Battery

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frayne

Reaction score
Have an 05 FJR and original battery, keep it tended in the winter months and it shows no signs of needing replaced. Just wondering how people decide when it is time to get a new battery ?

My 05 battree was doing OK. I could tell it was slowing down and I didn't want it to suddenly quite some where on the road I replaced it a few months back. It had plenty of juice not sure of amps. When I pulled it I could also tell real quick it was low on fluid. It was much lighter then the new battree and I could hear sloshing sounded about 75% full max, I know they aren't comepletely full....

Others have claimed the battrees should last years, others a season or two. Depends on winter storage etc. I ride mine almost daily year round.

You're also going to find these battrees are pricey to say the least. I bought mine at Bikebandit.com for under $100 delivered (IIRC $84 for battree). Cycle Gear had a real cheap Chinese battree wanted about $90 (I bought it brought it home it had like 9volts. I charged it now it had 11 volts and it dropped steadily, I returned it), for a Yusa they wanted like $300. The dealer wanted $170.

I know see that Bike bandit has it for $124, you get a discount if you're an AMA member. Bikebandit.com, Yamaha FJR1300 2005 Cal model battery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Replaced battery at about 2 years of everyday use.It was starting the bike 2 to 5 times a day.

Had a hot start issue and replacing battery solved that.(probably a loose connection)

Still have it on my workbench and use it to keep power to cars computers while changing main battery.

I put it on a battery tender once a week and it load tests good.

What the hell you yammerin" about Bluesy? :p

Three years on mine before the hot start issue forced the change.

:jester:

Replaced battery at about 2 years of everyday use.It was starting the bike 2 to 5 times a day.Had a hot start issue and replacing battery solved that.(probably a loose connection)
Funny you say that, mine has a similar problem. I will shut the bike off for a couple of minutes and then it will not restart right away. It clicks and then the time resets. Turn the ignition on and off, and then it will restart. I have thought about changing out the battery. It also kind of slow starts.

Rick

Mine just shat the bed on Monday after leaving a helmet plugged into the Starcom for a couple of days, the stock battery would not come back to life. Got a new Westco from Jeff at bikeeffects - good price, free shipping.

Have an 05 FJR and original battery, keep it tended in the winter months and it shows no signs of needing replaced. Just wondering how people decide when it is time to get a new battery ?
I never put a tender on mine, it just started in the spring. Then one year I decided to "take care of it" and bought a tender. Put it on the tender for the third year I had it.....SONOFABITCH it cracked that winter. Most likely a big coinkidink, but non the less, no more tender for me...

My '05 battery lasted three years. It went dead while a long way from home and I was happy find a gel cell to fit on a Sunday afternoon. Got it from a place called Batteries Plus. Turns out there was a problem with the relay I installed for a farkle and it was draining the battery so my original was probably still good. OTOH, the one from Batteries Plus is only a year old now and is doesn't seem as strong as the original Yuasa did after it was three years old.

I bought my 04 FJR in 2006 and I replaced the battery in 2008 after 20460 mi on odometer. Didn't really have to, no symptoms of weak battery, just did it for peace of mind. Plus from reading the boards here it sounds like the battery quits with no warning. Four years is pretty good window for battery replacement.

Mick

I never put a tender on mine, it just started in the spring. Then one year I decided to "take care of it" and bought a tender. Put it on the tender for the third year I had it.....SONOFABITCH it cracked that winter. Most likely a big coinkidink, but non the less, no more tender for me...
That's weird. Samething happen to me, did not crack, but was not enough power to start the bike....