Being cool and seen

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm reading and hearing how mesh jackets don't provide the protection of regular jackets, but I'm not sure I see it. I'm not trying to be argumentative, I just want to learn. From what I see of my Tourmaster and the Olympia, the only place not protected is the lower front torso. They both have heavy cordura on the shoulders, elbows, outsides of the arms and the spine, with CE armor on the shoulders and elbows. The Cortech GX Air even has leather panels on the impact high places.

Granted, I've not skidded on the pavement, but it is hard to imagine how I would skid very far on my stomach, unless I was unconscious. Does this happen much? I just don't have any experience crashing motorcycles.

I'm reading and hearing how mesh jackets don't provide the protection of regular jackets, but I'm not sure I see it. I'm not trying to be argumentative, I just want to learn. From what I see of my Tourmaster and the Olympia, the only place not protected is the lower front torso. They both have heavy cordura on the shoulders, elbows, outsides of the arms and the spine, with CE armor on the shoulders and elbows. The Cortech GX Air even has leather panels on the impact high places.
Granted, I've not skidded on the pavement, but it is hard to imagine how I would skid very far on my stomach, unless I was unconscious. Does this happen much? I just don't have any experience crashing motorcycles.
Partly, it is abrasive wear as you described. The rest of the problem is tearing. Mesh will grab and tear a lot easier than solid cordura.

This is the reason I upgraded to the Rev'it from the Olympia. The Rev'it is still mesh, but much higher strength nylon (especially in the most probable crash landing areas), much better armor, and a little more attention to detail.

Having said that, the Olympia stuff is good stuff for the $$$.

Best Regards,

Shane

The Olympia Patton jacket's been discontinued, so I picked up one up for commuting at $107, complete with waterproof liner. The black panels are mesh & the red are heavy cordura. Plenty of pads/armor, including down the spine. Only down-side is that if I eat a big burrito I won't be able to get the zipper together.

OlyPattonRedBack.jpg

It's screaming loud in person. This is my first foray into hi-viz on a bike and what I really notice after wearing my old blue 'Stitch is the incredible amount of distance that suddenly exists behind & around me. The only guys who've gotten close have been the true tailgaters and even they aren't as close.

The Olympia Patton jacket's been discontinued, so I picked up one up for commuting at $107, complete with waterproof liner. The black panels are mesh & the red are heavy cordura. Plenty of pads/armor, including down the spine. Only down-side is that if I eat a big burrito I won't be able to get the zipper together.
OlyPattonRedBack.jpg

It's screaming loud in person. This is my first foray into hi-viz on a bike and what I really notice after wearing my old blue 'Stitch is the incredible amount of distance that suddenly exists behind & around me. The only guys who've gotten close have been the true tailgaters and even they aren't as close.
I think the hi-viz red is more distinctive than the yellow. I've seen bikers coming from a 1/2 mile away in heavy rush-hour traffic wearing hi-viz orange/red. That experience is what motivated me to go that route.

Partly, it is abrasive wear as you described. The rest of the problem is tearing. Mesh will grab and tear a lot easier than solid cordura.
Not All Mesh

Which is why I finally sprung for a Cycleport Kevlar mesh jacket. I ridden in temps in the high 90's with no problems. Put in the waterproof liner (super compact to pack) and now you have a fully waterproof jacket. Add the insulated liner & I've ridden down to the mid 20's just fine. Some day I will probably spring for their pants.

The jacket you see on my avatar is the Oly Airglide II. Really like it. And I've said many times that the first time I wore it, I noticed how much more visible I appeared to other drivers - it was noticeable.

I've worn the mesh in temperatures up to about 109 and added the liner for temps down to low 40s. The armor feels solid, yet unobtrusive while wearing the jacket. Bug guts wash off nicely and the jacket looks near new, despite several washes.
I agree with Penguin on the above. The waterproof liner goes on easily as both liner and pants have zippers on the side. Recently purchased my wife a matching outfit and she loves the tapered fit and looks. My buds at the Harley hang-out commented on how the reflective piping lit up across the back.

git-r-dan :beach:

DSCN3416.jpg

I hate the "look" of the HiViz yellow, HOWEVER I own and wear (ATGATT) an Olympia AST in YELLOW HIVIZ with black Oly Ranger pants in cold weather and a Yellow HiViz Airglide jacket with silver Airglide pants in summer :rolleyes: . They are pretty bright, but by golly it does seem that folks in cages see ya better! Come to think of it, I LIKE that HiVIz! Anything that helps the cagers see me is a Positive!! Very satisfied with Olympia gear!

:clapping: HAVEN'T YOU HEARD OF EVAPORATION CLOTHING????? CHECK THIS OUT https://www.techniche-intl.com/content/blogcategory/5/27/
I HAVE BEEN RIDING IN 100+ HEAT IN THE DESERT FOR 2 YEARS WITH THE EVAPORATION CLOTHING. IT'S LIKE RIDING IN A CAR WITH THE AC ON. CAN'T BEAT IT. MY ONLY ISSUE IS THAT THEY DON'T MAKE THESE IN PANTS.
For a ride these things would be great. But, for daily commuting or just taking a ride to Starbucks for a cuppa, they don't seem all that practical.

My buds at the Harley hang-out commented on how the reflective piping lit up across the back.
They can get that closely up behind you, to light up the reflective piping? Or are they seeing other vehicles light you up from their vantage point near the window, at the bar? B)
LOL, I can't make this stuff up. We meet at Clyde's on Wednesdays, 5:30PM in Aransas Pass and ride into Corpus Christi to Knuckleheads for the weekly show n tell and pool tournament (not an official tournament). The one who wins the most games, leads on the way back. :)

git-r-dan :beach:

Funny thread. I've got the yellow Olympia AST and just bought the Yellow mesh jacket. I care more about drivers seeing me than I do about whether other folks like my jacket or not. The only thing I don't like about the mesh jacket is that the shoulder armor floats around. Lorie and I are working out a way to anchor it down so it's not protecting my shoulder blades instead of my shoulders.