Bar Risers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masterguns

Reaction score
Question to those that may know. Has anyone ever installed two sets of bar risers on a 2d Edition? I currently have installed a MCL top clamp that is made with a riser but that is still not quite enough. I am considering adding a set of standard bar risers on top of the MCL triple tree top clamp that will raise the bars a little more that an inch and set the bars closer to me by another inch. Just curious what thoughts may be out there concerning this matter; recommended, not recommended. Has anyone here ever done so? Will all the wiring and lines still reach. Just wanted to present this to the forum before purchasing a set of risers.

>"Has anyone here ever done so? Will all the wiring and lines still reach. Just wanted to present this to the forum before purchasing a set of risers. "

I'm contemplating doing the same... (have an extra set of risers). I'm thinking the hydraulic hoses won't fit.

Pity that the folks making triple clamps didn't simply design one with two threaded holes and use a 3/4" bar setup.

CrazyFloyd has 2 sets, one on top of one another kinda staggered. You may want to PM him but from memory (my last ride with him in June) he rode a Gen1.
Correct, it's a Gen 1, I have the D&D standards and a set of the 10 degree. When I spoke w/ Dave from D&D, he intimated several times that he knows guys have installed them 2 up, not that he was encouraging it (as I'm sure it does provide more breaking points) but he repeated several times that it has been done! After trying the standards and getting the outside of my palm stabbed, I tried the 10 degree risers, better on the palm; yet I still ended up putting more weight on my wrists than I'd like. I then tried them doubled up, the 10 degree's are slightly thicker, so I put them down first with the factory black bolts to the triple tree, then attached the standards to them with the medium length bolts provided by Dave, then the bars to those with the shortest bolts, again provided by Dave. I'd like to try them stacked one on TOP of another, I'll need to go get longer bolts for that. Now, the guy that I got the bike from did install braided lines, not sure if they're stock length, they do snug up a bit at full lock, but not so much that I'm concerned about it. Problem is, until I can try them directly on top of each other, it still hasn't provided me riding shangra-la. I get the annoying shoulder pain, pinch. I'm beginning to think my helmet and shield combo is to blame. My Scorpion Exo 900 is reportedly heavy, and does feel so, also top heavy. Even on my last day 1,000 mile round trip Daks ride, I kept the shield all the way down for the nice breeze. I'd hate to learn that to eliminate all this wrist, palm, shoulder, neck pain I'll have to ride behind a still pocket of stale air! I got a used DayLong seat, my ass was hamburger by the end of that Daks ride, I took all the risers off when I got this seat to try to eliminate things one at a time. I just put them back on. Once I'm employed I may have to test ride an ST1300, I just want to ride and keep riding, it's getting to the point that I'm beginning to think the FJR doesn't fit me too well. We'll see. Hope that helps somewhat!

CrazyFloyd has 2 sets, one on top of one another kinda staggered. You may want to PM him but from memory (my last ride with him in June) he rode a Gen1.
Correct, it's a Gen 1, I have the D&D standards and a set of the 10 degree. When I spoke w/ Dave from D&D, he intimated several times that he knows guys have installed them 2 up, not that he was encouraging it (as I'm sure it does provide more breaking points) but he repeated several times that it has been done! After trying the standards and getting the outside of my palm stabbed, I tried the 10 degree risers, better on the palm; yet I still ended up putting more weight on my wrists than I'd like. I then tried them doubled up, the 10 degree's are slightly thicker, so I put them down first with the factory black bolts to the triple tree, then attached the standards to them with the medium length bolts provided by Dave, then the bars to those with the shortest bolts, again provided by Dave. I'd like to try them stacked one on TOP of another, I'll need to go get longer bolts for that. Now, the guy that I got the bike from did install braided lines, not sure if they're stock length, they do snug up a bit at full lock, but not so much that I'm concerned about it. Problem is, until I can try them directly on top of each other, it still hasn't provided me riding shangra-la. I get the annoying shoulder pain, pinch. I'm beginning to think my helmet and shield combo is to blame. My Scorpion Exo 900 is reportedly heavy, and does feel so, also top heavy. Even on my last day 1,000 mile round trip Daks ride, I kept the shield all the way down for the nice breeze. I'd hate to learn that to eliminate all this wrist, palm, shoulder, neck pain I'll have to ride behind a still pocket of stale air! I got a used DayLong seat, my ass was hamburger by the end of that Daks ride, I took all the risers off when I got this seat to try to eliminate things one at a time. I just put them back on. Once I'm employed I may have to test ride an ST1300, I just want to ride and keep riding, it's getting to the point that I'm beginning to think the FJR doesn't fit me too well. We'll see. Hope that helps somewhat!
There are a few threads about this, the pic is how I'd like to try mine next, there's also a link to some new ones on the second page: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=145099

Gen I, 2004, Heli with D&D 10 degree - no modifications needed

4591874853_d4b7448f5e.jpg