Avons on the way

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope like hell I get HALF the miles you guys are reporting.

Michelin Pilot Sports, while granted soft tires, last me about 5-6 thou on my Kawasaki, so I'm not used to seeing mileage like you guys talk about on bike tires.

However, that said, I've put 10k on the tires on my '04 since I purchased it September '05 and the Avons were already used at that point. Don't know how many miles they already had on them, but I'm impressed with what I see.

Last two Avon fronts - Over 18,000 each. Last one replaced at 18,600.

Last and current Avon rears - Over 12,000 each. Last one did 12,750 when it decided it wanted to get screwed (literally), and the current one has 12,900 and should be showing cords any day now.

YMMV (Literally)

13,700 and STILL no cords! :angry2: What's a guy gotta do to see some friggin cords for crying out loud? Surely, ANY DAY now.

I can't believe how these have worn. I have been saying, "I'll see cords any day now" for a couple months. Way back when, I was sure this rear tire wouldnt' go past 11,000 miles nor see the end of March. It sure wears slow at the end. I guess because there is more surface area to absorb the forces since the tire has flattend out, and so therefore wears slower.

Geeze, I got the Cal24 rally coming up in a week and a half, and I will have to put a new rear on before that. I better see some cords before then, darnit!

Everybody wish me luck. :blink:

BTW - Front and rear Avons from SWMotoTire to anywhere outside of Arizona, $225 shipped.

And finally moving this thread to its proper home........
You want cords? Do a burnout ya pansy.... sheesh... ;)

I recently stopped by a local dealer. Well, local to my current locale, as I am currently homeless until the new house is built.

I stopped by the local stealer. For Avons, he wanted $470 installed. Then, this 'tard proceeded to tell me that I shouldn't buy tires from the internet as they were second run tires. He then said he would recommend the Shinkos over the Avons. I don't need new tires yet, as I only have about 3k (the result of buying in the late riding season in Utah and travelling for a living). However, I plan on a lot of trips this summer. I told him that I wasn't ready, but interested in checking prices. Ouch.

Then, I was getting ready for my oil change. He said he would ONLY use YamaLube, as if you use anything else, it will feel like the transmission is broken. Wow. Holy cow.

This, coming from a dealer that can't keep his showroom clean, and next to those nice Yamahas is selling Chinese motorcycles. Well, needless to say, Perry's Yamaha in Pascagoula won't be seeing any more business from me, is quite the understatement.

And while I like the prices of tires from the 'net, I can't say I want to change the tires myself. So, do you guys use independent shops to get your tires changed?

Yes, I use motorcycle repair/tire shops to swap out my Internet bought "seconds". But I live in a pretty big metro area, and there are a bunch to choose from. Typically costs about $15 to $25 per tire off the bike to have them mounted.

Yes, I use motorcycle repair/tire shops to swap out my Internet bought "seconds". But I live in a pretty big metro area, and there are a bunch to choose from. Typically costs about $15 to $25 per tire off the bike to have them mounted.
Hmmm...interesting. So if my local dealer wants $25 per wheel to do an off-the-bike install, then that appears to be in line with what you see in your area.

Now I have to decide if it's worth $50 to have someone else do the change for me, since I already ordered a set of tire spoons along with my Avons.

I'd kinda like trying the install myself, for two reasons:

1) Save $50 :)

2) Feeling of accomplishment.

Not worried about spooning the new tires on...but am worried about breaking the bead on the old ones. We shall see.

Hmmm...interesting. So if my local dealer wants $25 per wheel to do an off-the-bike install, then that appears to be in line with what you see in your area.

Now I have to decide if it's worth $50 to have someone else do the change for me, since I already ordered a set of tire spoons along with my Avons.

I'd kinda like trying the install myself, for two reasons:

1) Save $50 :)

2) Feeling of accomplishment.

Not worried about spooning the new tires on...but am worried about breaking the bead on the old ones. We shall see.

:haha: Snigger.

My last set of Avons cost me $230 or so from my dealer. Free mounting and balancing when I bring in the rims.

I stopped by the local stealer. For Avons, he wanted $470 installed. Ouch.
That's a fair price IMO, if your a person who considers $5K chump change. :D

And NO mention of any pre-lube for $470, double 'ouch'

Disclaimer - Any of you guys want to get rid of your second run internet tires, please PM me for the ship too address. No reasonable offer refused. :p

That's cool. I will be living in the Dallas Metroplex area late summer/early fall. So, then I will have my choice of any number of places. However, spending the summer in Biloxi, MS will certainly narrow my selection :(

I have broken the bead on car tires by using an old bumper jack. Set the base of the jack on the edge of the tire up close to the rim and use the weight of the car to pop the bead. You'd have to make a nice bed of non-abrasive material to lay the wheel on first.

I have new Avons with about 1000 miles on them on my 05 FJR. Had to send back the first front tire they sent, terrible wobble at b50 mph or better. It turns out the tire was out of round. The second tire is better, but by no means is it perfect. At 100 mph or more there is a very noticeable bounce in the front, kinda scary. Needless to say I don't feel comfortable going this fast anymore. I think these tires are over-rated, even if they get great mileage, they seem to be poorly made, as if the company has little or no quality control. I won't buy another set.

I have new Avons with about 1000 miles on them on my 05 FJR. Had to send back the first front tire they sent, terrible wobble at b50 mph or better. It turns out the tire was out of round. The second tire is better, but by no means is it perfect. At 100 mph or more there is a very noticeable bounce in the front, kinda scary. Needless to say I don't feel comfortable going this fast anymore. I think these tires are over-rated, even if they get great mileage, they seem to be poorly made, as if the company has little or no quality control. I won't buy another set.

Sure it's not a poor job of balancing? Or a wheel issue?

I have 60,000 miles on several sets of Avons, and they all have seen speeds over 150mph. Rock solid stable.

My Avons showed up at the office today.

Have to drive the cage tomorrow to get 'em home, so I won't be able to put 'em on 'til tomorrow night. Hopefully.

$260.97 including delivery from Washington State to Florida...clear across the fruited plains. And that price included a couple of tire spoons for self-destruction...I mean self-installation. :)

I'm REAL happy with that price. That would have gotten me a rear installed at my local dealer.

Wish me luck.

Well, it looks like it's off to the dealer anyway. :(

Broke down the beads okay, but after 4 abdominal herna repairs in the last 2 years, I just can't exert enough force to lift the bead over the rim with the tire irons. Only get the bead about halfway up and the strain on my gut is unbearable.

Don't wanna go through another repair, so it's off to the dealer we go.

DAMN!!!

Maybe you need to put a persuader (length of pipe or something for leverage) on the handle end of those spoons. I haven't tried to change mine yet but plan to do the next set myself. I ordered the Harbor Freight stand and I hope it gets here soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe you need to put a persuader (length of pipe or something for leverage) on the handle end of those spoons. I haven't tried to change mine yet but plan to do the next set myself. I ordered the Harbor Freight stand and I hope it gets here soon.
I had considered it...but only for about half a second. Working WITHOUT a stand like the Harbor Freight and there's no way to get the leverage while maintaining control over the rim AND not ripping out about $50,000 worth of surgical results.

Screw it....$50 bucks for mounting and balancing at FunBike Center and be done with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, this will probably be my last reply to my own post.

Dropped off my new tires and rims at the dealer this morning, with a promise to pick 'em up at lunch.

Stopped in a little after noon to pay the bill and load up my car's trunk.

Fortunately, the dealer's parking lot sits adjacent to a Taco Bell.

Fortunate, because it gave me a place to kill some time while they reversed the installation on my rear rim so the arrow on the tire matched up with the arrow on the rim. Yep....they had the rotation orientation wrong. Thankfully, at least the front was mounted correctly.

So I'm enjoying my chalupa and who should walk in to grab a bite, but the service manager, Mike, who recognizes me and comes over to chat. I mention the tire problem, to which he shrugs and says "it happens."

That's when I remind him that in his office, at the service writer's desk, are pictures of his technical staff (the wrench monkeys). At the bottom of each of their pictures is a nameplate AND their years of service. Each of them have 11 years of service. I comment about their years of service and crack wise "thank God some newbie wasn't working on my tires...they might have put 'em on right the first time."

He didn't laugh...

:rofl:

LOL. That was a nice line for the manager. When I take my tires in to be changed, I take a black wax marker and draw an arrow or two on the rim to indicate the direction of rotation. It's possible that you'll get some bimbo who's used to the shaft drive BMW bikes (right side drive) who doesn't know that the FJR has a left side drive.