Avon Storm

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One supplier has the Azarros priced higher than the Storms, and another site prices them the same. I can buy either, but I am more interested in mileage than stick since it is mostly flat and straight around here.
Well then, the Azaro is a proven miler, so why not get those and wait until some real numbers are in for the Storms as to longevity?

The Sorm will be the replacement for the Azarro. Check the Avon website clicky here!
Thanks, I knew they were replacing them, but I was wondering how they compare.

One supplier has the Azarros priced higher than the Storms, and another site prices them the same. I can buy either, but I am more interested in mileage than stick since it is mostly flat and straight around here. B)
I don't think any one can give longevity yet as the Storm has only been Avail for a Month + now. I know as I was one of the first to get them.

I cannot offer a compare on the Azarros as I never had them.

I like the Storm. both my front and rear took 2 oz to balance.

One supplier has the Azarros priced higher than the Storms, and another site prices them the same. I can buy either, but I am more interested in mileage than stick since it is mostly flat and straight around here.
Well then, the Azaro is a proven miler, so why not get those and wait until some real numbers are in for the Storms as to longevity?
Erm, I could not get more than 6k outta the Azaros. Metz 4's brought 9k, Pilot Roads brought 8 - 9k.

The Sorm will be the replacement for the Azarro. Check the Avon website clicky here!
Thanks, I knew they were replacing them, but I was wondering how they compare.

One supplier has the Azarros priced higher than the Storms, and another site prices them the same. I can buy either, but I am more interested in mileage than stick since it is mostly flat and straight around here. B)
I don't think any one can give longevity yet as the Storm has only been Avail for a Month + now. I know as I was one of the first to get them.

I cannot offer a compare on the Azarros as I never had them.

I like the Storm. both my front and rear took 2 oz to balance.
My Storms have 2k+ on 'em and they are wearing very well. Just hope they don't wear like a bar of soap...

Erm, I could not get more than 6k outta the Azaros. Metz 4's brought 9k, Pilot Roads brought 8 - 9k.
Well, you're about as F'd up as a soup sammich. The majority of Azaro users get excellent mileage out of them. After using many, I have never gotten less than 9,000 miles out of a rear Azaro, and up to 14,000 out of another. Up to 18,000 on a front Azaro.

Sounds like a TWN problem to me.

Well, you're about as F'd up as a soup sammich. The majority of Azaro users get excellent mileage out of them. After using many, I have never gotten less than 9,000 miles out of a rear Azaro, and up to 14,000 out of another. Up to 18,000 on a front Azaro.

Sounds like a TWN problem to me.
Um, I tend to turn and silly stuff like that. So, yeah, it is my problem, you slabhead.

:****:

So, you got a pic of the last rear Avon you wore out, showing bald edges or even wear across the tread? I'd love to see it.
+1

:rofl:

And, erm........Professor Barney? Mister rocket scientist. Can I point out the fact that since you are spending so much more time on the sides of your tires than I am, you should be gettting more mileage than I. After all, you are utilizing a portion of the tread that I never do. Allegedly. Is logical, no?

Last edited by a moderator:
So who has the MOST miles on one of the new rear Avons thus far? Somebody needs to make me feel better about the tire order I'm planning on placing this week.

:)

BTW, the tire guy in my little town told me today that he would gladly help me out and change my tires for $8 each, provided I bring it to him. Turns out he has been doing some motorcycle tires before, but gave up trying to market the service because it requires so much $$$ in inventory.

Me thinks that the next time my old, sore arm is facing a stiffy Strada that I might just cough-up the $8. Besides, his name is Jeff and he is a redneck. How bad a guy can he be?

:)

So, you got a pic of the last rear Avon you wore out, showing bald edges or even wear across the tread? I'd love to see it.
+1

:rofl:

And, erm........Professor Barney? Mister rocket scientist. Can I point out the fact that since you are spending so much more time on the sides of your tires than I am, you should be gettting more mileage than I. After all, you are utilizing a portion of the tread that I never do. Allegedly. Is logical, no?
Um, no, Perfesser Waterhead. I know it's hard for you to understand this concept (and I would put into Dr. Seuss speak if I could so that you might better understand, but my lofty IQ won't sink that low), but turning and shit actually stresses the tire more building up more heat and causing the tires to wear quicker across the tread pattern. Now, we all know that the center will usually wear first unless your smitty or ashe, so I usually have 20 - 30% tread life left on the edges.

Now, be a good little boy and run along now and stick to what you know best... crash repair. :****:

And Bob, though not an Avon, here's my next-to-last Pilot Road @ 9,000 +/-. My Avons would look much the same at 6k except for that torn center section (that's due to some overly aggressive braking).

IMG_1806.jpg

So who has the MOST miles on one of the new rear Avons thus far? Somebody needs to make me feel better about the tire order I'm planning on placing this week. :)
A little over 2k on mine right now...

Last edited by a moderator:
Explain this to a dum Yankee....I thought youall were Hillbillies and Rednecks ah found in Texas
No way! Our kind can be found most anywhere, excluding Washington DC, NYC, and the US Virgin Isles. We have standards, lost nothing there, and have no interest in virgins of that size. Yep, we plan a coming-out march just as soon as we can figure out how to do a nationwide redneck conference call.

Forgot to clarify in my earlier post. I am considering trying a set of the NewAndImproved Avons.

Can anyone compare the Storms to the Pilot Road rear/Pilot Power front combo? I thought this was the hot setup, but hearing the reviews on the Avons...

Can anyone compare the Storms to the Pilot Road rear/Pilot Power front combo? I thought this was the hot setup, but hearing the reviews on the Avons...
Far superior to the PR's IMO. Mileage, not withstanding... I cannot comment on the PP fronts, though.

Put my first Storm on a rear rim today. It took 40 grams (the most I have ever used) to balance. This was after locating the heavy spot on the rim and the light spot on the Avon. Yes I did match them up before balancing. Makes me wonder about quality control, but this is a known issue with Avons and I haven't heard of issues with use. It will be a month or two before I put it on the bike. :)

Can't speak for the FJR, but on my ST1300 the best *handling* set of tires I ever used was the AV45/AV46 combo. The *least mileage* -by far- was... the AV45/AV46 combo. Both front and rear were shot in 4,000 miles.

AvonfronttireAV4504-14-05.jpg

Can't speak for the FJR, but on my ST1300 the best *handling* set of tires I ever used was the AV45/AV46 combo. The *least mileage* -by far- was... the AV45/AV46 combo. Both front and rear were shot in 4,000 miles.
AvonfronttireAV4504-14-05.jpg
HUH.......I have 6k on my AV45/46 combo and still have maybe another 4k on them. Didn't think the ST1300 was that hard on tires. Maybe I just ride like a "ole fart"? NNAAAAa....Deal's Gap last year was a blast even with the SO on the back. :D

Tom

Little help for a FJR noobie if you please… :dribble:

Hopped on the scooter at o’dark thirty this morning and had a little trouble rolling her out of the garage. Flat rear… OEM Metz… 7700 mi.

So its time to put some new skins on the ride. Liked what you guys had to say about the Avon Storms so I called up Mc Tire Works in Lomita and asked what it would cost if I rolled the bike in his shop… $405 (this included Arnolds share… CA tax).

So this is the part where you tell me to get off my lazy ass and pull the tires myself or that’s a great price, have Mc Tire pull em ‘cause it’s a PITA.

Yea I can wrench on a bike OK (I’ve got a garage full of Dirtbikes so I don’t have much choice) but I’d like to get it done right away… because I’m a major procrastinator. :rolleyes:

Wisdom-O-Forum is greatly appreciated. :grin:

Ron

Mr. Huero,

"You can do it!" Order from SW Moto SW Moto mine were $243 to the house (no shipping charge). I ordered on a SUnday night and had them on Wed afternoon - I live in N. VA.

Take your wheels off and have someone strip the tires and mount/balance the new ones. Can't believe you'd come near a $400 price tag doing it that way. Taking the wheels off really isn't a big deal and it's a good way to get to know the bike. Heck, if you decide to do it PM me and I'll give you my phone number - I'll answer any questions or talk you thru it.

Jim