Battery cost

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat C

Reaction score
I'm about to purchase a battery for my 07 ae, the dealer wants $166.00. I checked with bin-o-facts and the westco batteries were $82.00 with free shipping. Are the Westco batteries as good as oem?

Just picked up an OEM battery at my local shop, Greater Yamaha in West Palm Beach, FL. Not a great price @ $125, but I wanted a local shop in case there was a problem. I also wanted a sealed battery rather than one with ports. Actually, this was lower than another dealer who quoted $160. Cycle Gear also has a knock-off brand for $89, but they did not have this style in stock.

Bike Effects good way to go if you can wait a few days, which I could not.

-BD

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm about to purchase a battery for my 07 ae, the dealer wants $166.00. I checked with bin-o-facts and the westco batteries were $82.00 with free shipping. Are the Westco batteries as good as oem?
Just curious why a 2007 would need a battery already....... JMO but i wouldn't go to a bike dealer to buy a battery.....

I haven't checked,because I'm not currently in the market for a battery,but doesn't WalMart carry one? The last time I needed a battery for my Seca II WallyWorld was able to help me out. I believe I paid about $55-60. They seemed to have a pretty good selection of bike batteries.

Mike

I haven't checked,because I'm not currently in the market for a battery,but doesn't WalMart carry one? The last time I needed a battery for my Seca II WallyWorld was able to help me out. I believe I paid about $55-60. They seemed to have a pretty good selection of bike batteries.
Malwart does have batteries for Seca IIs -- but not for FJRs. :(

To the person who asked why an '07 would need a new battery already:

I replaced the battery recently for my '07 also. It would maintain 12.2 volts if it were just sitting not running, I ride every day over 100 miles, so it's not like it didn't get charged frequently, I also would put it on the tender if were going to sit for more than a couple days. While riding the volt meter would always show between 13.8 and 14.1 volts. But the old battery would never be at more than 12.2 when I'd go out to start it up in the morning. The new battery I put in just before EOM is always 13.0 to 13.2. When I go out in the morning now.

To the person who asked why an '07 would need a new battery already:I replaced the battery recently for my '07 also. It would maintain 12.2 volts if it were just sitting not running, I ride every day over 100 miles, so it's not like it didn't get charged frequently, I also would put it on the tender if were going to sit for more than a couple days. While riding the volt meter would always show between 13.8 and 14.1 volts. But the old battery would never be at more than 12.2 when I'd go out to start it up in the morning. The new battery I put in just before EOM is always 13.0 to 13.2. When I go out in the morning now.
This the person that thinks I need a new battery or something else is wrong. I took out battey and brought to have it tested, off bike it tested at 12.9. If I let it sit in bike after 3 days it tests at 11.2.

To the person who asked why an '07 would need a new battery already:I replaced the battery recently for my '07 also. It would maintain 12.2 volts if it were just sitting not running, I ride every day over 100 miles, so it's not like it didn't get charged frequently, I also would put it on the tender if were going to sit for more than a couple days. While riding the volt meter would always show between 13.8 and 14.1 volts. But the old battery would never be at more than 12.2 when I'd go out to start it up in the morning. The new battery I put in just before EOM is always 13.0 to 13.2. When I go out in the morning now.
This the person that thinks I need a new battery or something else is wrong. I took out battey and brought to have it tested, off bike it tested at 12.9. If I let it sit in bike after 3 days it tests at 11.2.
Voltage is not a complete battery test by any means. Current capacity is the test of a battery: how many amps can it supply to a given load? Not enough amps = dead battery, even if it's putting out 12.5 volts resting.

Battery cables connected or un-connected?

Yes you need to have it load tested, I would have to agree based on my own experience that you need a new one. My weak battery caused some other problems. Ecu codes and such.

Looking at voltage alone can only diagnose a battery as dead, it can never tell you if it is good...

In other words, if you charge up your battery with something like a battery tender, and even after letting it charge for a good long time, the battery is only at 10 volts, you have a problem. If your battery is pumping out 12 volts, well that's better than 10, but you still need to find out if it can maintain that 12 volts while under load for a reasonable amount of time...

I was able to find a pretty good deal at a Batteries Plus shop last week. Wally world doesn't carry the size we need (although it has most others) and my Cycle Gear never has this size in stock. I paid $95 for mine and its a sealed unit. Fella at the shop says should last a good couple of years w/ a tender.

Thoughts from a FNG

I'm sorry I don't of the top of my head. I have the box from the new oem battery in my garage and I'll check on it when I get home later on tonite

OK, apparently others have checked WallyWorld and it's a no-go. How about Interstate batteries? I had a Cycle-Tron in the Seca that lasted for years. They would most likely have to order it for you,but any store that sells Interstate should be able to get one. Interstate's site lists the P/N as CYT14B-BS, they say suggested retail is $188.95, so this may not be a decent alternative. Sorry for the multiple references to my old bike,but it served me well for 14 years. :D It is still for sale,if anyone knows someone who needs a great starter bike.

Mike