Backrest for Givi V46 info wanted

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint

Reaction score
I'm looking to get a better more supportive backrest for the passenger seat of my 2005 FJR. I currently have a Givi V46 trunk. The backrest that came from Givi isn't comfortable, and is also too thick making it a bit too cramped for the rear passenger. So I am looking for something that provides lateral support, while not overly thick. I also don't want it to prevent the top from opening, so I am guessing it will need to be made in two pieces. Top part on the lid, and the lower part on the base of the trunk. I have done as much looking as I could, but am not able to find anything that suits my needs. I would really appreciate some guidance if any of you have any suggestions.

My own thoughts are: If the passenger is geared correctly, the backrest isn't needed as a pad, the jacket will have a pad. As for lateral support, I'm not sure why that's needed. Are they going to go to sleep? Are they afraid of falling off?

That BMW thing looks uncomfortable to me. I would bet that those wings are too narrow for a lot of folks. Even gurls. Especially when geared up for riding.

The bike is being ridden by my dad and his wife. She has only gone on a handfull of rides, and he asked me to research this for him. I figured if anyone on the internet woud know, it would be the folks on this forum. I believe the wings are going to provide a sense of security. I do believe she is wearing proper gear. The givi did have the backrest on it, and they took it off for more space. She isn't a large woman by any stretch. There just isn't all that much room back there.