Avon Storms

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twowheelnut

R.I.P. Our Motorcycling Friend
Reaction score
Ooooooh, me likey these new Storms! Granted, I have not been able to give them a real work out, but my little fiddy mile scrub in ride this morning left me impressed.

Just a couple of initial observations until I get to do some serious highway and canyon running on Sunday:

• Turn-in is superb. Very smooth, no flop and quick, too.

• Stable in the corners and holds track nicely.

• Very smooth highway ride, takes small rain grooves and parallel track ruts very well. I’ll wait final judgment until I can get some LA highway rain groove miles on as this was a big negative of the Azaros, IMO.

• Tread pattern is way deep and slightly different from the Azaros IIRC, and look to be an excellent choice for rain tires. I’ll prolly never find out for sure, though. :bleh:

• Balance at speed was excellent all the way up to 130 MPH and they felt very stable, too – no wiggles.

My only nit is the label that they stuck on both tires. Jeez, what a pain to remove! I finally gave up and just ‘ran’ the damn labels off. That has to be the gooiest, most sticky adhesive I’ve ever come across.

So far, these hoops are TWN
approved.gif
:good:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats about what my AZ's had on them, better than the prior set. My freebie Pilots took that much also.

Thats about what my AZ's had on them, better than the prior set. My freebie Pilots took that much also.
Nothin's free. You sold your soul for those things. Like I said before, the shame will linger long after the tires wear out.
Being the WFO-5 man-boob contest winner is an honor of dubious distinction, IMO. It also denigrates men as objects, rather than beings, with feelings and distinct personality traits, making us seem more like women. You've done a tremendous disservice to your gender. I hope you enjoy your tires. :****: :D

TWN, thanks for the stamp of approval. Can't wait to get me one of those meats.

Nothin's free. You sold your soul for those things. Like I said before, the shame will linger long after the tires wear out.
Being the WFO-5 man-boob contest winner is an honor of dubious distinction, IMO. It also denigrates men as objects, rather than beings, with feelings and distinct personality traits, making us seem more like women. You've done a tremendous disservice to your gender. I hope you enjoy your tires. :****: :D
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You've done a tremendous disservice to your gender.
Yeah, but what the hell has that got to do with us? We're men.

These darn admins keep supporting the thread hijacks. Sheesh. :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the initial report on the Storms TWNut. I can't wait to get mine in, they are ordered and are on the way.

Good to hear the turn in is smoothed out! That was one slight issue I had with the Avons. I know some people had mixed luck (Rogue) with the slow sharp turn in wobble, but both sets of my Avons did that. I'll report on mine when I get em too...I truly hope for the perfect ST tyre and I do have a good feeling about these.

Good to hear the turn in is smoothed out! That was one slight issue I had with the Avons. I know some people had mixed luck (Rogue) with the slow sharp turn in wobble, but both sets of my Avons did that. I'll report on mine when I get em too...I truly hope for the perfect ST tyre and I do have a good feeling about these.
Oh, yeah, I forgot! No low speed wobble, either!

Toe, dude, that was friggin' priceless! :rofl:

You all have no idea as to what lengths I'll go to for free shit, delinigatin or no deninaugratin or whatever ya said :p If there'd a been a turbo up for grabs, you all would still be in therapy.

I will be a needing some new rubber in the spring, after the white stuff leaves. TWN, your mission is to get a lot of miles on before then so I can get a long term review. Living in Cali has to have a price after all!

I don't suppose we could get any kind of group buy going on these tires and save a couple of bucks. There seems to be a lot of interested. :D

WARSW, I don't know about a group thing but if you get them or others and you want to bring them up the street you can use my stuff to mount and balance for free.

We are very lucky to have such a good selection of tires to choose from these days. I remember back in the day....

Last weekend I ran across an interesting fellow riding a 93 FJ.. He recanted a story of having a tire go down while riding in Canada. The local stealer took him for $450 USD.. He said his choice is very limited due to the rim size; and that tire had 3 yards worth of side-wall to it.

For us, in the 'current' fad of FJR's, we have some neat choices. So far I've run the Z6's (no probs, liked 'em), 2 sets of Strada E's, and now on Pilot Roads, TWN's favorite choice of tires (last month!) ;) .

I'll be watching this thread closely as TWN gets more miles on the avons and the honeymoon wears off. If he says he's still in love, I'll even try a set..

Well, at the rate I've been racking up miles lately, these should be toast by March or April at the latest. Just in time for ice out for lots of you!

And Carver? Anytime you wanna take over the role of Forum Trend Setter, just let me know. I feel like I oughta change my handle to 'Betaman'!

Well, at the rate I've been racking up miles lately, these should be toast by March or April at the latest. Just in time for ice out for lots of you!
And Carver? Anytime you wanna take over the role of Forum Trend Setter, just let me know. I feel like I oughta change my handle to 'Betaman'!
Can't do the FTS role TWN. Just don't like piercings and tattoos. :dribble:

Can't do the FTS role TWN. Just don't like piercings and tattoos. :dribble:
What happened to your face, then? :dntknw:

My only nit is the label that they stuck on both tires. Jeez, what a pain to remove! I finally gave up and just ‘ran’ the damn labels off. That has to be the gooiest, most sticky adhesive I’ve ever come across.
What? You didn't just do a couple burnouts to remove the adhesive? How un-TWN-like! :)

Nice review BTW ;)