Battery Life

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

coach5

I took delivery of a 2005 in March last year. Rode it to the end of October, stored it indoors, hooked up a battery tender about every three weeks for a week at a time (maintaining three batteries for the winter). When I tried to start it, no go. The battery was showing 12.8 volts. I put it on a 2 amp charger for 2 hours, voltage was showing 13.7 volts. Put the battery back in the bike, no go. The dealer said Yamaha would not replace it under warranty, as the bike had been through a storage period. Note that the cost of the Yamaha replacement is $180 (Canadian) and it comes with only a 30 day warranty. Note also that someone else in town had purchased the Yamaha replacement in January, and it had failed in March. Yamaha would not replace it.

My previous ride was a 1990 VFR750 with a Yuasa MF battery. I followed the same procedure for maintaining the battery, and when I sold it in 2003, it still had the original battery, and it was still working fine.

I can get a Yuasa battery for $265 (!), more than twice what I paid for any other MC battery in my life.

What gives - why are the FJR batteries so expensive, and is it normal for them to only last a year?

Before you buy anything, take a look at this AGM battery offered by forum member bikeeffects, comes with discount and free shipping. (Not sure about north of the border though)

Sealed AGM Battery

Last edited by a moderator:
2 1/2 years on my stock battery, which had a lot of winter neglect the first year, battery tender TLC as of late. Still going strong. Mileage does vary on these suckers.

Some have mentioned WestCo battery as an alternative--about $70.

edit: I see Skyway beat me to it with his post. Same battery I had heard about, better deal, thanks to SportBikeEffects.com Smokin' deal there!

Before you buy anything, take a look at this AGM battery offered by forum member bikeeffects, comes with discount and free shipping. (Not sure about north of the border though)
Sealed AGM Battery
2247302-plus1.gif

Jeff is a great guy who deserves our business whenever possible.

Smokin' deal!  I bought one locally for $65.
MM2, Which one did you buy locally for $65? I think I lost the context there....

Friggin internet. Said FLOOD CONTROL and bitch slapped me. Looks like it posted the first time after all.

Sorry. :angry: :blink: :bigeyes: :( :eh:

My battery died this spring after having it on a battery tender almost all winter long. I got the bike in the fall of 2003.

I am replacing it with a non AGM battery. Only time will tell me that I did the right thing.

In 30 plus years of vehicle ownership, I've never had a battery die. Oh, I've run 'em outta juice by leaving lights on and such, but I've yet to replace one. This includes cars, trucks, boats and bikes. Then again, I never had a flat tire until last year, either. Hmmm, better go check the batteries...

I had the same thing happen to me last spring. It wasn't my battery. The spark got fouled when trying to start it in the spring. Battery is still going strong in my 04.

Tom

Hey there coach., I am not too sure your battery is at fault here. I too shut down the FJR at the end of Oct., shelve the battery and monitor the charge all winter. When neccessary, hook up the 2 amp charger untill I read over 14v after a half hour settlement period. My OEM battery is now going into it`s 4th season. And you know what ? The bike has always been a sonavabitch to start in the spring...owing to the long lay off...NOT THE BATTERY. Starting with a fully charged unit, no start... I end up having to use the jumper cables attached to the battery from my ole st1100, then, when that one is almost depleted attach the battery from the wife`s Intruder ! That`s right...3 batterys to get the beast going ! It is a slow, laborious process...have to allow sufficient cool down for the starter motor. But, when she lights up, everything is back to normal and for the rest of the season she barely turns over twice before start up. Of all three bikes, the FJR is the most cantankerous to get going first thing in the spring. I`ve been riding since `69 and I gotta say, the feejr is the most challenging bike I`ve ever had when it comes to spring startup. Wether it is a fuel/flood situation or ignition/computer I don`t know, but what I do know is (and I agree with two wheel. on this), I have always maintained my batterys religiously and they last me a minimum 5 years, regardless of type. I suspect the present /original one on the FJR is no different and when it`s day is up, I will be going elsewhere for a replacement...not the yammi dealer, based on price alone. I have had great success over the years with replacements from CTC. They are manufactured in the U.S., by YUASA! :assasin:

In 30 plus years of vehicle ownership, I've never had a battery die. Oh, I've run 'em outta juice by leaving lights on and such, but I've yet to replace one. This includes cars, trucks, boats and bikes. Then again, I never had a flat tire until last year, either. Hmmm, better go check the batteries...
I spoke too soon...

Went out this morning to wash all the crud off from last weeks ride, switched on and nuttin'. Deader 'an a doornail. It's been on the charger, but it ain't holding. Gave myself some bad mojo by bragging, eh? Oops. Oh well, at least Jeff will have some packaging and handling to do next week!

Wow cant believe it, and wonder why it is hard to start. You as a person sit in your recliner for 3-4 months and see if you move as you did when you first sat down.

why not leave it hooked up and start your bike once a week. Would it not be a good idea to keep all parts lubricated, do the oil does not disappear from the bearings and all other moving parts. I do not live where I have to garage my bike for the winter.

I let my sit and fire it up just to keep it lubricated,seeme simple enough for me. Also the fuel injection is taking a beating when idol.

You may want to alter how you store your bike, and not use a battery tender. Me I would use one just fir e the old bike up. Try it you might like it.!!!!!!!!

going to be 70 next week and sun shine here in ca time to go riding ;)

I've heard that starting and running for short periods creates a lot of moisture, particularly in the muffler cans. This may be counterproductive.

I know when I start mine in 40ish degree weather, after 2 minutes or so, I get steam out the pipes for another couple of minutes until it reaches running temperature.

I'm sure Jestal or one of our more mechanically inclined members can comment better than I.

Hey weekendr.,...bennyb is right on the money with this one. For those of us who live in frigid zones, with bikes stored outside or in unheated garages, starting the machine up during the winter months is the worst thing you can do. Not only will you create allot of water in the cans, everywhere else that heats up internally will produce water. Only riding the bike for a length of time (which is impossible where I live) will produce the neccessary heat that is required to burn off all the water....it`s in the oil as well. Otherwise, corrosion rears it`s ugly self...and not just in the exhaust system either! It`s a trade off between damaging internals and a hard starting bike...take your pick.... :assasin:

One thing for shure I am happy I do not live in that severe of climate.

You may want to just crank the engine over to get lubrications to all the vital parts, bearings chains and injectiors just disconnect the coil wires.

I know if I had to choose I would start my bike and let it warm to normal operating temps. for a few min. That would be the same as going for a ride and getting to operating temps.

Or how about a block heater like ones used for cars trucks,etc., than I would still start her up to keep her lubed. Nothing finer than a well oiled machine to keep her purring and going down the road.

Tried trued and tested it works

think of the reasons as to why it is good and not all the negative

I can't speak of the FJR's battery... at least, not YET as I'm an Oh-Six waiter. But, I can speak of batteries and Battery Tenders.

I have a 2001 WING and I've left the lights/key on twice.... spoke with a neighbor for an hour with the lights on... left the Gerbing controls on a couple times.....

So, you get the idea. I'm sorta 'distracted' some times. But, the original battery still works well.

Anyways, I try to ride year 'round when the roads allow. Gerbings help a great deal.... and take a great deal o'juice from the electrical system. But, I plug in the BT every once in a while when I can. I have a VTX that I don't ride 'year 'round', so it gets most of the Battery Tender time from late November to Early May.

I think the Battery Tender is a great addition to our 'down time' needs. I've used 4-5 of these devices for many years and have been rewarded with quick starts and excellent battery service. I recommend the Battery Tender to anyone needing to hook up a lawn tractor, motorcycle, summer car, yada, yada. They work well and only cost 'bout 60 buck$ (USDs).

Oh, my opinion regarding the length of time a properly maintained battery will last is....... ahhhhh..... ummmm..... Don't know. But, my 2001 WING's juice deliverer is still working well. I do have a new battery in the garage to be placed when I take the bike in for it's "34K service".

But, I think you should replace it before you need to. Perhaps every 3-4 years. And, it should cost 'round $70 or so bucks. Yuasa batteries. Found pretty much everywhere I believe.

It's best to ride the bike often, use a Battery Tender when not riding and get a new 'juicer' every 3-4 years. Or, wait til it STB and then get a new one.

BAGGER

Coach,

I had an '05 that had the battery last less than a year. I tested it with an electronic battery diagnostic machine and it pointed out as having a bad cell, as it wouldn't take a charge. This, in spite of having installed battery tenders on all of my bikes, ATV's and snowmobiles. Sometimes a bad batch gets through QC, that's all. Good luck with your next one, and make sure that it's an AGM.