Bath Time For The FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Somewhere I read about a product that is good at getting melted boot sole marks off the pipes. I're prefer not to scratch my pipes all to %&^$, and the darn rubber marks aren't coming off :-(
Help?
K...still looking for the answer to this one :D :D :D
I found a metal polish that worked pretty fast to get the burned on rubber from my wife's boot. German stuff: Happich Simichrome Polish (polishing paste) in a tube. All other stuff didn't seem to do anything to help get the rubber off...Simichrome seemed to break the rubber down. After wiping/rubbing for about 15 seconds, the rubber just started to go away :)

I use the mr clean wash system on all my bikes loaded with chrome or not.for a twenty dollar investment you will never spend 1 1/2 hrs washing again.the purr water filter removes all the minerals and deposits.absolutely spot free rinse.Soap,wash and rinse all in one handel.itried it as a lark.and it frigin worked.Im hooked for life :D

S100 is absolutely magical stuff. Just make sure bike is COOL. I spray it on all over and under. Next Mr. Clean Auto-dry carwash with the hose. Takes maybe 15-25 minutes altogether, then about 5 minutes with the leafblower. Results absolutely phenomenal!!!
McGuires wax products.
I went and Checked out s100 and found various products. There are pastes, can sprays, bottle with spray pump...which s100 product are you all using?

You won't believe this, and I really shouldn't tell it ,but my wife suggested using the leaf blower to dry off the bike when she saw me trying to get in every nook and cranny. As for wax I started using Meguirs tech wax, and I like it alot. Hold up good to washing.

Try these for corking your exhaust pipes while washing/storage.  You can get them at stores that sell dirt bike/Motocross equipment.  About $5.00 each, and they fit multiple size outlets(no jokes please). :p

exhaustplugs.jpg

exhaustplugs-rear.jpg
Air compressors are a wonderful investment for a variety of reasons, including drying off the bike after a wash. ;) (Just turn the pressure down a bit).

Your's will be my next investment ... ;)

Thanks for the tip!

I use Meguiars Quik Detailer...mist it on and wipe it off. :rolleyes:

Meguiars.jpg

I have a tapered spongelike thing that does the front/rear wheels in one motion, even with the MC on the sidestand. Of course the bags come off first.

Well, since you asked :D

I start with Meguiars NXT wash, and you don't just put some in a bucket and spray it with the hose. You measure it out. Why? If you use too much soap, well that is just a waste, too little and you won't have enough lube on your wash mit, which will cause micro-marring of the paint. This adds up over time and dulls the finish.

I dry with a nice waffle weave-microfiber towel. The old bath towels my wife gives me to use in the garage get her a "thanks honey", right before they hit the garbage can. I suggest a Sonus, der wonder drying towel. You will probably have to order it online, since there are limited distributors in the states.

Any residual bug guts need to be addressed as their little dead asses will eat up your paint. Most alcohol based bug and tar removers are fine. I usually deal with these on a daily basis to protect the paint.

Next, you want to run your hand over your paint. If it isn't real smooth, you probably have some contaminates bonding to your clear coat that can't be removed by washing alone. For this you will need a detailing clay. I have used the Mother's California Gold with great success here. This is usually followed by another wash. The good part is claying will only need to be done once or twice a year.

For a world class shine you can use a product called Klasse all in one. This goes on and comes off pretty easy. After, follow it up with Klasse sealant glaze. This stuff should be applied as thin as possible. I buff this stuff off by hand with a Sonus, microfiber buffing towel. In my opinion, our bikes are too small to be using a porter cable or some other buffing machine. The sealant glaze has about a 12 hour cure time, so you will need to let it sit for a while. But it leaves a very hard acrylic shine that is second to none. You can put on two coats if you like, just let them both cure for the required time.

After all this, I usually follow it up with a carnauba wax topper. Meguiars is my wax of choice. Right now I am using the gold class, but will try the NXT when this bottle runs out. This is about the deepest, wettest shine possible on the factory paint.

Now, if you have used the Klasse twins, you have set yourself up pretty good for the rest of the summer. After your following washings, you can use Sonus, acrylic glaze after you wash, which will really make your shine pop again, without all the previous steps. Feel free to put another carnauba topper on it if you like.

For your tail lights, windsheild and headlights, Plexus as stated before. I use Mothers back to black for the black plastic around the instrument cluster, and rear view mirrors, but be careful with this stuff. If you put a heavy coat of it on, it can and will streak. Don't forget your rear wheel well too. All this work and a dirty wheel well looks like crap.

Some sites to try are detailcity.com or autopia.com if you want more tips and techniques.

If you can get your wife to do all that, you are my hero :king:

I found a Turtle Wax product that is wash & wax. Two tablespoons of it in a bucket of water, wash, & ride.

I use this stuff called "The Bom" every day after my grueling 24 mile round trip commute down highway 50 to Folsom, CA and back home up the hill a bit. I've only had the FJR jest less than 2 months so some day I may relax on this 2-minute routine.

The Bom is what the detailer at the car wash in Folsom recommended instead of Maguire’s quick detailer for my black tundra that was impossible to keep clean. (It's been parked for almost 2 months now and stays really clean when it doesn't move - can't afford the damn gas)

The FJR also gets a bath about every week similar to what everyone else has posted except no leaf blower - that is a waste of energy and is just bad for the environment and is causing global warming :angry: and drying off going 100 MPH on the freeway is much more fun :D

https://www.badtothebom.com/welcome.htm - stupid intro, and most likely not paying royalties to GT, but a good product.

Last edited by a moderator: