Avoid a tire changer (Am I out of my mind ?)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's good to know, Ray. I've been toying with the thought of getting a higher end changer, but maybe I'll stick with what I have. It takes me almost no time at all to change tires with the old HF.

That's good to know, Ray. I've been toying with the thought of getting a higher end changer, but maybe I'll stick with what I have. It takes me almost no time at all to change tires with the old HF.
Good to know, Phil...maybe I could just buy you a case of beer, or a good bottle of the liquor of your choice, next time I need tires mounted.

Like Phil and Ray, I have the original HF with Mojo blocks and lever. With all the manual tire changers, once you learn the correct techniques, swapping tires is a snap - I think my HF setup works quite well. I also purchased a NoMar bar, but much prefer the Mojo lever as you have more bead room to work with.

My biggest nit with the HF is the overall height with the motorcycle adapter. If I took about three inches out, it would be easier to keep the beads in the rim center. For ease of storage, mine is also mounted on a 4 X 4 piece of plywood. I change all our (normal) car tires on it too, which are really easy compared to MC tires. The cutoff for those is 50 series, any less and there's not enough side wall to work with.

--G

Well Zappo, you say you only change a few tires a year. I can assure you that if you acquire a tire changer you will have many tires to change. Friends, acquaintances and total strangers will darken your door with tire and rim in hand.

You should consider going in with 1-3 other riders and share a changer. No Mar makes a model that can be mounted on a receiver on the back of a pick-up or SUV.

i just use spoons. i could drive 30 minutes to wheat's and use his no-mar but it doesn't take 30 minutes to spoon on a new tire, even gt spec. the catch is, especially if you've got black wheels, that it's easier to scratch a wheel with spoons. i've got a slick front tire right now. maybe i'll video the next tire replacement and if it goes well, and i don't find a better vid already here, and there isn't a lot of bloodshed or flying irons or fowl language, i'll post it.

that being said, immediately after a tire change i'm ready to buy a changer but after a few days i'm back to not wanting to give up the space. ymmv

Good to know, Phil...maybe I could just buy you a case of beer, or a good bottle of the liquor of your choice, next time I need tires mounted.
Seriously, anytime you need to swap tires, let me know. Ship them here, we'll install them in a snap. I also have all the stuff to install patch/plugs...the correct way, should you ever need to. I know, I know, that's more a requirement for Wheatie...

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="N4HHE" data-cid="1293251" data-time="1457324330"><p>

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="MrZappo" data-cid="1293127" data-time="1457298051"><p><span style='font-size: 12px;'>Thanks all for the fast responses ... I just checked out Nomar and the cycle hill is on sale for $345 ... I'm ordering one ... </span></p></blockquote>

<br />

Is the $345 CH-100 satisfactory for the FJR tires or is the CH-200 necessary?</p></blockquote>

Well, I'm not sure. The website was pretty clear that it should handle almost anything. There was a video on webbikeworld that showed it being used on what looked like a sport bike tire similar to an fjr.

But time will tell. If there are any issues, Ill post up my results.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

I have mounted Michelin PR 2,3 & 4, Pirelli angels but the Bridgestone T30GT tires are a bear to mount even with a NoMar machine I can't imagine doing them with spoons.

Decent quality spoons is what I use. 50 yrs now, I do have a question for the tire changer guys,do you have to reemove the disks when using the tire changers? One step us spooners don"t have to.

Decent quality spoons is what I use. 50 yrs now, I do have a question for the tire changer guys,do you have to reemove the disks when using the tire changers? One step us spooners don"t have to.
No

I have an original HF with all Phil's mods (yep today's model is worse), also have a Cycle Hill and have used a No-Mar...... each has its own quirks, and I may be in the minority by saying the HF has a wee bit of an edge. However, once I get my Cycle Hill mounted higher and figure out how to get consistent settings with the rim clamps for different size wheels, it might have the edge.......... all I know is there isn't room for two in my shop........
Hey Ray. I'm still interested in your HF whenever your ready to let it go.

I'm still changing all my tires on the ground with spoons. At 62 tender years of age, I think I'm ready for a tire changer.

The CH-100 will do it..... consider the Yellow Thingie and maybe a Xtra hand tool to ship at the same time and keep your shipping costs down.

No, the wheel holders are high enough that you don't have to remove the disks.

I have the old HF changer and here's my thoughts. I don't have any mods and don't have any fancy bars except the HF one. I don't particularly like the HF changer but it's what I have and what I could afford at the time. I usually end up using a combination of spoons plus bar technique and a lot of cursing. The right choice of words help the tire pop on and off easier.

That said, I can't imagine using spoons without the changer. The good of that is that the changer at least holds the wheel and holds it tight. I usually am at a point where I think I need an extra hand, and can't imagine if I were also trying to hold the wheel still too. My hat is off to the guys who use spoons only, you are much more talented/patient than I am. I don't have enough words to use that method.
biggrin.png

I'm kind of in the situation of 1911 where after a tire change I think about buying a better changer, but then a week later I'm not thinking about it anymore. One of these days a perfect storm is going to happen where I'm changing a tire on my HF and have the money in the bank for something better. Until then..

Several years ago at the YamahaFZ1OA meet in Arkansas, one of the members showed up who either worked for NoMar or sold them..can't remember. He showed up with his NoMar mounted to the hitch receiver and changed out a few members tires that needed it and demonstrated the proper technique for using it. If you are having problems, then I'd say it is all in technique because he popped the tires on and off and never broke a sweat. Granted, he probably had a lot of practice, but he sure did make it look easy.

In the end, I've gotten my money's worth out of my HF and don't regret buying it. I'd like something newer but for my once a year change, I'm not sure I'd ever get my money back for an upgrade in usability like I did in simply buying the HF and keeping my $$$ from the dealer.

These two items make changing tires much easier.

Tire warmers can get a tire to around 160*-170*F. The best I ever got by setting a tire in the sun was 120*F. After letting a tire sit for 30-40 minutes in a tire warmer, I can often push the tire on a rim with my hands (in gloves because of the heat). I bought the cheapest warmers I could find under the assumption that they will not get as much use as intended during racing applications. I've been using mine for three years on 30 or so tires. I cannot recall where I got mine, but I think they cost around $180.

Unknown_zpswbeelif7.jpg

This tire iron is easy to get into tight places and is a great addition to the No Mar irons and thingy. ($23) (https://www.revzilla.com/product/bike-master-heavy-duty-tire-iron)

TIRE_IRON_HEAVY_DUTY_BM_detail_zpshhs3x2rb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a NoMar Cycle Hill Tire Changer and both the No Mar and No-Scuff mount / de-mount bars.

Even with all that fancy gear I still think using a set of tire spoons is easier to get the stiff rear tires on and off than any of the fancy shmancy stuff.

Any method requires developing some technique, and you will have to build some sort of a bead breaker and wheel holder/stand if you don't get a changer, but there are lots of tips online on how to make a wheel stand from an old steel car rim, and making bead breakers from some scrap lumber is pretty simple. Buy three nice tire irons (I've got the Motion Pro models) and make some rim protectors from pieces if cut-up plastic jugs ( I always seem to have a lot of empty windshield washer fluid bottles laying around). Soapy water in a spray bottle makes a good lube.

The wheel balancer is about the only other thing you need to buy besides the tire irons, and you already have one of those. I've mounted many many tires on my own and friends' bikes (including mounting and removing a car tire) just using those fundamental (and frugal) tools.

...I've mounted many many tires on my own and friends' bikes...
Thank you Fred!
smile.png
Myself and many others appreciate Fred's Garage. One feller even travels via ferries and up north through a couple of states just to have tires and suspension work done. Fred's Garage on a Tire Day.

IMG_4355a.jpg

IMG_4349a.jpg

Tony cleaning up ionbeam's wheel. What makes Tony smile while doing a Bad Job? It's that little yellow can, just full of good fumes
stunned.gif

IMG_4361a.jpg

make some rim protectors from pieces if cut-up plastic jugs ( I always seem to have a lot of empty windshield washer fluid bottles laying around).
Don't throw out that old garden hose. Those things make for excellent rim protectors.