it doesn't come with the silly lettering on the side.

I bought mine long after the group buy was over, so the "stuff" it came with may or may not be included in any new tanks Joe decides to build. It doesn't really have mounting brackets, per se though. It mounts in place of the rear seat, sitting on top of the subframe in several places, with bolts that run down through the tank into the holes for the front bolts that hold the OEM rack in place. It's very stable and secure. Spacers have to be fitted where it bolts on to the bike and I'm sure Joe will provide those.

So today as of June 4th 2015 there appears to be interest for 2 me plus one. Anyone else? Let's make this happen.

Wow! It's been a while.

I revisited the fabrication shop that builds tanks for me, and requested an updated quote. I am thinking about making one improvement. I am investigating if I can screw the shutoff valve directly into the tank, similar to what I did on the Gen I tanks.

I will pass the details along as I get them. I suppose I should start a new group buy thread. I imagine we will need to have five tanks built before we get a price break, but I will post the price for one through four tanks.

The variation between bikes was a frustrating surprise. The only solution I had at the time was to make custom grab rail bushings for each owner. None of us knew going into it that a tank would fit perfectly on one bike only to wobble on the next. This time, let's see if we can figure out a clever solution. I have an idea, but I'm open to suggestions.

Gen2 and Gen3 Tag-Along Tank (Edit: 16 July 2015)

(sorry. This should have been made clear from the beginning. This tank will not fit a Gen 1)

This will be a very limited time offer. It's been nearly a month since JSaul contacted me asking about the possibility of buying a tank. I'm sure he wants to be able to use his tank, not wait for interest to build.

Last time I had these tanks built, there was a price break of 44 dollars if five tanks were ordered. I have some good news and some bad news. First the good news (with more good news to follow):

This time, the price break is $118 if five tanks are ordered.

Now some bad news, instead of $869, the initial price this time would have been $943. But, ...

Good news! No price increase if five tanks are sold! ($943 - $118 = $825) But wait! There's more! Read on

Alright, here are the rest of the details:

Five years ago, I included a JAZ/Wisco flush mount filler cap in the cost. At that time, the cap assembly cost $61.95. Some people preferred a filler neck and were willing to pay the added cost. I checked today and Summit Racing will ship those filler necks free. Why ship them to me for me to repackage and ship along with the tank?

I've decided to drop the $61.95 from the price calculation, and let people order their own filler cap or filler neck.

Powder coat is nice, but it adds to the lead time. I've decided to drop $60 from the price calculation for powder coat.

Changes in price for the other fittings, the valve, etc. will not affect the cost.

The price to participate in this:

$821.00 plus shipping. ($943 - $61.95 - $60.)

$703.00 plus shipping if five are ordered ($821.00 - $118)

What is included:

• One Tag-Along Tank for GenII FJR

• One Panel mount valve (McMaster-Carr P/N 4118T62)

• One 1/8" NPT X 5/16" elbow fitting (Edelmann P/N 831250)

• Three 1/8" NPT X 5/16" fittings (Edelmann P/N 820250)

• Two rubber bumpers for the tank's front supports (McMaster-Carr P/N 9310K124)

• One short length of 5/16" dia fuel line

• Two replacement bushings for the FJR's stock grabrail

What you will need:

• Your choice of JAZ/Wisco flush mount filler cap (JAZ P/N 350-201-06), or JAZ filler neck

Sound fair?

IMG_0061.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Joe -

I read all the way through the thread for the previous group buy and never figured out whether this tank could be mounted on a Gen 1 - can you shed some light on that and perhaps enlarge the potential pool of group buy participants, please?

Many thanks,

Pete Bansen

I read all the way through the thread for the previous group buy and never figured out whether this tank could be mounted on a Gen 1
Pete,

On about the 18th page of this thread: Auxiliary Cell Design <Link> the Gen 1 tank design is shown.
Auxiliary Cell Design: Post #344

Shane shared some photos of his Gen 1 set-up with a Givi rack in the last group buy thread. Only two prototypes were built. There was never a group buy for the Gen 1 version. I felt the mounting rack would be too expensive and that people wouldn't appreciate the value.
I suppose I shouldn't assume everyone already knows what these are. Later today, I'll try to post more details. For now, the details about the tank offered in this group buy are here:

Auxiliary Cell Design : Post #215

(that thread is where I will be plucking the details to share here)
Seriously, if you have any interest in auxiliary tanks, you should check out that Auxiliary Cell Design thread. I poured everything I learned into that thread. There are ideas for every cost comfort zone, from the least expensive / most basic, to the most elegant works of functional art. (I may be a bit bias)