Barbarian Mod Testimonial

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the positive side, it never hurrts to stay current with your soldering skills...... :blink:
Interesting, I;ve noticed a couple of people say their initial values were 5, 18, 18, 21. Mine were -10, 8, 8, 11. I wonder why the difference??

zzzzip,

It's a big club (we've got jackets!). I tried it a little while ago and couldn't get the damned wire out. Fortunately, I'm a chicken livered wuss and didn't force it much. After bailing, I re-read the post (for the 4th time) and the "un-lock" portion finally took hold.

BTW - somebody should add the words free and hack to the subject line of this mod. I've been skipping over "Barbarian Mod" for a week or two now because I thought it was something you ordered over the internet and entered your AmEx# for. By now, I should be trusting you folks more.

I've had a couple of (installation) beers by now so I won't try this out till tomorrow but I'm very confident. +5, +18 +18, +21 (stock, #1748) and I added 5 across the board if anyone cares. We've got some altitude here in Salt Lake and I thought I'd start out with the lower setting.

Wheeliematic 2000? I may not need that cup of Starbucks...

Thanks, y'all. Ride safe.

Interesting, I;ve noticed a couple of people say their initial values were 5, 18, 18, 21. Mine were -10, 8, 8, 11. I wonder why the difference??
Mine were also -10, 8,8,11. I am in Minneapolis, MN. I think it has to do with how far above sea level the city your dealer is located in - but I dont know, that's a guess. :huh:

zzzzip,
It's a big club (we've got jackets!). I tried it a little while ago and couldn't get the damned wire out. Fortunately, I'm a chicken livered wuss and didn't force it much. After bailing, I re-read the post (for the 4th time) and the "un-lock" portion finally took hold.

BTW - somebody should add the words free and hack to the subject line of this mod. I've been skipping over "Barbarian Mod" for a week or two now because I thought it was something you ordered over the internet and entered your AmEx# for. By now, I should be trusting you folks more.

I've had a couple of (installation) beers by now so I won't try this out till tomorrow but I'm very confident. +5, +18 +18, +21 (stock, #1748) and I added 5 across the board if anyone cares. We've got some altitude here in Salt Lake and I thought I'd start out with the lower setting.

Wheeliematic 2000? I may not need that cup of Starbucks...

Thanks, y'all. Ride safe.
Another guy from Salt Lake City posted up having the same problem as us. Now I don't feel so bad after failing to do it the proper way after reading about how.

B)

I don't think it has anything to do with elevation. I bought my 06 FJR-A in Iowa City. I did the Barbarian Mod today. My initial values were: 5, 18, 18, 21.

I have two questions:

1. Who is charging people for a kit to do this and how much are they charging? It's a rip-off. YOU DON'T NEED A "KIT." You need the instructions on FJRtech and you need to know that the pins to change for 06s are 23 and 25. Oh yeah, you need to find a paper clip and a pair of tweezers or needlenose pliers in your tool box.

2. There are two settings which you can change after you do the Barbarian Mod. What is the "d1rg" setting? I came across this the second time I turned on my bike while holding down both buttons simultaneously. I mistakenly changed the first value on this, then changed it back. What does this do?

Mine were also -10, 8,8,11. I am in Minneapolis, MN. I think it has to do with how far above sea level the city your dealer is located in - but I dont know, that's a guess. :huh:

I don't think it has anything to do with elevation. I bought my 06 FJR-A in Iowa City. I did the Barbarian Mod today. My initial values were: 5, 18, 18, 21.
I have two questions:

1. Who is charging people for a kit to do this and how much are they charging? It's a rip-off. YOU DON'T NEED A "KIT." You need the instructions on FJRtech and you need to know that the pins to change for 06s are 23 and 25. Oh yeah, you need to find a paper clip and a pair of tweezers or needlenose pliers in your tool box.

2. There are two settings which you can change after you do the Barbarian Mod. What is the "d1rg" setting? I came across this the second time I turned on my bike while holding down both buttons simultaneously. I mistakenly changed the first value on this, then changed it back. What does this do?

I'm pretty sure the reference to a "kit" was a joke. A well written joke though, because I was thinking the same thing at first - you paid HOW MUCH for a paperclip (LOL).

With the numbers, I thought initially it might be a California thing as mine and one other bike had the same numbers, and we were both in CA - I have a "C" model which I assume means CA. Then I saw someone in GA with the same numbers. I also wonder whether it has something to do with where they were in the production run - my serial number is 000074.

Guys

Please guide me to the 06 FJR BARBARIAN JUMPER MOD. thread.

bill p

The mod worked great on my 05, now I'm wondering if I really need a PCIII? The bike runs smooth and strong with definitely less irratic throttle at low end, this is also partly due to more riding time and practice.

Quick question on the jumper mod...

Do you do the jumper (06) just to get into diag mode, and then remove once you change the values? Or do you leave the jumper there forever?

Quick question on the jumper mod...Do you do the jumper (06) just to get into diag mode, and then remove once you change the values? Or do you leave the jumper there forever?
Your choice, there is no real reason to undo it. This is a feature on the Euro bikes that has been locked out for the US.

The mod worked great on my 05, now I'm wondering if I really need a PCIII? The bike runs smooth and strong with definitely less irratic throttle at low end, this is also partly due to more riding time and practice.
I don't think you need the barbian mod if you have a PCIII, The mod only allows you to do some of what the PCIII can do. Experts please do chime in.

Co-existance

Do a search on "Barbarian +PCIII"

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think you need the barbian mod if you have a PCIII, The mod only allows you to do some of wha the pcIII can do. Experts please chime in.

Co-existance

Do a search on "Barbarian +PCIII"
You are correct. The BM only effects the lower RPM range at idle and slightly above. A PC3 negates the BM and offers a far wider range of mapping options. However, on a stock bike, I found the BM sufficient to clean up the low end manners on my '05. Admittedly, Wallys Smoothness map in a PC3 would probably be the ultimate.

T120tt,

My educators have informed me that the CO ECU values effect the whole RPM spectrum. Not just the low end.. I think you stand corrected.

Barbarians,

I have had my 07 barbarianized for a few weeks now BUT today was the first chance I got to play with it. My 07 had the standard 5, 18,18,21. I started by the tried and true butt meter testing with my 1st gear throttle wheelies in stock settings. I then went up 5 on all cylinders and could not notice much of a immediate difference. So I set it back to stock and continued my scientific wheelie methods and thought maybe the +5 was a tad better. So, I decided to try the famous +7..........WHOOOHOO!!! She bucked like a raging bull with a 4 foot erection!!!! Very noticeable difference from the stock settings!! Pulled harder, louder and throttle wheelies came with ease!!! I will be playing with this more when my Brother gets his 06 out for us to do Apples to Apples roll-on comparisons. We both have the same setups. Remus Hexacones, we will do more tests with the baffles In/Out with the extra fuel from the Barb.mod and extra Air(we chopped off the funnels inside our air boxes too). I will also be using my Brothers Air/fuel Ratio meter to see what CO values do exactly what with our setups. I can't stress how good +7 felt... I wonder if there is more to be had??

I will keep you all posted!

WW

She bucked like a raging bull with a 4 foot erection!!!! WW
Well, that proves it for me!

Does chopping off the Air Funnel really make a difference?

Sounds like you really hit some optimal performance...cudos.
Thanks 03HiYoSilver,

I can't say for sure if the chopped funnel is letting in more air BUT... I was unimpressed with how the interior funnel obstructed half of the the first two cylinder intake tubes. I noticed when I changed my air filter that only the back half(in front of #3 and #4) of it was dirty(only past the funnel). If nothing else, I will be getting longer life out of my air filters(the whole thing should get dirty now). In theory, the air input should be balanced better among all four throttle body tubes. I know, I know, I didn't unleash some hidden beast with the air box mod BUT.. I am adding more fuel than Yamaha could(with the upped CO values) because they have to balance performance with emission standards... The stock air box is designed for performance BUT also noise and emission considerations. If I was gonna add a lot of fuel(and didn't care about MPG), I would remove the Box and put 4 independent pod filters. And/Or.. I have considered making a second, equal and exact opposite hole in the right side of the air box. This would be a cheap alternative to the pods. You have to remember that you have to let it out faster(open up the exhaust) to make all work correctly. I am not trying to max out HP, just maybe tweak a few more (cheap) ponies to be had by letting in a bit more air and fuel to complement my Exhaust(have considered punching out the cat BUT that might be a future farkle).

Just a couple cheap ways to add HP,

WW

WW,

Thanks for the nice response. I was thinking the same things you were while I was working on mine and noticing 1/2 the filter & air flow seemed out the mix. I may have to buy a used air horn to cut up and give it a shot.

Good Luck on getting those ponies to Scream!

I did the Barbarian Mod on my 'lighter/faster' blue '05A a couple of days ago and found that my initial settings were 13-21-9-16. I haven't seen numbers like that quoted any place else, but that's what mine were. Can anyone comment on that?

I went +7 to all of them and it's certainly much smoother at the low end, but I haven't explored the highly acclaimed whack-it-wide-open at 5K test yet. I can say that, having performed that 'test' on numerous occasions, she wouldn't wheelie under those conditions unless a decending roadway gave her a little help.

EDIT: She'll power-wheelie now!! :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator: