Avon Storm

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimLor

Reaction score
Had the screw in the tire/mushroom plug experience last weekend (yup, picked up some sticky string on Sat to carry with me) and ordered Storms from SWMoto - like another brother I ordered them on a Sunday night and got 'em on Wed afternoon (VA). Anyway, these are only me third set of tires on Maxine - original Metzlers, then Pilot Roads, now the Storms. Went for my first ride yesterday and I gotta tell you I notice a big difference from the other two sets. The ride is fine, the big difference is in cornering - turns in noticeably quicker and these stick just great. Even with only 165 miles on these tires (tyres) I have much more confidence in turns then with the other two. Heck, if Toe gets the group buy on line I'll buy another set just to be ready when these wear out! Great tires in my humble opinion. :clapping:

Sounds Good.

Did it take much weight to balance them? I recently put on the original Avons and had to put 4 ounces in one spot on the rear to balance.

That's allot for a car tire never mind a motorcycle tire! Although I like them OK, it seems they have a consistency problem.

+1 on the Storms.

Got mine from SWMoto last Wed. (ordered Mon. and received Wed. in TN). All I can say is they are GREAT! Best tire I have ever run on any of my bikes...ever. Got them mounted Sat. and I balanced them without having to use lots of weight. Scrubbed them in Sat. PM and went to the Dragon on Sun. PM. These tires stick like glue and really turn in exceptionally well. The "Storm" imprint on the edges of the tires is already scuffed in too. :D The rocket guys said the ole FJR could really accelerate through the Gap. :dribble: One kid said he could ride faster when riding "behind someone."

Fjrtn

Sounds Good.
Did it take much weight to balance them? I recently put on the original Avons and had to put 4 ounces in one spot on the rear to balance.

That's allot for a car tire never mind a motorcycle tire! Although I like them OK, it seems they have a consistency problem.
I believe Avon has a policy about the amount of weight one has to put on to balance the tire. I think if its over an ounce and one quarter you can get another tire. Somethings up it it took 4 ounces. Balance the rim first then the tire and rim together. I have had multiple sets of Avons and not once took more than 1/2 ounce to balance front or rear.

s76 - I'll look and get back to ya. I had them done at Morton's BMW - I didn't notice any huge weights stuck on the wheels!

I just installed a new storm on the rear. It took 55 grams to balance, that was after installing then rotating 180 degrees, then back 90 degrees to find the light spot, I wish they would mark the tires from the factory. My last AV45/46(rear?) took 60 grams, balanced on a Snap-On spin balancer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info. I think storms will be my next tire. I am currently running pilot powers because I have heard the roads are just not the best tire for spirited riding, which I do a lot of. If I don't buy powers again, I will definately be going with the storms. They should definately go for more than 3000 miles.

I like my Storms quite abit. Best tire yet. I've had Bridgestones, Michellin PRs and Avon Azarros, Azarros come in second to the Storms. Thumbs up Avon.

I also like the Storms. I found my rear wheel to be heavy in one spot FORTY grams and was opposite the valve stem. Took 50 grams to balance the rear Storm. The front tire took a lot less

Man, these tires make the bike turn like it is supposed to. The stock Metzlers seemed to go from "OK" early on, to VERY BAD at the end of their life. Should have made the change a long time ago... if not right out of the show room.

Best Price on Storms?

Tires Unlimited in Dayton is:

T4456117 AVON AV55F STORM ST - 120/70ZR17 FRONT 104.48 104.48

T4466717 AVON AV56R STORM ST - 180/55ZR17 REAR 138.25 138.25

Total: 242.73

(plus shipping, though I'd drive up there and pick them up).

Do these prices seem in line?

Best Price on Storms?

No. I paid $255, installed and balanced. ;)

Best Price on Storms?

Yes. SWMoto will ship them to you for $243.xx total.

Wonder where TWN got his installed for about that price? Have to go to Santa Babs to get them, I suppose.

Yes. SWMoto will ship them to you for $243.xx total.
Wonder where TWN got his installed for about that price? Have to go to Santa Babs to get them, I suppose.
Ventura. CalCoast Motorsports. Buy the tires there, bring them the rims. Easy-peasy-cheapsie-weapsie. ;)

What's the difference in the 45/46 and the Storms? Do the Storm wear longer or do they stick better?

Thanks,

B)

The Sorm will be the replacement for the Azarro. Check the Avon website clicky here!
Thanks, I knew they were replacing them, but I was wondering how they compare.

One supplier has the Azarros priced higher than the Storms, and another site prices them the same. I can buy either, but I am more interested in mileage than stick since it is mostly flat and straight around here. B)