Being cool and seen

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Franko

Reaction score
Here in Texas, it is hot about 5 months out of the year. A mesh riding jacket is a must. My problem with most mesh jackets is that they are usually black or gray, blending in with the background of streets and roads.

I firmly believe that second to having your shit wired tight all the time when riding, that being visible in traffic is a top strategy for riding safety.

Last week I noticed a new Olympia mesh riding jacket that fits my bill. I picked one up yesterday and I love it.

airglide03.jpg
airglide06.jpg

Wind blows through it like it wasn't there and it is the brightest jacket I ever saw.

So... what's your strategy for being cool and visible in hot summer riding gear?

That jacket looks great and will be fine for "Being seen and being cool", but I wouldn't want to take a crash in it. YMMV

The best costs, but pales in comparison to the price of skin grafts and the pain of road rash. Speaking of road rash, ever had any? It's the hurt that keeps on hurting.

There can be only one, at least for me.

ultra2lge.jpg

Kevlar Motorcycle Apparel - the Best in the World.All other synthetic apparel made today is normally thrown in the garbage, even after a 10mph crash!
Read the testimonials, including one by MadMike (crashed), McRider007, and a guy who took a tumble down the freeway at 130 mph. His bike slid over a thousand feet!

I especially liked this one:

I was thrown tumbling through the air at approximately sixty miles per hour and flailed to the ground upside-down on my shoulder/back/elbow (not exactly sure) and tumbled down the asphalt to a stop. Having roadraced all over the county in younger years I've crashed a motorcycle more times than I can recall. I've crashed hard. I've been hospitalized. There are parts in my body that aren't OEM, like most people who have roadraced seriously. This crash was one of the most powerful and awkward I've ever been involved in. Although the bike hit nothing but the pavement it was nearly destroyed. The front tire was blown out. The front wheel was broken to pieces. Both forks were severely bent and I don't know yet the extent of frame damage, just to mention the serious stuff. Truly a sad fate for my favorite road bike, a fire red 2005 Tuono R.

As you probable know I've liked and worn your street riding gear for years. This crash was its first real test for me and I am so grateful I was wearing it. In the crash I ended up basically being badly beaten up without really looking like it. Every body part that stuck out got hammered. Both of my ankles, both knees, both elbows and my shoulder all took a wicked beating. I had bruised ribs and pelvis, among other things and I generally felt as though I had been run over by a truck or something. However, nothing major was wrong. I had no broken bones, no torn ligaments and the like and no road rash.

Over the last two months my aches and pains have dissipated to almost nothing and I believe I will have no long-term health issues due to this crash. It's hard to know what never happened but I believe I would have been hospitalized with potentially multiple serious injuries if it weren't for your Kevlar Air Mesh Jacket and my old, trusty Voyager Pants (the same pair I've sent in for repairs over the years - here they come again.) Having raced and crashed, always in full-race leathers, armor, etc. I've always felt that wearing street gear would help some in a crash but nothing like the "real stuff". I must admit, though, that the level of protection I received from these two pieces of your gear is extremely impressive. Again, I thank you for this.

Equally impressive is the fact that the only repair necessary to the jacket, which took an incredible beating too, is to replace some of the Scotchlight stripe down the one sleeve. It was literally ground away between the pavement and the Kevlar stuff your jacket is made of, which seems to have fared very well through it all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here in Texas, it is hot about 5 months out of the year. A mesh riding jacket is a must. My problem with most mesh jackets is that they are usually black or gray, blending in with the background of streets and roads.
It's funny you mentioned that. I was at the dealership yesterday to drop the bike off for recalls, and while waiting for my ride, I wandered around checking out gear. I would guess that 80% of it was black or mostly black. Visibility aside, just the heat factor of all that sun absorbant black turns me off. Over winter I picked up a pair of mesh pants at a good price. Of course they're black. I had a chance to try them this weekend and I think that the cooling effect is neutralized by the color. I have a silver mesh jacket from Joe Rocket and a silver helmet. I have not seen any mesh pants in any color besides black. :ph34r:

Although I dont have that exact Olympia Jacket, the mesh one I do have is great! Very comforatable, especially in the neck area. Unfortunately, mine is black/silver, and more black than silver, so it does get warm from the sun beating on it. I use a Fieldsheer mesh jacket when the temps hits 90+. Its silver, so a little cooler, but obviously not made as well and not quite as comfortable as the Olympia.

It's funny you mentioned that. I was at the dealership yesterday to drop the bike off for recalls, and while waiting for my ride, I wandered around checking out gear. I would guess that 80% of it was black or mostly black. Visibility aside, just the heat factor of all that sun absorbant black turns me off. Over winter I picked up a pair of mesh pants at a good price. Of course they're black. I had a chance to try them this weekend and I think that the cooling effect is neutralized by the color. I have a silver mesh jacket from Joe Rocket and a silver helmet. I have not seen any mesh pants in any color besides black. :ph34r:
I went shopping for a mesh jacket for my wife this weekend. We went to the local BMW dealership because they have great service and the store is managed by a woman, so she could help my wife.

She told us that grey and silver are the least visible colors - worse than black. She said it blends into the road.

That jacket looks great and will be fine for "Being seen and being cool", but I wouldn't want to take a crash in it. YMMVThe best costs, but pales in comparison to the price of skin grafts and the pain of road rash. Speaking of road rash, ever had any? It's the hurt that keeps on hurting.

There can be only one, at least for me.

Kevlar Motorcycle Apparel - the Best in the World.All other synthetic apparel made today is normally thrown in the garbage, even after a 10mph crash!
Read the testimonials, including one by MadMike (crashed), McRider007, and a guy who took a tumble down the freeway at 130 mph. His bike slid over a thousand feet!
No, I haven't experienced road rash. But, I always ride with as much gear as is practical, just in case. You know, that's why I wear an armored jacket and helmet and boots and pants.

So, uh, MadMike crashed at 130 mph and he is smart because he was wearing kevlar? Genius!

Personally, I don't want to take a crash no matter what I'm wearing. But, the best armor is gear that you will wear. When it is in the high 90s at midnight that means mesh with as much armor as you can stand. To really be safe, we'd need to gear up in full racing armor but few of us do that, do we? Kinda inconvenient for going to the grocery store — or work.

You just can't prepare for every situation. If you T-Bone a car or crash and get run over, it doesn't matter what you are wearing short of 100 layers of bubble wrap, you're screwed. We all make practical compromises with our riding gear.

I wear Draggin Jeans kevlar undershirt and pants when I can, which is most of the time.

Franko,

Where'd you buy the Oly jacket, and for how much?

She told us that grey and silver are the least visible colors - worse than black. She said it blends into the road.

And you believed her? Not that I think silver is super visible, but late in the day nothing is less visible than black. And the silver is less hot. Besides, your pants aren't going to effect your visibility nearly as much as your jacket and helmet colors will.

Fieldsheer and Olympia both make light colored mesh pants.

Franko,

And you believed her? Not that I think silver is super visible, but late in the day nothing is less visible than black. And the silver is less hot.

I got mine at Moto Liberty, but there are several online sources. It was $229.

I also like Tourmaster Cortex gear. It is very comfortable. I like this Cortech GX Air Series 2 mesh jacket with leather shoulders and elbows. It is about $260.

23028_4.jpg

I like leather jackets for winter here, but they don't have any reflective piping or anything that will show up at night. Pant color doesn't matter so much as they are usually hidden by the bike. I've tried several mesh pants, but none of them are very comfortable or practical for short city riding trips — which is 95% of my riding.

Franko,

And you believed her? Not that I think silver is super visible, but late in the day nothing is less visible than black. And the silver is less hot. Besides, your pants aren't going to effect your visibility nearly as much as your jacket and helmet colors will.

Actually I was the one commenting on the pants, and not about their visibility. Texan was talking about the jacket visibility. I agree that the sales lady was probably trying to sell what they had in stock. (being in sales, I will commend her for the effort). Comfort and fit is what you want so that you WILL wear it. If it's uncomfortable, you will be less likely to wear it.

Fred, thanks for the tip on the light colored pants.

Light colors are a must in Texas Summer. But, I do agree that silver is almost invisible all day long. I drive a silver FJR and my car is silver. It is a compromise for the heat. A dark colored car can literally blister you if you touch it in Summer.

Great jacket I think it is a little warm..Compared to my last mesh jacket.

Photo3.jpg

I definitely would prefer the yellow color to the HiViz green. Or is that yellow picture just a bad color representation of HiViz

[edit] - Oh crap. I just went to their web site and they only have one HiViz Yellow color. It's really green, but their website color scale makes it look yellow. Oh well...

Franko,

Actually I was the one commenting on the pants, and not about their visibility. Texan was talking about the jacket visibility. I agree that the sales lady was probably trying to sell what they had in stock. (being in sales, I will commend her for the effort). Comfort and fit is what you want so that you WILL wear it. If it's uncomfortable, you will be less likely to wear it.

Fred, thanks for the tip on the light colored pants.
She was selling us the grey. She had black also in stock. I think she honestly believed what she was saying. But I haven't seen any data on it.

My girlfriend wears a tourmaster air jacket (bright yellow). That gets kinda warm for her, but it's safe. I wear an Alpinestars Bionic Jacket and a reflective vest over top of it. Lightweight and protective. When it gets colder, I wear the bionic jacket under a sweatshirt or other jacket.

Alexi

For the price point, Olympia makes great apparel w/high quality materials and the usual amor/safety features.

Nothing beats the High-Viz color, and yes a full on High-Viz model does burn the eyeballs a tad, but Olympia does offer a good

compromise with a mix of gray/black and the High-Viz, here is what I went with.....https://www.olympiamotosports.com/gt_air/gt_air.htm

There are many bright yellow jackets that are mesh, I'm not a fan of HiViz Yellow, I hear they fade rapidly and get dirty quickly.

I would also recommend a Cool vest that you soak, ring out, and wear and the evaporation cools your trunk down very well. I love mine and it works excellent in the summer for my commute home or out and about.

motoboss%20Cooling%20Vest_310x310.jpg