Back Seat Removal

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

commtrd

Reaction score
Has anyone modified their ride by removing the back seat and fabricating a cover that would facilitate carrying bags etc.? I will never use my bike for riding two up (wife refuses to ride on anything that is not a hardly bagger) and I need a lot more carrying capacity as I commute twice a week from Corpus Christi to Houston and back. Not too much into towing a trailer with the FJR.

If anyone has done something like this, please post some pix to show how it looks and the design.

Would something like this be of interest? Bag expands to double the height if needed.

rkabag.jpg

Has anyone modified their ride by removing the back seat and fabricating a cover that would facilitate carrying bags etc.? I will never use my bike for riding two up (wife refuses to ride on anything that is not a hardly bagger) and I need a lot more carrying capacity as I commute twice a week from Corpus Christi to Houston and back. Not too much into towing a trailer with the FJR.
If anyone has done something like this, please post some pix to show how it looks and the design.
I made my own rear storage compartment that replaces the rear seat. Possibly soon, I'm thinking about making a fiberglass cover/cowl type of thing for the rear seat. It will be strong enough to support a luggage rack that would give you full capacity to the rear rack.

It will be able to slip on over the rear seat, and be held in place by the front seat.

It will be paintable and look like a rear seat cowl on some of the sportbikes.

I'd have to send one to Gary to fab up a nice matching rack to compliment his excellent work. This way you'd have one continuous rack to store/carry larger items.

The really cool thing about this idea is that you'll be able to 'bolt on" anything you want to it. Another trunk, briefcase/computer case, another rack, fuel cell, missle launcher, etc. etc.

The top section will be multiple layers of fiberglass for extra strength.

All I need is another doner rear seat, and I can get started. I only have my original seat left after making my own storage piece from the extra seat base.

Next time a rear seat comes along cheap, I'll grab it and use it for my mold.

Do you think it would sell? ;)

I'm sure it would sell, as long as it comes in under $600.00 ;)

Thanks for the replies. Is this a great board, or what?

I would be interested in seeing a photo of the fiberglass deal that would take the place of or fit over the current back seat. With the price of gas, I am looking to get my bike set up to kind of take the place of my truck for a lot of the commuting and running around I normally do.

As for the wife and her hardly fixation, I just don't know how to argue with sheer stupidity!

I have an '06 on order (with clutch). I wish they would just stock 'em in store...

I would be interested in seeing a photo of the fiberglass deal that would take the place of or fit over the current back seat. With the price of gas, I am looking to get my bike set up to kind of take the place of my truck for a lot of the commuting and running around I normally do.
You mean like this?

11868.jpg

I still say that looks like some mutant growth that started out under the seat and leaked out between the front/rear seat.

Well that certainly is interesting...maybe if it flattened out on top to where a rack custom built to fit over the top of the thing was there. I see that back seat and I think there is a lot of useable space to be had. That thing sticking up doesn't complement the lines of the bike (my opinion, everyone's got one etc.)

Those racks Gary make look too cool. I am going to get him to build me a custom for my '06. I suspect there are going to be a lot more people looking to use their bikes for more utilitarian purposes with gas prices spiraling out of control to the upside...

One of the long distance guys makes a flat shelf with a gas tank under it (Doug Tangy, I think). Legal for Iron Butt, and gives lots of carrying space. No lockable cover.

I still think that thing needs some "mini" stake sides. But, it sure is functional.

Last edited by a moderator:
Returning from the LOE1000 last weekend, with my ultra-cool Tanji fuel cell, I went exactly 500 miles before filling up. Fuel cell was completly empty, and main tank took 5.8 gallons.

Bike Effects - You got more info on that tailbag?

Last edited by a moderator:
If price is no object you could get Corbins Smuggler trunk for the FJR. It is well integrated with the lines of the bike.

Also Luggage locker makes a nice Cordura tailpiece that hold alot. It fits over the rear seat and doesn't require bungee cords. go to www.luggagelocker.com.

Glenn