BackOff XP on '07 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRocketMan

Reaction score
I attempted to install an SD BackOff XP module which seemed very easy to do but apparently I am unable. I installed and when I applyu the brakes, the rear brake light blinks but never goes solid after the supposed 3 "flashes". Has anyone else run into anything similar? I can't iamgien what I could be missing as I have tried many times with the same result.

Installed this unit several weeks ago with no problems. Sorry, but I don't remember the color code, but that is easy to check using a VOM or test light. You might try search function as I seem to remember a thread on this installation.

I attempted to install an SD BackOff XP module which seemed very easy to do but apparently I am unable. I installed and when I applyu the brakes, the rear brake light blinks but never goes solid after the supposed 3 "flashes". Has anyone else run into anything similar? I can't iamgien what I could be missing as I have tried many times with the same result.
Mine work OK. I have a led license plate frame which I use the XP on and leave the stock lights work as from factory.

You do have one wire left over right? There are two wires for the lights, one causes the lights to blink several times and then stays solid, the other the red wire with white stripe causes the blink, solid to be a repeating pattern. The red wire with white stripe should not be connected to anything in this installation. I actually have these wires wired through a SPDT switch so that I can choose which pattern I want with the flick of a switch.

If this is not the problem I would try contacting SD, as you said it is an easy install, might be a faulty module?

I just popped the standard version in my '07 and it works great. My understanding is that the XP is for LED lights :huh: Do check your wiring tho as the BackOff modules are very picky as to the way there wired.

I also purchased the Backoff unit, NOT the XP for a 07. Would you be able to tell me where you cut the wires? Can you possible post a picture?

I also purchased the Backoff unit, NOT the XP for a 07. Would you be able to tell me where you cut the wires? Can you possible post a picture?
Yes I know old thread.

The Backoff XP units can be bad, that is for sure. I even got one with the wrong color of wires in it. Anything can and does happen if it comes from Signal Dynamics.

If a unit doesn't work, first make sure the ground is good. Next, make sure the wire colors are correct. If it still doesn't work send it back.

I just made a plug and play kit for the VStrom. If anyone would like a plug and play kit for the FJR, send me some photos of the rear connector and its wires.