Avoid a tire changer (Am I out of my mind ?)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrZappo

Can we please go riding now ?
Reaction score
So, its spring, got a nice set of T30GT's sitting on the workbench in the garage. Just got my super cool tire balancer from a forum member.

Finally after all of these years I am almost in a position to change tires without paying the local Yamaha dealer (They charge me $100 if I bring the wheels in !!! Ouch !) ...

So I am doing last minute research and of course the obvious choice is Nomar. But there are options like HF etc etc ... And I was watching some youtube vids to help me decide and there were a number of guys just doing the whole "spoons" thing and having reasonable success ... Some were even saying that it is hard WITH the nomar ... A lot were dirtbikes though ...

I do ride with GT spec tires which I understand are a lot harder as well ...

Id love to avoid spending $600-$800 on the Nomar setup (so I can spend it other more fun stuff) ...

I have seen tires being done both ways but have never done one myself. So ....

The question is, is it totally unreasonable to think that I could change FJR tires with just spoons ? It seems like I might just suffer greatly learning this lesson the hard way (my standard life practice).

Should I just bite the bullet and get the nomar ?

Basically I'm looking for advice from those on the forum that have already skinned knees, broken fingers and/or suffered in new and horrible ways trying to avoid the expense to tell me (without me learning myself) that attempting FJR tires with spoons will just plain suck and/or be impossible ...

Any advice is appreciated !

Also look at the Cycle Hill changer by No Mar which costs a bit less.

I have the HF setup. To make it useful I had to install Mojo blocks, and bought the No Mar tire lever. I also replaced the bead breaker with a Cycle Hill bead breaker because the HF is so flimsy. So I saved maybe $200 over a Cycle Hill machine, and I'd say it may not be worth it. Get the better unit and pay yourself back every time you use it. I ended up with a good functional and easy to use changer. I even change car tires on it. But it took a month of assembling parts and modifying the unit I got from HF.

I used a HF setup with spoons for years. Then I bought a No-Mar. Wish I had went No-Mar years ago. I gave my HF setup away for the cost of them coming and picking it up.

If you have the space, No Mar.

Escapefjrartist's HF works okay as Tom said. And just like Tom, George had to buy some stuff to make it work okay.

Hudson's [AuburnFJR's old changer] NoMar worked noticeable better than the Harbor Freight changer.

AuburnFJR's new hot rod changer is really tasty but really expensive. When you have street and dirt bikes and 50 friends that stop at your house twice a year, his tire changer is perfect.

I bought the HF changer and frankly, I personally have never been able to make it work. Billy (Yamafitter) and others made it work for my first tech day a couple of years ago, but as I recall, it was a bit of a struggle, and I did have to modify it to even get it that far. I sadly do not put on the miles each year that necessitate a tire swap that often, so for me, the HF was the only real choice as far as cost goes. However, if you run through tires like water or have friends who do and will buy you beer in order to use your changer, spend the money on at least the Cycle Hill setup, if not the NoMar. My $.02, FWIW

For the 2 -3 sets of tires I might change in the space of a year, the HF (with Mojo blocks and mount/dismount bar) is adequate. It does have the advantage of disassembling into easy to store pieces for those like me that have limited space. If I were going to be changing any more than a few sets yearly, I'd definitely invest in a better setup.

For a manual changer if you can find a used Coats 220 they are good. I have an Atlas power machine that's nice but I still end up doing tube types with spoons to avoid killing tubes. Yesterday I did a 250 series on a Victory. Won't be doing that again. Total pain in the ass or wrists in this case.

Ok 6 responses all mentioning a recommended tire changer ... None saying that I am out of my mind ... Ill assume that everyone is being nice ...

Thanks all for the fast responses ... I just checked out Nomar and the cycle hill is on sale for $345 ... I'm ordering one ...

I only change a couple of times a year but at $100 each time plus driving back and forth (they can never take care of me same day), this is easily justified ...

punk.gif
punk.gif
punk.gif

Why oh why can't one of you guys with a changer live next door to me. Someday I'll buy a changer but like Ray I still do the dualsport tires with spoons just to keep the craft alive.
rolleyes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Doing your own tires is great for use and reuse of tires. It allows me a chance to remount used tires for use in the "Off season"

At the prices you have to pay… do them yourself. I am still working on a perfected system, but I just spooned on used front this

week. But… a friend nearby with a changer is best!
punk.gif

What Tony said. I didn't really NEED a changer, but I got hosed twice on trips. Albuquerque is so far from all if our meets that even with low miles on a tire, I would switch out to new before a trip. The two times I didn't do that, it cost me...Taking my bike back and forth to the dealer was a hassle, and they are not open on Sunday or Monday.

So I bought a Cycle Hill from one of our local members. He had all kinds of upgrades, so basically a really nice NoMar changer. The price was made up during the IBR when a couple guys and I got their bikes lined out in an afternoon.

For $100/tire, I'd agree with you that three or four hundred is easily justifiable.

Oops...I meant $100/tire change...

There are seven of us in our little tyre co-op.

Have the Cycle Hill we bought in from the USA, it gets a fair amount of use.

Paid for itself the first rear tyre I changed.

Two years ago I invested in the NoMar. Change the tire when you want and buy them where you want. Watch the NoMar videos religiously and your learning curve will be a piece of cake. I would recommend the NoMar and I assume the cyclehill would be fine also.

Last edited by a moderator:
Go with the NoMar / Cycle Hill changer.

But get it with the rim clamps, not the quick cam blocks. I am still changing the car tire on a piece of plywood with a couple of spoons.

I know, they're not that expensive an upgrade, but even being from an Irish lineage, I'm just plain TOO SCOTCH !

Brodie Meagher

tonguesmiley.gif

I'm using an original HF unit (today's model is a bit worse) with Mojo blocks and a Mojo lever and have changed dozens of tires with it (I keep track with hash marks on the side of it) but it took some simple mods and a couple tires to get the hang of it. I've done the spoons, but never well. I'm sure I would have gotten better with those also had I practiced more, but the changer is so much easier. It stores in the attic space above the garage and bolts right to the floor when I need it.

Knowing what I know now, I'd buy the NoMar or similar. It would have paid for itself a long time ago.

No one's mentioned a tech day, I personally would suck up to whoever sponsors a tech day in your area and bring plenty of beer or whiskey or whatever it takes...2 cents....ff

I have an original HF with all Phil's mods (yep today's model is worse), also have a Cycle Hill and have used a No-Mar...... each has its own quirks, and I may be in the minority by saying the HF has a wee bit of an edge. However, once I get my Cycle Hill mounted higher and figure out how to get consistent settings with the rim clamps for different size wheels, it might have the edge.......... all I know is there isn't room for two in my shop........