Bagging the bags

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Riding without bags, want a sexier look? Shave the undertail. Go up even with the license plate.
Great idea. Then you can have an overweight sportbike
Ah, but the difference is choice, flexibility and options. Become one of 10,000 R1 owners and hope you never tire of the racing riding position and lack of luggage space. Riding the FJR without bags is like driving a convertible with the top down. Fun some days, but not a configuration you're locked into.

By the way, prior to my '06 FJR, I tried to like the way my '99 Honda ST1100 looked sans bags, but the poor thing looked kinda sad, like it was missing somthing...like Dennis Rodman without his nose ring. :blink: The only way I was able to spruce up the look of the bag-less ST was to perch my fiancee atop the bike:

Rachel-on-ST1100-070806-web600.jpg

Now, if you'll excuse me, it seems my hovercraft is full of eels, or at least that's what the foreign man at the tabacconists is trying to tell me. (Yes, another Python reference.) :rolleyes:

Nah, the ST is generally a nice looking bike. With or without bags. Now that big ass sail of a windshield - that doesn't do much for it.

Lee said:

>>Riding the FJR without bags is like driving a convertible with the top down. <<

Yeah, I can dig that. I should try it. You lose what? 30 pounds off the ass-end? Not sure if right now is a good time for it for me, though.

Riding without bags, want a sexier look? Shave the undertail. Go up even with the license plate.
Ah, but the difference is choice, flexibility and options. Become one of 10,000 R1 owners and hope you never tire of the racing riding position and lack of luggage space. Riding the FJR without bags is like driving a convertible with the top down. Fun some days, but not a configuration you're locked into.

By the way, prior to my '06 FJR, I tried to like the way my '99 Honda ST1100 looked sans bags, but the poor thing looked kinda sad, like it was missing somthing...like Dennis Rodman without his nose ring. :blink: The only way I was able to spruce up the look of the bag-less ST was to perch my fiancee atop the bike:

Now, if you'll excuse me, it seems my hovercraft is full of eels, or at least that's what the foreign man at the tabacconists is trying to tell me. (Yes, another Python reference.) :rolleyes:
Yes, that ST does look better. :D

I would make another wise-ass comment here, however a like bit of jocularity got me suspended in 7th grade. I shall therefore keep my fingers off the keyboard in memory of Ms. Turbach's, um, displeasure.

Last edited by a moderator:
That shirt sure looks nice. What I mean is, that the color seems to go well with the color of the bike. It's a good match. Well coordinated. yes, lovely. That's what I meant.

Wow, your fiancee would make any bike look good ('scuse me for saying so). :rolleyes:

Nah, the ST is generally a nice looking bike. With or without bags. Now that big ass sail of a windshield - that doesn't do much for it.
Yeah, I cut that ST1100 windshield down several inches in height with the help of an acquaintance who has access to professional band saw. I spent a lot of time drawing the curved, matching-original-design cut-lines on both sides of the windshield using DryErase markers. We put tons of masking tape elsewhere on the shield to prevent scratches from the bandsaw bed, went slow and easy with the cutting speed, sanded the sharp edge, and...voila!

I thought the sleeker, less-of-a-big-ass-sail ST looked great, until my buddy Steve on his FJR kept raising and lowering his windshield during rides, and shouting at me, "Look what I can do!" :hyper: (sort of like a child character played by Michael McDonald on MAD TV). Eventually I caved into peer pressure and just bought the damn thing. (Sold the ST on eBay for $5100 a few weeks ago to the guy who runs the miniature railroad at Griffith Park in L.A..)

That shirt sure looks nice. What I mean is, that the color seems to go well with the color of the bike. It's a good match. Well coordinated. yes, lovely. That's what I meant.
why yes, i think you HAVE made a couple of good points...

shu

I would make another wise-ass comment here, however a like bit of jocularity got me suspended in 7th grade. I shall therefore keep my fingers off the keyboard in memory of Ms. Turbach's, um, displeasure.
Why worry, TWN? By the time you make it to 8th grade Ms. Turbach may have moved to another school... :haha: :haha: :haha:

Stef

Is that shrubbery behind the ST?

Where did you get the coconuts?

FJRayJ

Is that shrubbery behind the ST? Where did you get the coconuts?
I'll ask you, good sir, to leave my fiancee's shrubbery and coconuts out of this equation, if you do not mind. Ah, oh dear, terribly sorry, old chap. Thought you said, "...on the ST." :whistle: