Avon Azaro ST AV45 120/70/17 $39.99

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my Azaro rear yesterday. Date code 4005. Help needed: This means 40th week of 2005, correct? There are a bunch of other numbers also. I'm not edumacated enough to decipher it all.

Tire looks OK, must be good!

Got my Azaro...Date code 4005...This means 40th week of 2005, correct?
Russ is a smart feller! (It was hard to spell like that ;) ) From the year 2000 and on the last 4 digits of the manufacturing code is the date code. The first two digits are the week of manufacture and the last two digits are the year. Before the Y2K there were only 3 digits with the last one being the year.

On the sidewall you will see letters DOT then the next two letters indicate the manufacturing plant. The next two letters indicate the tire size in code. Next is optional, with up to 4 alpha/numerics to identify the brand or other significant characteristics of the tire. The last 4 digits make up the date code that Russ was asking about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Both suppliers have shipped my order............just waiting. I must note that J&P charged half the price to ship the front tire (from Iowa) than BikerGarage charged to ship the rear from Michigan, and IA is three times the distance. I won't order from them again :angry2: That said, I still scored the set for $190 Canadian, shipped !!! That's HALF the price they want for them up here.

From my research on this issue. I was kind of worried about shelf life too. I was thinking these tires must have at least 3+ years of shelf life on them. Most of my google research has come up with 3 years is about the max most feel as comfortable as if they were brand new. Over 3 years most people are starting to have some concern or will just not use them. 5 years seems to be the shelf life MOST say you shouldn't be running them.
https://www.rider-ed.com/getting-to-know-your-tires.aspx

Old tires sometimes need to be replaced even if they look new. As they age they lose their elasticity and get dry and hard. This has an effect on the braking and handling of your motorcycle. Tires are now date coded by the manufacturer so that it can be determined how long the tires sat on the shelf before being installed. Ask about the dates of manufacture of the tires you are about to buy. Sitting on a shelf for three years gives a dealer good reason too want to sell them cheap, and gives you a good reason to look elsewhere for that extra margin of safety.
Actually, hardening of tires is OK by me. I'll buy a set of PR2's and let them set for 8 months, slowly hardening into even longer lasting tires. :rolleyes:

Seriously, your post is good research, and I thank you for it.

My 2 sets arrived today, will post mfr dates mananna.

As an aside... I have two classifications for tires...

Local and Long Distance.

I'll use these for local, burn them down.

for my Long Distance rides, nothing but the proven, Thank You, eg. PR2's or ME880 rear with any suitable sticky up front.

I got mine in as well and I dont have the exact numbers but they were both less than 3 years old so I'm glad I bought them. Also, and this seems pretty weird, but in the box the front tires came in I found a parts manual. You know, one of those 6' thick 30 lb monsters? WTF is up with that!!??! Anyone else have one of those in their box?

Yeah, they threw a 2008 Parts Unlimited catalog in mine too. Went to get the tire off the front porch and when I picked it up the damn box weighed like 25lbs! I thought they had shipped a rear instead of a front until I opened it up.

Oh well, its another 1700 or so pages of farkles to look through when I am bored!

Yeah, they threw a 2008 Parts Unlimited catalog in mine too. Went to get the tire off the front porch and when I picked it up the damn box weighed like 25lbs! I thought they had shipped a rear instead of a front until I opened it up.
Oh well, its another 1700 or so pages of farkles to look through when I am bored!
It makes me go cross eyed looking at that thing, too many farkles so little money!

I just bought a front tire, thanks!!! I have an extra Diablo Strata E in the garage and I was going to hold off on the front but after seeing this deal it looks like I will have a new front and rear on this next week. Now if I could oly find a deal on PR2s for my next tire.

I'm in. What the heck. Bought a pair of fronts. About $90 for the pair shipped to my door.

Looks like the rears from 101 are gone. I couldn't find ANY 180/55x17 tires there this AM. Bummer.

I'm in. What the heck. Bought a pair of fronts. About $90 for the pair shipped to my door.
Looks like the rears from 101 are gone. I couldn't find ANY 180/55x17 tires there this AM. Bummer.
FWIW, you can put a 170/60ZR17 tires on the back. It will be narrower by 1 cm (.39 inches), but about the same diameter and circumference.

Okay, I decided enough people are running these even with a 3 year shelf life. I'm in. At $50 bucks I'm going to run one on the front until my B21 rear is done. At that point I'll need to decide to get PR2 or Stradas.

Dave

I just ordered a couple of sets and they emailed invoice said that they were temp out of the rears...

I just ordered a couple of sets and they emailed invoice said that they were temp out of the rears...
If you get an email telling you the rears are back in (doubt it, but hopeful), let us know. At these prices, I'll get another rear or two.

My pair of front tires came today. In a BOX no less. First time I've gotten tires in a BOX!

I got a 4805 and a 0206. Guess they are a little beyond their "freshness date", but they look good to me. Good incentive to change the front and get out and smoke off some rubber. Probably need to wait for the 4 fresh inches of snow to melt, first. :glare:

:rolleyes:

My two sets showed up. Not too old and one of the fronts goes on my wife's FZ1 tomorrow! I had to order one of those 19mm hex keys so I could get the wheel off.....I usually take the whole bike in, but I think I'll try the wheel removal with these.

Got my front today. Ordered Monday and on the doorstep today for $49 bucks. Can't beat that.

Build Date was 0106

Dave

Probably should have gotten the rear (missed out).

Last edited by a moderator:
Just ordered two front. :clapping: Can't beat $89 delivered to the door!!! Hopefully they will work well with the RoadSmart rear. Boy I'm looking forward to getting that crappey RS front off.

Thanks for the info Hobbes!!! :clapping: