Barbarian Mod Testimonial

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can anyone comment on what the Barbarian mod does to the gas mileage? I'm guessing that it probably goes down with the added power, but I didn't want to speculate without some first hand knowledge.

Lucas

hmmmmmmmm.. <_<

looking at the mostly '06 stock numbers you fellas are posting, i'm wondering if +7 is enough for my '05.

3, 8, 4, 9 were the unmodified numbers. now after +7....10, 15, 11, 16 still falls a bit lower that most others..

i actually "feel" nothing has "opened-up" at +5k.

any other '05 owners care to share the factory numbers?

thanks alan

I assume that you have read this entire thread, beginning in 2006, so you should be aware of some of the nuances of the connectors & pins as well as accessing the CO display. You may want to read another recent thread where the effectiveness discussed.

There should be virtually no gas mileage change caused by the mod if you stay within the normal changes.

Here's my brief "Barbarian Mod" testimonial. Today I rode my 07A first with stock CO settings to my favorite destination (Alices). This ride combines some freeway, elevation changes, and nice and tight twisties. Since this bike is somewhat new to me I'm still not comfortable with the throttle input. After an apex is when I start gently feeding throttle, but since I've had the FEEJR, I'm clenching the throttle (even with the G2 cam on) and end up feeding the throttle late and sometimes too abrupt. I also have the 4K vibrations, fairly strong.

After I reached Alice's and had a bite to eat, I set the CO to +7. On the way back, I noticed a slighter smoother idle after start up. Going home down the hill through some of the real slow speed hairpins I noticed slightly less abruptness to throttle input. It was still there, but it helped the situation ever so slightly. I would say if a graph of the power output was a 90 degree angle, this change may have rounded that angle off. So its definitely not the "answer" for me. I want that subtle control of the throttle when I'm coming out of a sweeper ready to feed it.

So if I can say there is ONE item everyone has said "YOU MUST GET ONE" it would be the Power Commander. And I guess I've just made the realization that is my only hope now. It's expensive, but I want to make this bike my perfect ride for every condition (except maybe Dakar)

-jen

Last edited by a moderator:
Can anyone comment on what the Barbarian mod does to the gas mileage? I'm guessing that it probably goes down with the added power, but I didn't want to speculate without some first hand knowledge.
Lucas

Doesn't affect your mileage in anyway. IF you can control your right hand.

On the positive side, it never hurrts to stay current with your soldering skills...... :blink:
Interesting, I;ve noticed a couple of people say their initial values were 5, 18, 18, 21. Mine were -10, 8, 8, 11. I wonder why the difference??

I have a 2006A and mine is or was also -10,8,8,11. I have gone up by 7 on all and also increased the idle to 1100 rpm and did a TBS. It is smoother or more smooth and better with the on off throttle response. I have had a decrease in MPG with the mod. by about 2 MPG.