Avon Storms

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will you guys PLEASE stop drinking long enough to run 5,000 or so on those damn Avons.

I NEED TEST RESULTS!

Love ya, mean it!

:)

I don't know when I'll get to have them installed, but I ordered a set of the Storms for my 06 FJR today. The tires were not yet in any of the catalogs, but Apex's tire guy is really good, ran them down, and they should be at the dealership in a couple of days. Who knows when I'll be able to get the bike out of my place (the snow is DEEPPPPP) to get them installed. Apex Sports in Colorado Springs always takes good care of me -- I've purchased several bikes from them over the years.

I think I'm getting a really good deal on the tires. $99 for the front and $136 for the rear (or something very close to this).

Ordered the storms from SWMoto Sunday night online and they were at my doorstep last night (Tuesday). Outstanding looking. Now just waiting for Sport Bike Effects to get me the 90 degree stems. Interesting I ordered them at the same time, Sport Bike Effects is in Cali and SWMoto in AZ -- and the tires got here first.....hmmm. Not bashing Sport Bike Effects, just interesting how a company could get the tires to me sooooo fast. Great service from both companies.

I'm having them installed Saturday along with some service I don't feel competent to do (yet)............ can't wait to try them!

Well, I've had a chance to ride about 1k miles on the Storms. I like them very much. I've gone on a couple of local runs, one up in the foothills with some twisties. So far they feel more "planted" than the Metzler OEM tires that came with my '06 FJR. However, I don't have enough time on the FJR to, in my opinion, make any kind of meaningful comparison with all the tires that are out there. I just think I'll like them and am most interested in seeing how many miles I can get out of them.

Having said that, I am conducting and "interesting" experiment with my Avon Storms. A little background. I seem to attract all sorts of sharp metal objects, with my magnetic personality. I've been back into riding for almost three years, now. In that time I've had 3 nails/screws in my rear tires. My MC before the FJR was/is a Honda VTX 1800C. I'm on my 3rd set of tires on the X. I put RideON TPS in my X and I (YMMV) had great luck with it. Of the 2 nails I picked up, both were removed and the tire sealed perfectly each time. In fact, on both punctures up until now, I removed the nail, rode the bike a few miles to seal the tire and continued to ride tire until it was worn out. I checked tire pressure regularly and it didn't lose a bit of pressure!

Now the FJR. I was planning on using RideOn TPS in the FJR, but it was indicated that corrosion was a problem with RideOn and I decided not to use it in the FJR. Well, of course I picked up a screw in my brand new rear Avon Storm. After much thought, I decided to "save the tire". I plugged it from the inside and patched it. I also decided to use RideOn TPS as an additional "flat preventative" I know all the arguments, but my question is this.....Has anyone experienced a "catastrophic" failure with a "properly" plugged and patched motorcycle tire? I have heard of tire failures, manufacturing defects, road hazards, etc. But, I have been unable to find anyone that has had a catastrophic failure of a properly plugged and patched puncture. A puncture that did "minimal" damage to the tire and was in the "contact patch area". Now a puncture in the sidewall, or one that results from a large object and tears a "big" hole in the tire or otherwise damages a "significant" portion of the tire would require replacing the tire. But, IMHO (and for me alone) after 25 years a driving commercial vehicles with all kinds of repairs to all but the steer axle tires, I feel comfortable with a properly repaired REAR tire. I think I would choose to replace the front tire as a blowout on the front would be more difficult to overcome.

So, I'm going to ride the new Avon Storm rear tire until it is worn out and then inspect the wheel for corrosion. I sprayed the wheel with Honda anti-corrosion spray and I'm running nitrogen in the tire. I bought an air tank for $20 from Wal Mart and got it filled at Costco for free. I had enough nitrogen to fill the tires and had some left over. I'm going to refill the tank to have a good supply on hand. Hopefully, the nitrogen and the anti-corrosion spray will keep the wheel in good shape.

I'll also carry a plug kit and small air compressor for the unexpected. I just hope I never have to use them. Oh, in addition to commuting 40 miles per day, I've had my repaired Avon Storm up to an indicated 140 and been on a one day ride since repairing. Hasn't lost an ounce of air...40.5 is what I put in and its still at 40.5 after riding for a week! I can still see where the screw went in but the rubber looks good and the plug seems to be in place! So far so good. I'll probably wear these tires out before WFO-6 and I've already got new ones on hand that I will put on by July.

LC (Gone to the dark side.) :dribble: :download: :swoon2: :vampire:

Just order mine from South West Moto. I will add my report to TWN's sometime next week. BTW, got 6K from the B20's and was very satisfied. Don't really know why I am switching, but maybe because it is the latest greatest and tire tech is moving fast.

Never again will I put that moist ass-cheese shitola called "Ride-On" in my tires...........

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

I too have had waaaay more than my fair share of flats. Catastrophic failure? Doesn't happen. You're good to go with a tire plugged/patched from the inside. That's the way the tire manufacturer's recommend doing it. Heck, a lot of around here just "sticky string" repair it and then ride until time to replace. No reported instances of problems.

SkooterG's rear tire travails

Never again will I put that moist ass-cheese shitola called "Ride-On" in my tires...........

I too have had waaaay more than my fair share of flats. Catastrophic failure? Doesn't happen. You're good to go with a tire plugged/patched from the inside. That's the way the tire manufacturer's recommend doing it. Heck, a lot of around here just "sticky string" repair it and then ride until time to replace. No reported instances of problems.

Scooter, I knew this would bring you out of the woodwork! :p :D :) Your experience is the reason I didn't use it this time. However, it did such a "good job" on two nails on my X, that I decided to try spraying anti-corrosion spray on the inside of the rim and filling the tire with nitrogen. I know, it's probably not a good idea, but it sure was nice not to have to make roadside emergency repairs on the freeway! I'll try to remember to take pictures of what the wheel looks like when I replace the tire.

As always, your advise is valued but I'm just a lazy person, looking for the "magic formula". :lazy: :rip_1: :yahoo:

I feel better about plugging and patching the tire now with your recommendation. I also talked to a couple of tire shops and, while they wouldn't do it due to liability, it is common and accepted practise for commercial tires and the indicated that properly done it works well.

LC

Scooter, I knew this would bring you out of the woodwork! :p :D :) Your experience is the reason I didn't use it this time. However, it did such a "good job" on two nails on my X, that I decided to try spraying anti-corrosion spray on the inside of the rim and filling the tire with nitrogen. I know, it's probably not a good idea, but it sure was nice not to have to make roadside emergency repairs on the freeway! I'll try to remember to take pictures of what the wheel looks like when I replace the tire.

As always, your advise is valued but I'm just a lazy person, looking for the "magic formula". :lazy: :rip_1: :yahoo:

I feel better about plugging and patching the tire now with your recommendation. I also talked to a couple of tire shops and, while they wouldn't do it due to liability, it is common and accepted practise for commercial tires and the indicated that properly done it works well.

LC
I've had flats out the wazoo since I bought the FJR. Mostly on the Avons. (I still think they are magnetic) :lol: I've run plugs in tires over 100mph several times and had no problems. Don't know if that a great idea, but I'm pretty confident with the plugs.

GP

A local shop I was in the other day in Ft. Lauderdale, FL had the Storms in stock. Check this: $199 for the back and $149 for the front!!

Yeah, I don't think so! SWMoto anyone?

-BD

A local shop I was in the other day in Ft. Lauderdale, FL had the Storms in stock. Check this: $199 for the back and $149 for the front!!

-BD
That's Avon's MSRP -- much too much.

-BD
That's Avon's MSRP -- much too much.
A tire that lasts longer than Michellin, Bridgestone and Metzler and performs much better costs more? What are they thinking? :rolleyes:

you'd be surprised at how many walk into a dealership and gladly pay this ----> A local shop I was in the other day in Ft. Lauderdale, FL had the Storms in stock. Check this: $199 for the back and $149 for the front!!