Avon Or Metz

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

galxy5

galxy5
Reaction score
I have 3400 miles on the OEM Bridgestone BattleAxe tyres,, I don't feel all that secure in high speed twisties on them... going around town is ok and on the slab at 75 to 85 they feel a little loose,,

I also noticed that I have a concave mark on the rear close to the center line,, and wear marks begining to show,,

need some advice on tyre selection

Last edited by a moderator:
I've not ridden with the BStones, but I noticed a big difference when I switched from the OEM Metz's to Avons. I felt the same way on my Metzs that you decribe on yer Stones. Avon just feels better, IMO.

GunMD,,

which Avon do you have on???

Moore is a human lypoSUCKsion machine,,,a traitor,, a liberal commie fag!!!!!

Don't get me started!!!

Yes,, I am ex military UDT/Naval Spec War/Naked Warrior :ph34r: :Snorkle:

I have the Avon AV45 and AV46...pretty much the standard issue gear for the FJR from what I've read/heard.

GunMD, USMC 92-96

(Oh, and I still work for the Marine Corps as a civilian employee...all the camaraderie with none of the bullets)

Go with Shinko Ravens! Love mine..........well worth the savings :D

UnCaged

what kind of riding do you do? are you looking for more mileage or more grip?

there's also huge difference in handling and grip between the metzeler Z4 and Z6. not really a comparison at all between the two except mileage...

so it really come down to what you want. if you want more mileage, the Avon would be better, if you want more grip/handling, then maybe the Z6 is what you should try.

The scales are tipped toward the Avons for one simple reason -- They have a hazard warranty. If your tire is fairly new and you pick up a nail, they will replace the tire for free (you still pay for mounting and balancing the new tire). This just happened to me and I saved $160.00 big ones.

ok!! AV45  AV46 ,,, AV45 B  AV46 B ,, what  does the B stand for?
I replaced my wore out Bridgestones with Avons AV45/AV46. They definitely stick much better than the old 'stones. It has been posted here in the past and noted by some tire distributors that the Avon 45B/46B is NOT recommended for the FJR. The 'B' could then stand for BUT NOT for the FJR.

By the way galxy, nice Betti Page pin-up.

I've had Metz z4, m1 and next I'm trying out the z6.

I have Avon now and don't really care for them. Have to pump up the front to 42-44 lbs to make my handle bars stop dancing when I let go of them to scratch myself.

With the Metz I always use the pressure recommended in the bikes manual. I do more slow speed twisty road riding here in the Northeast.

what kind of riding do you do? are you looking for more mileage or more grip?
there's also huge difference in handling and grip between the metzeler Z4 and Z6. not really a comparison at all between the two except mileage...

so it really come down to what you want. if you want more mileage, the Avon would be better, if you want more grip/handling, then maybe the Z6 is what you should try.
I agree. I'm running the Z6's now and find them much better than the original 4's.

I look at it this way...if I don't have to think about my tires, they must be working, right?

With the Z6's, the grip is good and they handle really well in rain (which we get in abundance up here). Mileage is good so far...I've put on about 6000 Kms (4000 miles) and they are holding up well.

Darcy

05 ABS, 220# rider, 30% two up, not a peg scraper but faster than most I ride with on the curves. 6K on OEM Mez4's, not quite into wear bar on rear, front still pretty good. Replaced both as a set with Avon's now have 7K on the Avon's. Look to have another 3-4K left or rear. Front seems to be somewhat better. It took me a while to get used to the different feel of the Avons going from the Mez4's. The initial turn-in to a curve seemed easier on the Avon's. The Avon's seemed to me to squirm a bit initially & be not quite as stable on the super slab at speed but that seemed to subside after a few hundred miles. Either that or I got used to them. I will probably go with the Avon's again next time.

snowmonkey,,

Bett has a very special place in my life,,

I have 2 soon to be 3 portraits tattooed on my right arm wrist to elbow,,,and several hundred images,, foto and film,,

Yes,, motorcycle riding will warp your mind!!!

ok Randy,,why the Z6 ????
Let's see...why the Z6?

Well I for one have had NO problems with this model tire, unlike others.

I recently got caught in the worst rainstorm ever and the Z6's still handled perfectly. The original Z4's were absolute garbage in the rain.

There were (allegedly) so many complaints of front Z6's splitting at speed. Mine was purchased around that time and is still performing flawlessly.

The dry grip on these tires has made me a much more confident rider. I don't think I'd feel the same way with a front tire that wobbles at ANY speed.

I believe I now have approx 3k on the front with no sign of wear, and the rear has about 1k on it and looks new. I'm finally dragging my toes/pegs with these tires and loving it! I'm no Johnny roadracer, but these tires sure make me feel like I am.

THAT'S why the Z6!

Avon makes a good tire. IMHO, the Z6 is better for the FJR. That's all.

Even if Metzlers were free, I wouldn't put one on my motorcycle. This isn't something I read on the internet. It happened to me. Front tread separation at speed. No warning. WHAM!! 80mph speed wobble. No air loss. Mine was a Z4, the link is about Z6's, same failure.

Scroll to the top for his story.

Metzler Z6 tread separations

When I swapped out my Metz Z-6's for the Avons, I saw a demonstration of why I should never again get the Metz. Compared to the Avons and Bridgestone, the sidewall on the Z6 was remarkably weak and flimsy. I could bend the z 6 sidewall in half like folding a piece of bread. I did not want to trust my safety to mushy sidewall like that. In contrast, the Avons' sidewall was firm and strong.

Ron

Another vote for the Avon 45/46 combo here. These tires are light years ahead of the stock 'stone. I will never, and I mean NEVER purposely put on another 'stone in my life! I had considered the PR's, but I'm thinking now, why mess with perfection?

Mike