barbarian mod

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speedie

Reaction score
I have been thinking about doing the barbarian mod, does anyone know if it will help buzz in the bars? I have an 07A and only about 4500 mi. the buzz seems to have gotten better, now at around 4000 rpm, had my tbs done at 600 mi. already have grip puppies and heavy bar ends. will it get better with more miles? I can live with it but if I can fix it I will. thanks for any help.

Sync your tb's again
He had his done. That probably means he shelled out the coin for someone else to do 'em.

edit: speedie, read this: <link>
Yea, I did take it to the shop, they said they weren't far off and showed me the print out of the adj. they made. could not tell a difference in buzz then. read the link joe, thanks, sounds like co values won't help buzz at 4000 rpm. have not rode anyone elses fjr so I have no reference if mine is normal or not, but I can feel it in the seat and pegs and bars at 4000 rpm. below that its smooth. might take SRT8's advice and have the tbs done again, or not. don't think I want to do that myself.

Most FJRs (and many other bikes) buzz at 4k rpm. It should smooth out again as rpms climb. Some people claim to have quelled the 4k buzz by doing an 'unauthorized TBS' where they adjust not only the air bleed screws, but adjust the factory sealed mechanical throttle plates too. The unauthorized TBS is detailed in a couple of threads in this Forum.

Forum tech expert Radman (I'm expecting a check...) also has done fuel injector flow matching with reportedly good results.

Copy this line, the quotes are important: "unauthorized TBS" and paste it in the search line. It will yield approximately 10 salient threads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sync your tb's again
He had his done. That probably means he shelled out the coin for someone else to do 'em.

edit: speedie, read this: <link>
Yea, I did take it to the shop, they said they weren't far off and showed me the print out of the adj. they made. could not tell a difference in buzz then. read the link joe, thanks, sounds like co values won't help buzz at 4000 rpm. have not rode anyone elses fjr so I have no reference if mine is normal or not, but I can feel it in the seat and pegs and bars at 4000 rpm. below that its smooth. might take SRT8's advice and have the tbs done again, or not. don't think I want to do that myself.
thanks ionbeam, sounds like some are worse than others, I have a throtlemister so it helps, a must have, after about an hour my right hand would be numb. It does smooth out at higher rpm's but 3800 to 4200 is where I cruise on longer trips. other than the buzz I love everything about this bike! Thanks guys

Some like mine buzz more than others and at least in my case nothing will help..I have tried it all :angry2:

Cary

If all the normal things fail to quell the buzz there is a convoluted procedure to tighten the engine bolts which effects engine vibrations. Some owners have had their dealer redo the engine bolts and it has helped the vibrations. Most of the lower plastic has to come off to perform this procedure and a special tool is required asked for to tighten a spacer bolt.