Battle ax cupping

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ktrsd

Reaction score
I have seen several threads dealing with tires and pressure settings. Here's my 2 cents. I have about 4K on the set of factory Bridgestone Battle ax on my 06. The front is shot from cupping and the rear is still good with maybe 2K left in them. I live in the Northwest and run my tires at 38/40lbs. I am also what you would call a full figured fella (partial fat ass). I am going to give the Avons a shot and see if I cant get at least 6K out of them. Doug

I have seen several threads dealing with tires and pressure settings. Here's my 2 cents. I have about 4K on the set of factory Bridgestone Battle ax on my 06. The front is shot from cupping and the rear is still good with maybe 2K left in them. I live in the Northwest and run my tires at 38/40lbs. I am also what you would call a full figured fella (partial fat ass). I am going to give the Avons a shot and see if I cant get at least 6K out of them. Doug

Still not enough pressure in the Stones especially for a big fella. minimum 40/42 but preferred 42/42 especially on the Stones.

Still not enough pressure in the Stones especially for a big fella. minimum 40/42 but preferred 42/42 especially on the Stones.

Yup! From one portly (Erm...full figured?) gent to another.....yew gots tuh run summoore ar in them tars! In the Avons, too.

Yup! From one portly (Erm...full figured?) gent to another.....yew gots tuh run summoore ar in them tars! In the Avons, too.

I will take your advice and bump up to the 42/42 setting and give it a run on a set. tks

I have 1577 miles on my 2007 and the front is cupping way bad. Running 42 in both tires. I just returned from a trip of riding lots of twisties (hwy 36 in CA) and while the edges of the front got more then their share of use, they are smooth while about 3" across the face of the tire is cupped real bad. I have 2 other bikes (hayabusa and harley) and have never had this problem before.

Even running 42/42, my BT020's were seriously cupped in the front at 4k miles and rear was shot at 6k miles. That's not within my range of "acceptable" and why I went to the Pilot Roads.

I had cupping problems with the Bridgestones as well. I swiched to the new Avon Storms and I'm very happy with the handling of the bike now. Only time will tell on the wear factor. (I got about 6,500 miles on the OEM tires.)

Not real sure so easy on the flames BUT...

Has anyone tried or checked into the Conti Road/sport attacks??

Tried um on some previous rockets and loved um(The sport attacks).

Just wondering.??

I have 1577 miles on my 2007 and the front is cupping way bad. Running 42 in both tires. I just returned from a trip of riding lots of twisties (hwy 36 in CA) and while the edges of the front got more then their share of use, they are smooth while about 3" across the face of the tire is cupped real bad. I have 2 other bikes (hayabusa and harley) and have never had this problem before.
Check the stem nut torque in the top tripple tree. Recommended torque on the 36 mm nut is 75 ft lbs and many were delivered only finger tight, including mine. This caused cupping on the front tire and eventually a wobble at around 40 mph. You may be able to fit a cresent wrench between the handlebars to see if you can loosen it. If so you'll need to invest in a 6-point 36mm socked and remove the bars to tighten it properly. Using a 12-point socket or wrench will damage the soft Aluminum nut. Auto Zone sells the 6-point sockets for $16.99.

Mine too was finger tight but I discovered that with about 50 miles on the bike and tightened it to spec with a 36mm socket when I installed the Genmar risers.

Check the stem nut torque in the top tripple tree. Recommended torque on the 36 mm nut is 75 ft lbs and many were delivered only finger tight, including mine. This caused cupping on the front tire and eventually a wobble at around 40 mph. You may be able to fit a cresent wrench between the handlebars to see if you can loosen it. If so you'll need to invest in a 6-point 36mm socked and remove the bars to tighten it properly. Using a 12-point socket or wrench will damage the soft Aluminum nut. Auto Zone sells the 6-point sockets for $16.99.

Cupping? They are supposed to cup. Some more than others depending on the tread pattern. Turning forces cause uneven wear pattern as it distorts the rubber next to the groves causing cupping. Just cause it's cupped doesn't mean it's wore out or that anything is wrong. On my '04, I get between 14 & 15K miles with stock front Stones at 38psi front & back & I'm also a big guy. I sorta like the sweet song from my front Stone in a turn...Later,,, De :rolleyes:

Tire002.jpg

Cupping? They are supposed to cup. Some more than others depending on the tread pattern. Turning forces cause uneven wear pattern as it distorts the rubber next to the groves causing cupping. Just cause it's cupped doesn't mean it's wore out or that anything is wrong. On my '04, I get between 14 & 15K miles with stock front Stones at 38psi front & back & I'm also a big guy. I sorta like the sweet song from my front Stone in a turn...Later,,, De :rolleyes:
+1 on that. Tires cup and then you die.

Here's a pretty good dissertation on why tahrs wear like they duz:

https://www.rattlebars.com/valkfaq/tirewear/

I thought I got pretty good mileage from the Bridgestones. But I've never gotten 14 or 15K miles. You must not use the front brakes all that much or use them very gently -- coast to stops do you? I try not to use the front brakes while I'm leaned over. Simultaneous side forces and braking forces will accelerate the uneven tread wear. But most of my uneven wear is due to braking and its deformation of the Bridgestone's tread blocks.

The revised tread pattern on the new BT021 front should dramatically reduce the uneven wear seen on the BT020.

5k and my Storms are treadless on the rear.
:(

Not to rub it in... but....

My non-E Strada rear has just exceeded 4,000 and that's a personal best for me. I'm holding my breath!

:)

My front Strada cups too. Makes nice little noise until I dive into the second corner, then it's all good!

I had cupping problems with the Bridgestones as well. I swiched to the new Avon Storms and I'm very happy with the handling of the bike now. Only time will tell on the wear factor. (I got about 6,500 miles on the OEM tires.)
+1

I only got 5400 on my stock Bridgies, and the front tire was cupped bad. Just had Desert Valley put on a new set of Storms last Thursday. Put about 1100 miles on them over the weekend and I'm totally impressed. I too will have to wait to see on the wear factor, but as for handling and grip I'm way happy. :yahoo: Even got my chicken strips narrowed down to the top of little "storm" word just above the sidewall.

BTW, On Saturday I rode a back road south from Mabton (just north of Prosser) to Goldendale then took hwy 142 down the canyon to hwy 14 on the Columbia... :D No traffic, very fast and tones of twisties! Then went north from Carson over the top to Cougar, had 21 miles of more twisties and saw three herds of elk and four deer. It was a good weekend. ;)