Bambi 4 -- Cagers 1

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RadioHowie

I Miss Beemerdons!
Reaction score
Got so involved with the "Exploding FJR" thread, I almost forgot to post this little story.

Happened @ 10:30am this Sunday 11/6.

Took a little trip this weekend (purple route below) to Cedar Key, Florida, a quaint little fishing village off the Florida coast about 15 miles west of the former town of Rosewood, site of a massacre in 1923, chronicled in THIS MOVIE.

Spent the night there, got WAAAAAY shitfaced at Frog's Landing on Frogaritas (on the rocks, no salt). :drinks:

Woke up early, got some eggs & grits, then hit the road (red route below) to head home.

Around 10:30 am, just east of Silver Springs (where the Johnny Weismuller "Tarzan" movies were filmed) in the Ocala Nat'l Forest, a deer comes bounding out of the trees, and gets hammered by what I could only describe as a brand-new C6 Corvette. I'm guessing brand-new, 'cause it's displaying a dealer tag.

Being the low-slung vehicle Corvettes are, the deer goes straight up the hood, smashes the windshield, bounces off the roof, smashes the back glass and lands right on the hood of the Chevy Cobalt behind the 'vette. The Cobalt is ALSO carrying dealer tags, so I'm guessing the two cars are in convoy.

The 'vette driver understandably freaks out, crosses the centerline and center punches an oncoming Camry at about 30mph. Meanwhile, the driver of the Cobalt reacts JUST as badly, loses it and nails the same Camry.

Now, the Corvette, still moving, after hitting the Camry, spins into the Cobalt (poor bastard) and hammers it in the left rear quarter, putting IT into a spin, where it procedes to take out some non-descript pickup truck in the oncoming lane.

And there I am, stopped in the middle of the road, astride my FJR, watchng all this in astounded amazement.

Y'know...those damn deer really ARE a nuisance!

trip.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, I can only imagine how that must have been in slow-motion for you... And lasting only a few seconds!!

Good thing you didn't get caught up in that mess!

Adam

I kind of like the C6 and I'm sorry to hear of one getting wrecked.

Here in the Catskills of NY I have noted that over the last 4 or 5 years I have seen an increasing number of deer grazing along the shoulder of the roads during the day. It seems to be a matter of natural selection, but some of them have learned to look both ways before crossing. Of course now that the rut is in full swing you can't trust any of them to be using their brain.

Radio.. You mentioned that we should meet up for a ride someday.. I'm actually glad we didn't this time, cause I prolly wouldda cried after seeing a new Vette get demolished!

I guess the best part of the story is that THEY were ahead of you - otherwise I wouldda cried about an FJR getting demolished!

BTW, according to yer map, you passed within a quarter mile of me...

Let me know next time yer up this way - and I'll make sure the beers are cold....

Phlash

We had a Taurus come in a few days ago after a deer hit. The doe, a small one, entered the vehicle via the right side of the windshield, and died thrashing around in the back seat!!!!! Thats one Perfesser that won't ever be the same..... :eek: Glad you watched rather than participated, in any case. ;)

Radio.. You mentioned that we should meet up for a ride someday.. I'm actually glad we didn't this time, cause I prolly wouldda cried after seeing a new Vette get demolished!
I guess the best part of the story is that THEY were ahead of you - otherwise I wouldda cried about an FJR getting demolished!

BTW, according to yer map, you passed within a quarter mile of me...

Let me know next time yer up this way - and I'll make sure the beers are cold....

Phlash
Y'know, I was thinkin' about that as I left Brooksville and hit the Ridge Manor area on 98. Was a beautiful day, wasn't it?

Had I your #, I would have hit you up for some cold water. Drink gallons of it when I ride. Hardly ever touch beer, though. I'm a tequila man when I'm drinking to get loaded, Bailey's when I'm drinking for pleasure.

Next time, I'll PM you before I head up. :)

Used to have an Aprilia Tuono, but on 23 Oct, center punched a doe at 85 MPH. I'm now in the market for an FJR. I split the deer in half, slid down the road 120 yards and got up and called for help. All I got was a broken collar bone and some rash, gear worked well! Most common question I get asked? Did you keep the deer! (no)