Avon Storms

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I might try a set next week. After all, the Stradas on my bike are almost one week old, so they will likely be gone next week. :D :huh: :D

Bad thing is that after this weekend in NorthGA, I'll only be able to run the center stripes down until Spring. I'll be on Winter restriction and only riding flat lands. :angry2:

By chance, did the tech mention anything about how stiff the sidewalls were? You know, am I gonna have to feed my neighbor more or less beer to help me put these new Avon babies on? Right now I get help mounting the Stradas for two beers.

Just got back in an mine are on. Only a 25 mile run home, but I like them. To add to TWN, I feel they made the bike more flikable than the OEM Z-6.

I had mine mounted by a friend with a No-mar set up. Front tire was easy, the rear side wall was a bitch (stiff). And the rear was a true bitch to balance as well. almost 2 oz. It prob could have been less if we had found the heavy spots on the tires and rim, but begger's can't be choosy.

How about some piccies of the new tread? Or are you too embarrassed to to show your chicken stripes! :lol:

WARSW, I don't know about a group thing but if you get them or others and you want to bring them up the street you can use my stuff to mount and balance for free.
Now that's an offer I can't refuse. Thanks FJRay :clapping:

Just a little related sidebar note. As I was cruising around the enema-net taking a gander at these tires, I found a little survey that Avon does as a US promotion. Avon Survey (Your name goes into the hat for some free tires.) What is worthy of note is that there are questions that allow FJRForum.com to be entered as the answer. Perhaps if this were to be the answer on many questionaires, the forum would perhaps have a little weight in securing some sponsorship from Avon. Like maybe some door prize tires or something. Just a thought.

av56.jpg
av55.jpg

How about some piccies of the new tread? Or are you too embarrassed to to show your chicken stripes! :lol:
I for one am never ashamed of showing my "chicken strips". I ride my own ride...not someone elses. :)
I, for one, am totally embarrassed to show my chicken stripes. Those are the ones in your chonies after a close call, right?

I just got my Avon Storms put on yesterday. I had the local Honda dealer do it as he charged only $79 to take both wheels off, mount and balance the tires, and put the wheels back on. He also allowed me to "watch" his mechanic do it. My impression is that , while I would have done a much better job and torqued everything properly, he did an OK job and didn't damage the bike.

I had to go into Richmond, CA from Elk Grove, CA today, about 160 miles round trip. I had a "slow" leak in the OEM rear tire, and about 5500 miles on the Z-6's I think. With all the talk about "catastrophic failures" associated with the OEM tires, I decided to replace early with the Avon Storms.

My impression from my urban trip is the tires feel good. The bike seems to be a little more "flickable" and had no complaints. Having no twisties to try on this trip and limited time on the FJR (Only one trip to the mountains and only 5500 miles total on the bike.), I don't feel qualified to say more than that. It did take what, seems to me, a lot of weight to balance the front tire.. 1 and 1/2 ounces split up 3/4 oz. on each side of the wheel/rim. The rear only took 3/4 oz and was put on the right side of the rim. I had a low speed "wobble" with the OEM tires and still have one, albeit reduced. Just for grins I've ordered some ceramic balancing beads, which I'm going to try.

All in all the Avon's feel solid and predictable on the freeway. I'll report on milage, how the balancing beads work, etc. later...

LC

Aha...another norcal rider to bother! Yea! LastChance, make sure to ride with us sometime (see ride planning and look for NorCal rides).

I get my Storms next week...will advise as well!

Aha...another norcal rider to bother! Yea! LastChance, make sure to ride with us sometime (see ride planning and look for NorCal rides).
Uhm, a careful look at the list for the ride to the Int'l Bike Show would see that his handle is there. If the storm will break a bit on Sunday after church, we are going to meet for coffee and a short ride. Wanna come along?

Last edited by a moderator:
Uhm, a careful look at the list for the ride to the Int'l Bike Show would see that his handle is there. If the storm will break a bit on Sunday after church, we are going to meet for coffee and a short ride. Wanna come along?
A short ride is all I can do. I have these crappy, no grip Michellin Pilot Roads almost to their chords.

I ordered a set of Storms yesterday, but won't be riding on them until I put on another 1200 miles or get a flat... whichever occurs first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothin's free. You sold your soul for those things. Like I said before, the shame will linger long after the tires wear out.

Being the WFO-5 man-boob contest winner is an honor of dubious distinction, IMO. It also denigrates men as objects, rather than beings, with feelings and distinct personality traits, making us seem more like women. You've done a tremendous disservice to your gender. I hope you enjoy your tires. :****: :D
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey -

Man-boobs.

Tiara.

And every time I put on my WFO5 Tshirt, I have this image ........ and it ain't my tires. :huh:

Besides - aren't we all pioneers in this sport? Radman is just expanding the 'envelope' - and his efforts in winning the contest make me proud.

Have any of you poured ice water down your shirt in order to ... ah.... well..... hmmmm...... ah....

Oh, crap. never mind. :blink:

(gee - did this posting get a we bit sidetracked here? )

Just a little related sidebar note. As I was cruising around the enema-net taking a gander at these tires, I found a little survey that Avon does as a US promotion. Avon Survey (Your name goes into the hat for some free tires.) What is worthy of note is that there are questions that allow FJRForum.com to be entered as the answer. Perhaps if this were to be the answer on many questionaires, the forum would perhaps have a little weight in securing some sponsorship from Avon. Like maybe some door prize tires or something. Just a thought.

Went for a ride today, and my Z6 rear was fine before the ride. One hundred miles later at 7600 there is cord starting to show. Came online, read about the Storms here and at other threads, and after my dealer didn't even know what they are, ordered a set online. I am grateful to all the posters. I haven't finished this thread, but I'm hoping TWN or somebody has put some decent mileage on them and posted a review. I did fill out the questions for a set of tires and said I heard about the Avons on FJRforum.com (just doing my part).

One quick question, the FJR calls for a ZR rated tire and the Avon Storms say 'R' ...shouldn't matter should it?

Thanks again for all the info.

Hey Shiny,

The Storm are rated ZR. The R stands for radial and the Z is the speed rating. If you look up on the Avon web site it will show that all the Storm tires are ZR rated.

Bill