Bar risers or no?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If not, do you have to change your posture?

• Yes

Votes: 51 58.0%
  • No

Votes: 37 42.0%

• Total voters
Risers? Yes. MV Motorrad. Great relief for hands and elbows.

6'-0" with 30" inseam.

6'1", 32" inseam

Helibar (up and back) on '05 (Gen 1) and seriously considering a second.

Stock seat, Corbin Canyon (-1" custom) & 2nd hand RDL all better for me with the risers.

Back feels great, better than it's been in years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Same here.... Helibar (up and back) on '05 (Gen 1). They came with the bike and I've never done anything with them except leave them in place as-is. They put the grips in a very natural spot for me and I'm ridiculously tall with long arms. It made my old Honda ST1100 stock bars feel almost sporty....LOL.

Mr. BR

5'9" X 31 inseam.

Didn't have anything for a long time then tried a MCL clamp in conjunction with my LAAM seat. Wonderful comfort and seating position...the bike just "fits" me!

--G

Riding home tonight I tried to analyze which body posture made me comfortable or uncomfortable. I found that if I allowed my lower back to sag, and my arms to lock, then I felt too much pressure on my wrists. But when I pulled in my lower back, and leaned forward from the hips and released pressure on my hands, then I was comfortable. I just have to remember to hold that position. I didn't say this before but I had installed bar risers on my previous bike, which was a Versys, and liked the change. I'm still wrestling with this question and like to think that with a consistently better posture I will be fine with the stock arrangement.

Another thing I notice though is that I am always sitting with my crotch right up against the tank. I'm sure I'm doing this in order to ease the angle of lean. And I find the stock seat to be perfectly comfortable. No hot spots or soreness, or at least no more than I have sitting on any chair for several hours.

6'-1", 32 inseam. I have Helibar risers on top of the MV riser plate, bars adjusted all the way back on the plate. Pinched nerve in my neck doesn't play well with a forward leaning posture. This mod saved the day for me. Combined with the Laam seat I can ride for many hours. No risers gave me a pain in the neck.

Considering the low cost of riser blocks or bridges and the relatively easy installation, why not just try a set? If you find yourself unhappy just take them off and sell them on this forum.

Just my worthless opinion but... Riding on the stock seat with stock bar position and being happy is good. Having a custom seat and then custom tailoring bar position is even better. After I spend the money to buy a bike this nice, spending a few more dollars to get it perfect is a no-brainer.

Tried to vote "yes" but the poll wouldn't take the vote without voting for the second part; the second part is n/a (if you vote yes). Maybe change the second question to: do the risers change your posture; any/enough.

Without bar risers, I'd have returned my FJR. It was unrideable stock, unless I wanted to emulate a 16 year old on a crotch rocket. Even with the helibridge and the bars all the way back, it isn't on par with other sport cruisers, but it's good enough to get by. Can't recommend them enough. From bent far over, with accompanying back and wrist pain (never happened before on any bike), to almost upright and zero discomfort. I'd like the bars to be higher and a little wider, but compromise is necessary with this bike (you get some, you give some). I'd buy risers again at twice the price.

The Master Yoda Riding Position should be discussed in this context. Read about it here. Makes a BIG difference.

I'm 5'9" with a 31 inch inseam.

I think the size of one's belly is likely also a factor.

I find the bike just right in it's stock form. Foot pegs is a different story.

On my previous street bike, a VStrom 650, the bars were too high.

On the two before that, both FZ1s, I actually lowered the bars, so I think I may just prefer a slight forward lean.

The Master Yoda Riding Position should be discussed in this context. Read about it here. Makes a BIG difference.
With all due respect to Master Yoda and all his disciples, and all due respect to learning how to properly ride your motorcycle... To Hell with that B.S.

When I get in my truck I ADJUST the seat, the mirrors, the steering wheel, the AC/Heat controls, and the radio so I can sit and drive comfortably.

When I get into my bed with the expensive and super comfortable mattress that I chose specifically for my own comfort, I adjust my pillows, my covers, and the ceiling fan speed for my comfort.

So please explain to me why I am supposed to adjust myself to my motorcycle instead of adjusting my motorcycle to myself. I just don't get it.

The MSRP on my 2015ES was almost $17K. The bar risers were less than $100 and took less than an hour to install. If you are completely comfortable with your motorcycle that is great. But if you are even thinking you might be more comfortable... You probably would be.

Preach it brotha !

I dumped almost 2k on upgrades for the new beast and in happy to do it for my comfort. Tried the Yoda thing and it helps, pretty sure it's designed for help to those that play the iron butt game... That's not me..... YET

With all due respect to Master Yoda and all his disciples, and all due respect to learning how to properly ride your motorcycle... To Hell with that B.S.

When I get in my truck I ADJUST the seat, the mirrors, the steering wheel, the AC/Heat controls, and the radio so I can sit and drive comfortably.

When I get into my bed with the expensive and super comfortable mattress that I chose specifically for my own comfort, I adjust my pillows, my covers, and the ceiling fan speed for my comfort.

So please explain to me why I am supposed to adjust myself to my motorcycle instead of adjusting my motorcycle to myself. I just don't get it.

The MSRP on my 2015ES was almost $17K. The bar risers were less than $100 and took less than an hour to install. If you are completely comfortable with your motorcycle that is great. But if you are even thinking you might be more comfortable... You probably would be.
^^^THIS is an excellent post.

.... I also have bar risers, an MV Motorrad, and am contemplating a new seat.

But I ride the FJR with a posture far different than the Vstar with its floorboards and swept-back bars. By all means, make yourself comfortable, but the overall riding position on a FJR isn't like what you'll find on a cruiser or (I'm guessing here) a dirt bike.

Wouldn't it be interesting to compile data on the correlation between height, inseam and bar riser usage? I would do it, and may do it, if no one beats me to it. Small sample size, but with a little effort and time you could probably build a credible data set for forum purposes. Absent that data, it is interesting to consider whether taller folks tend toward them, or shorter folks. Longer legs, or shorter.

As for Yoda position, that was a fun post to read Redfish, but the counter case can easily be made that we learn how to properly ski, kayak, play football, tennis and so on, not only for our comfort, but for the optimum performance. We take lessons on those things out of recognition that we will suck without instruction. I have been teaching sea kayaking for many years, and let me tell you, the "natural" and initially comfortable way people try to paddle a kayak is certain to cause several problems: Slow speed, sore shoulders, and massive wasted effort.

So both are simultaneously true. Comfort is king. No doubt. But using proper form can prevent injury or fatique.

Wouldn't it be interesting to compile data on the correlation between height, inseam and bar riser usage? I would do it, and may do it, if no one beats me to it. Small sample size, but with a little effort and time you could probably build a credible data set for forum purposes. Absent that data, it is interesting to consider whether taller folks tend toward them, or shorter folks. Longer legs, or shorter.
As for Yoda position, that was a fun post to read Redfish, but the counter case can easily be made that we learn how to properly ski, kayak, play football, tennis and so on, not only for our comfort, but for the optimum performance. We take lessons on those things out of recognition that we will suck without instruction. I have been teaching sea kayaking for many years, and let me tell you, the "natural" and initially comfortable way people try to paddle a kayak is certain to cause several problems: Slow speed, sore shoulders, and massive wasted effort.

So both are simultaneously true. Comfort is king. No doubt. But using proper form can prevent injury or fatique.
This is a great post. Yes, we can adapt our world to our own unique dimensions (to a certain extent) but we also need to learn to work within the limits of what is possible. It's not one or the other.

One variable that has not been pointed out is that not all FJRs are the same. The geometry iof the 1st gen FJR is considerably different from the later ones, and I suspect there may be some minor differences between Gen 2 and Gen 3. For that reason, you need to differentiate any feedback received on the various generations of bike because what works for one guy on a 1st gen WILL NOT WORK for the same guy on another Gen, and I have the first hand experience to testify to that.

The handlebar angle on the 1st Gens was quite livable. With a stock seat height there was no real need for after-market do-dads for the handle bars, unless you were on the tall side of average. But if you stick a custom LD comfort seat under your buttocks that raises your torso height by ~ 1 inch, guess what? You suddenly needed some risers. But at least the plain up (Genmar) or up and back (HeliBars) risers usually were adequate and no change in wrist angle was needed. At least this was my experience over 90 k miles.

Fast forward the new wicked kule 3rd Gen with all the bells and whistles. Even with the stock height seat in the lowest position my hands were going numb, not from excessive weight on my arms, because I was using the same MYRP I have always used, but because the angle of the bars is un-natural to any human being.

Purchasing a Russell DayLong was a high priority for me (for underlying reasons) and that only made matters worse. Now I had a bad angle and too much weight on my hands, even when Yoda-ing like a mofo. I stuck some 1.5" riser blocks on (straight up) but I already know that this is not adequate. I will eventually need to break down and buy one of the solutions that both rises, moves back some, and allows a custom bar angle, so it will probably be a HeliBar Bridge.

Proper form, proper technique, proper skills, all these things are sure to make a rider more comfortable on his/her motorcycle. I am fully aware of that. I am also painfully aware that I am not the most skilled of riders.

All that said, I have no regrets for custom tuning my motorcycle to fit ME. I have no regrets for customizing Dad's motorcycle to fit him either. The addition of a Laam Custom seat for each bike, the Heli-Bar Bridge for Pop and the Gen-Mar blocks for me have made the entire riding experience better for each of us. Less fatigue, more comfort = Less Stress = More Fun. I ride my bike because I enjoy it. I enjoy it more when it fits me better.

If it makes a rider happy to know that he/she is more comfortable because they are "doing it right" then that rider is doing the right thing. I will sit my fat behind on my Custom Seat with my fat little paws resting on my higher than stock handlebars while enjoying the wind management from my Cee Bailey windshield. And I will enjoy it.

Well I decided to try risers and ordered the MV risers from Germany. Blown away that they got here in two days, without paying extra. Install was easy. And now that I have ridden a few times I must say it is more comfortable. I have less wrist pressure, and less lean or arched back. I still need to remember Master Yoda principles to not slouch, but it's a change I think I will stick with. And since it comes with a RAM ball already included, I went ahead and got a nice RAM iPhone 6 holder and it looks and works great. Not the X type, but a universal finger grip:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QD8Q5Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 A sweet set up as the small arm lets me see right over the phone to the speedo. Now I don't have to stick little post it notes with directions on my dash panel to find where I am going!

<snipped> Now I don't have to stick little post it notes with directions on my dash panel to find where I am going!
Hahahaha! I used to do something very similar: printed directions from Google Maps held to the windshield by rubber-footed clips!

Why did I stop that technique? Same as you: MV Motorrad plate with RAM ball for my iPhone 4. Much better solution.