Backrest Opinions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, here's a twist for the backrest question. I've added Sargent seats and a Premier rack to my '08. So I'm halfway to two different backrests. Somewhere in researching these items until my eyes crossed, I saw a comment that one positive for the Premier backrest was it mounted behind the OEM rack bar and would not rub on it like some backrests.

While I see advantages to both backrests, I was wondering if the rubbing/wear issue was a problem with Sargent backrests? There are several testimonies here to the Premier backrest, but anyone familiar with Sargent's backrest, or better, can compare the two?

I have the 12001 back rest from Premier and I love it. The quality/finish is just fine, the fit is excellent and it requires no mounting plate. I can set my Kuryaykun Grand Tour bag (the big one) on either the seat or the tail (without any additional support). the wife loves the feel of the pad. I am very pleased with it.

Mr. Bean' s post, I think, reflects the original post (which was citing the wrong part number of 12002) which indicated the backrest that DOES need the rack... the 12001 is a STAND ALONE.

Chris

OK, here's a twist for the backrest question. I've added Sargent seats and a Premier rack to my '08. So I'm halfway to two different backrests. Somewhere in researching these items until my eyes crossed, I saw a comment that one positive for the Premier backrest was it mounted behind the OEM rack bar and would not rub on it like some backrests.
While I see advantages to both backrests, I was wondering if the rubbing/wear issue was a problem with Sargent backrests? There are several testimonies here to the Premier backrest, but anyone familiar with Sargent's backrest, or better, can compare the two?

Nope, no rubbing issue. I have Sargent seats on my 07 and I love the removable backrest for the wife. I usually ride alone so I preserves the lines of the bike without having to unbolt a standard backrest all the time. There is quite a bit of clearance between the post for the backrest and the OEM bar. I'll see if I can post up some pictures later tonight when I get home. My wife loves it and we've put a few 1000+ mile trips on with it now.

Thanks, L2M. That's the kind of feedback I was looking for. If there's no rubbing issue with the Sargent backrest, then it's got the advantages of a.) matching the seats; b.) ease of installation and removal; and c.) allowing us to use it with or without the rack.

Both backrests look to be similar in size/shape. Does your wife feel like she can sit back comfortably with the Sargent? Being a little further back is supposed to be another plus for the Premier, so I'm interested in whether Sargent users feel like they're scrunched forward. Would love to see the photos.

We have the Premier backrest and the GF loves it. Its leaned back just a scoach so while we are railing down the canyons she can use the grab bars and lean back on the rest. Also lets her recline a bit too while slabbin it. After seeing the other one you have listed we like the fact the premier is cupped or curved to fit in the small of the back. There is also an inch of adjustment with the premier. The surface area of the premier is also larger.

Solid unit. Their staff is great and had the product to my door in three days. Fit and finish are second to none.

Better late than never I guess. Pictures of the Sargent backrest in place. I was pulling back on the top of the backrest with about as much force as a passenger leaning on it would exert, but it really doesn't move much if at all.

It may be too late, or not important, but when I look at what all is involved with providing a passenger backrest I decided to just install a trunk with an integral backrest. I have a Givi V46 with Gel Back pad and matching paint on the lid. Pretty much anytime I ride with a passenger I won't mind snapping the trunk on for extra storage space and it does a good job as a backrest too. When no passenger I generally don't need a trunk nor do I want a backrest sticking up back there. It takes all of 2 seconds to install and remove the trunk and I don't think the Givi rear mount is all that unattractive when the bag is off.
It's another option anyway...
Fred, can you post a pic (or PM me) with the top box mounted. I am thinking that this may be the best option for me when I ride 2-up as my girl often likes to bring more stuff than we actually need - this would work well to expand our storage capacity but also allow her the comfort of a back rest.

It may be too late, or not important, but when I look at what all is involved with providing a passenger backrest I decided to just install a trunk with an integral backrest. I have a Givi V46 with Gel Back pad and matching paint on the lid. Pretty much anytime I ride with a passenger I won't mind snapping the trunk on for extra storage space and it does a good job as a backrest too. When no passenger I generally don't need a trunk nor do I want a backrest sticking up back there. It takes all of 2 seconds to install and remove the trunk and I don't think the Givi rear mount is all that unattractive when the bag is off.
It's another option anyway...
Fred, can you post a pic (or PM me) with the top box mounted. I am thinking that this may be the best option for me when I ride 2-up as my girl often likes to bring more stuff than we actually need - this would work well to expand our storage capacity but also allow her the comfort of a back rest.
Sure. I love taking and posting pictures of my bike. Here are a few. The weather is rather, ahem... damp here right now, so garage pics will have to do. It does makes it a little tough to see that the lid is color matched, sorry, but you can see size and position pretty well.

2212625990098858932S600x600Q85.jpg

2446704700098858932S600x600Q85.jpg

2054376630098858932S600x600Q85.jpg