Avon Storm AV55 Front

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And just to illustrate exactly why we have a NEPRT forum (where this thread is off to now...), for all the anecdotal evidence of wrong-doing, we have the following anecdotal example of where the Avon Storm has behaved brilliantly, where the grip, treadlife, and overall performance is nothing short of outstanding.

Here is a front Avon Storm with 6000 miles on it, replaced to match a new rear. Now, obviously, the center is more worn that the sides (duh), since this tire saw a large amount of High Desert highways and interstate traveling. Too, the tire still has a lot of tread remaining, but the smooth, even wear rate/pattern is about as good as it gets:

6K_storm.jpg

Here is another Avon Storm with 3000 miles on it. Looks barely worn

3K_storm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, but Sprint, this ain't a sport bike we're talking about. Far from it. This bike, and I think we can all agree, is a porker compared to a sport bike, and as such, most of us like to run more air. When my air goes below 38 up front, the handling gets squirrelly and has on every brand I've run to date.
Here's the best analysis of this whole situation I've seen:

The reason this and pretty much all tire threads are found in the NEPRT forum is that no two people will ever have the identical experiences with a particular brand of tire. The reason is obvious enough: no two people have the identical riding styles, riding environment, throttle discipline, etc, etc, etc. Some are into heavy, late braking; some always pour on the heavy acceleration; others rarely touch their brakes and depend on engine braking and proper corner entry speed, etc, etc. Some may not have their suspension setup optimized to ensure the best performance under all conditions, etc, etc. Some like to ride 10/10's on the street, enter corners a little too hot, etc, etc. All of these things combined together to ensure no two riders have the identical impression of the same tire.
So it matters not what kind of treadlife mileage you're getting, versus what I am seeing, versus what anyone else may/may not be able to see [or wear patterns - ed.]. One simply reports their own experiences, and readers can absorb the information as they see fit based upon the knowledge the reader has of the individual making the comments.

Pretty much sums it all up.
You may think that an FJR is a porker and can't run with sport bikes but the facts just don't bear that out. rfulcher and I ran with two 1050 Sprints over some flat nasty turns at ESTN07 and nobody was running away from us. (As an aside there were a lot of other bike riders who were flat amazed at how well an FJR runs the twisties) At that same event, I ran with a pair of 636 Ninja's, a new CBR600 and a Hyabusa over what is known as the Snake and flat left them (granted they were flat landers and if they had experienced twisty riders the outcome would have been closer). An FJR WILL hold its own in the turns, so much so I sold my Sprint. A major part of taking turns is the size of the contact patch. That patch gets smaller as pressure goes up, period. If you put 40+ lbs in cold you will be running at least 43/44 on a cool day, much higher on a hot day. If all you run is interstate sweepers you can get away with it. If you run tight twisties you could end up in the weeds. Like I said, this is the only MC site I have ever seen that so many people advocate higher pressures.

I totally agree that tire wear is 90% in the riders control over throttle and brake, BUT you can see general trends. Commuters seem to get better than average mileage. WA/OR riders seem to get more than average tire life (this is one I have no clue on). East coast twisty riders eat tires like they were popcorn. As far as the Storms go, I love the way they handle, they wear fast, and they are just like every other tire I ever used in the rain, they will slide. Although there are some who are so close minded on this forum that they just won't see it, but there is just too much smoke out there to discount a manufacturing issue.

Front with 8500 + miles, changed for trip :

DSC02596.jpg

Two rears, one 5000 & one about 4000 miles (changed for trip) :

DSC02598.jpg

As you can see nothing to complain about here . . .well maybe the mileage but well worth it for me. Can't make everyone happy . :rolleyes: To each his own if it works for you . . .Or not . . .

Ok, I'll take the bait. I'm not an expert don't pretend to be. As far as Avon's, no question they perform great on the road according to those who have used them. Sounds like the previous models were a little more popular, just my feeling. Is it "all" about tread life, no. Any tire that is going to give good grip in the turns has a softer compound, not too hard to figure out. Should a tire last more than 3 or 4 thousand miles? Should, but we all know it depends on how and where you ride and type of road surface. My only "personal" observation here on the board about the Avon's is in the sampling of people who have had problems with this tire is a higher number with what that "normal" number should be. So, the problem as I see it is the Storm has something going on that is causing the de-formation being noted. Is it too much air? Lack of suspension tuning? I really don't know. I keep my pressures at the recommend settings and don't have to be swayed by what others say. Personally I just don't want to have to deal with the problem's happening with the new Avon's. Is that wrong? No. But hey, we have this nice place and folks here to help us determine what we should do or not of our own free will to our rides. And I'm grateful for that. Isn't that one of the reasons were here? So how open is that? PM. <>< :D

Nicely stated PainMan.

I started this thread and Wow! has it ever grown.

My personal experience with the Avon was such a disappointment for two main reasons:

1. There were/are so many people on this forum who had great things to say about the tire and who also had fantastic experiences with the Storm's predecessor. So my expectations going in were very high.

2. The front tire almost immediately showed signs of a serious problem, and because I mail order my tires (as many people do) the hassle and expense of obtaining a credit/replacement was enormous. Not to mention that the expense of dismounting and remounting new rubber is not covered by Avon.

A third, but less important factor was that even on the rear Avon Storm which had no problems, my mileage was considerably less than a competitive brand that clearly equals or outperforms the Avons.

I think that sums up why FOR ME... no more Avons.

What I try very hard to do on this forum is relay personal experiences accurately and without prejudice, so that others can take my information into consideration for their own choices. Others' experiences help me make better purchase decisions. I'm trying to return the favor. It's that simple.

Jeff Ashe

You may think that an FJR is a porker and can't run with sport bikes but the facts just don't bear that out.

Well thats a crock. Even though the FJR performs well enough you are not going to out run an equal rider on a sport bike. If you think thats true I got plenty of friends that will leave any FJR in the dust on your road of choice. I have been there and done that. I have also outrun sport bikes but I will give credit to my riding and not the bike.Point in fact and R1 is also put on the track, I have yet to see a FJR racing with the big boys. Nuf said.

You may think that an FJR is a porker and can't run with sport bikes but the facts just don't bear that out.
Well thats a crock. Even though the FJR performs well enough you are not going to out run an equal rider on a sport bike. If you think thats true I got plenty of friends that will leave any FJR in the dust on your road of choice. I have been there and done that. I have also outrun sport bikes but I will give credit to my riding and not the bike.Point in fact and R1 is also put on the track, I have yet to see a FJR racing with the big boys. Nuf said.
"Nuf said" my ass. Read ALL the posts and what the implications were. The implication was that the FJR was a porker and could not be ridden fast in the turns. The second implication was that there was no correlation between the way you set tire pressure in a sport bike to the FJR because you don't run an FJR fast in the turns. How many of your friends pump up the pressure in their front tires before a run? Yes it is the rider, but the bike sets limits on that rider too. Just remember the street isn't a track. STREET is what was being discussed, not TRACK. Your point about equal ability riders on a sport bike versus an FJR has some validity, but on the street both riders will establish limits of acceptable speeds on a route. To repeat, it AIN'T a frickin' race. The Sprints I mentioned could have left the FJR if it were a race, but they chose a pace that was fun for them AND the FJR's had no problem maintaining that pace. So your R1 can go on the track? For the last time, the STREET AIN'T the TRACK!!!

The implication was that the FJR was a porker and could not be ridden fast in the turns. The second implication was that there was no correlation between the way you set tire pressure in a sport bike to the FJR because you don't run an FJR fast in the turns.
Um, no. The comment was that the FJR is heavier than a sport bike, hence the preference for more psi. I said nothing about the ability of the FJR to keep up in twisties. You did. Ditto on the second sentence of your statements above. You are reading into and beyond my comments for the sake of your argument (just like my wife does :huh: ).

To refresh, here is what I said:

Yeah, but Sprint, this ain't a sport bike we're talking about. Far from it. This bike, and I think we can all agree, is a porker compared to a sport bike, and as such, most of us like to run more air. When my air goes below 38 up front, the handling gets squirrelly and has on every brand I've run to date.

The implication was that the FJR was a porker and could not be ridden fast in the turns. The second implication was that there was no correlation between the way you set tire pressure in a sport bike to the FJR because you don't run an FJR fast in the turns.
Um, no. The comment was that the FJR is heavier than a sport bike, hence the preference for more psi. I said nothing about the ability of the FJR to keep up in twisties. You did. Ditto on the second sentence of your statements above. You are reading into and beyond my comments for the sake of your argument (just like my wife does :huh: ).

To refresh, here is what I said:

Like your wife, I replied to what I thought you said rather than what you said. For that I do beg forgiveness. I do stand fast on what I said, even though I brought a gun to a knife fight. Weight or no weight, adding air to the "recommended" air pressure for this or any other bike should decrease the patch size and increase the chance for losing the front end. I'm sure that somewhere there is an exception to that rule, but IMO this ain't of them.

I too may be another X-Avon user. Had new Storms, mail ordered unfortunately, installed last week to replace Azzaros with 12.5 K on 'em. As its been unusually rainey here of late, I didnt get a chance to run the ole feej up to the ton and the new tires felt very similar to the old ones up to about 70. I noticed some vibes but it wasnt until hitting 85-90 that the bike starts vibrating big time and by 110 I can barely keep it on the road. I'm taking it back to the folks that put them on for me to check balance again...I'll also chech the date/code and get back to yas. I really hope its balance cuz I really liked 'em the last 2 sets. I will think twice before mail/e-mail ordering anymore consumables.

Just sos ya know...my friggin pacemaker/defib was recalled 2 weeks after placement...but it was reprogrammed over the phone...somethin tells me this aint gonna be as smooth... :unsure:

GO SPURS GO !

Bobby

Like your wife, I replied to what I thought you said rather than what you said. For that I do beg forgiveness. I do stand fast on what I said, even though I brought a gun to a knife fight. Weight or no weight, adding air to the "recommended" air pressure for this or any other bike should decrease the patch size and increase the chance for losing the front end. I'm sure that somewhere there is an exception to that rule, but IMO this ain't of them.
It's all good, Sprint. This is just a discussion and not life and death. As for the argument... I'm right, your right and who the **** really cares. If what you do works for you, well, that's just damn skippy! ;)

Me, I'll keep my air up, my wear mileage up and the Storms on my rims - er, until the new Pilot Roads hit the marketplace, that is.

I liked my PRs! They were like some people that work for me, nothing special, nothing stupid, just solidly okay (tires).

I say we all drink a beer, harass some of my HD neighbors, mount some new, experimental Bodushinkopirelmatsu rubber on my spare wheels, check the air pressure with the Scabometer...

and see how long the HD neighbors can stay in mirror view.

:)

It's all good, Sprint. This is just a discussion and not life and death. As for the argument... I'm right, your right and who the **** really cares. If what you do works for you, well, that's just damn skippy! ;)
Me, I'll keep my air up, my wear mileage up and the Storms on my rims - er, until the new Pilot Roads hit the marketplace, that is.
I'm with you on that. What to run on Big Blue is driving me crazy. You have to do all your trip planning not on where you run out of gas but where you run out of rubber. Now to absolutely convince everyone that I'm totally nuts, I've decided my next tires are, are you ready, is the suspense killing you --- Shinko Ravens. Just think on price alone they are worth at least one shot.

Shinko Ravens. Just think on price alone they are worth at least one shot.
At less than $155 shipped, that's what I'm screamin'. I may just put my money where my mouth is and spoon these pups on for the trek to WFO and see what happens.

Gotta be better than PR's. ;)

Shinko Ravens. Just think on price alone they are worth at least one shot.
At less than $155 shipped, that's what I'm screamin'. I may just put my money where my mouth is and spoon these pups on for the trek to WFO and see what happens.

Gotta be better than PR's. ;)
$135 shipped at Ride Now Powersports - That's less than my Storm rear alone from SWMoto which has great prices.

Update - Sorry - I ordered them and it was $19 shipping, apparently no free shipping on tires. Funny, the eBay link to the same place was $204 plus shipping.

Will be putting my bike in for the 8K service on Friday. I am replacing the Metzler Z6 OEM tires at this service with the Avon Storms for the run to WFO. I will have well over 1K on the Avons once at WFO and I will let you all know how they worked out. I am looking forward to these tires as folks here in the Sierra Vista AZ area love them.

I took off a Avon AV45 last night to have a new Storm put on today. I'm hoping the Storm performs as well as the Azaro (except for the wiggle). I'm mostly a sissy commuter so I get long life from tires. My OEM Bridgestone front was changed at 9000+ miles. This Azaro came off yesterday with 12,200 on it.

IMG_3019.jpg

I used to sling the front end from a cross beam in the ceiling when changing tires. I read somewhere on the forum here that Yamaha provides 4 little pipes under the engine to support the bike during tire changes. How thoughtful. Worked fine.

IMG_3013.jpg