Being cool and seen

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While ATGATT is the law with me I can't quite bring myself to wear safety yellow yet. Maybe next time.

I have an Aerostich in (now much faded) cobalt blue. I believe that along, with the refective stripes, affords much more visiblity than basic black. Keeps me fairly cool as long as I am moving.

On another visibility front is helmet colour. I've always had white. Again other than safety yellow maybe the most conspicous. No contest in the "coolest" factor.

I can't imagine wearing a black helmet on a hot day.

While ATGATT is the law with me I can't quite bring myself to wear safety yellow yet. Maybe next time. I have an Aerostich in (now much faded) cobalt blue. I believe that along, with the refective stripes, affords much more visiblity than basic black. Keeps me fairly cool as long as I am moving.

On another visibility front is helmet colour. I've always had white. Again other than safety yellow maybe the most conspicous. No contest in the "coolest" factor.

I can't imagine wearing a black helmet on a hot day.
+1

White helmet for me too. Yellow hi-viz - I can't do it yet. I hope silver prevents the road rash just as well as yellow.

While ATGATT is the law with me I can't quite bring myself to wear safety yellow yet.
Agreed... Hi Viz is fugly as all hell. Olympia does make great gear though. I love my olympia airglide (black and red)
First Im ugly now my junk is fugly. My feelings may be hurt here. Nah... LOL To each his own. I love the Hiviz.

Have an Airglide II jacket and pants (in silver) for the past year. By far my favorite. In fact, I've sold mostly all my other riding jackets because I always wear my Airglide. With the liner, it's good in temps down to the mid-30s. Without the liner, it's comfortable to 90 degrees plus. Definitely quality gear. In fact, for temps in the 30s or lower, I bought an Olympia Phantom suit because I like the quality of their stuff so much. Kevlar is great. Definitely better for abrasion resistance, but the 500 denier Dupont Cordura in the Airglide is much more affordable for most people and offers VERY respectable protection, especially when it's coupled with the CE armor in the Airglide.

By the way, for those who think they're allergic to hi-viz neon yellow, the Airglide comes in about five other "quieter" color combinations.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are many bright yellow jackets that are mesh, I'm not a fan of HiViz Yellow, I hear they fade rapidly and get dirty quickly.
I would also recommend a Cool vest that you soak, ring out, and wear and the evaporation cools your trunk down very well. I love mine and it works excellent in the summer for my commute home or out and about.
I've seen those and am intrigued. Do they get your undershirt wet?

There are many bright yellow jackets that are mesh, I'm not a fan of HiViz Yellow, I hear they fade rapidly and get dirty quickly.
I would also recommend a Cool vest that you soak, ring out, and wear and the evaporation cools your trunk down very well. I love mine and it works excellent in the summer for my commute home or out and about.
If you wipe off all the water on the outside of the vest, the most I have had is getting my shirt damp. I usually don't wear it in the morning (even in the summer here in Vegas), but definitely use it for the afternoon run home.

Have an Airglide II jacket and pants (in silver) for the past year. By far my favorite. In fact, I've sold mostly all my other riding jackets because I always wear my Airglide. With the liner, it's good in temps down to the mid-30s. Without the liner, it's comfortable to 90 degrees plus. Definitely quality gear. In fact, for temps in the 30s or lower, I bought an Olympia Phantom suit because I like the quality of their stuff so much. Kevlar is great. Definitely better for abrasion resistance, but the 500 denier Dupont Cordura in the Airglide is much more affordable for most people and offers VERY respectable protection, especially when it's coupled with the CE armor in the Airglide.
By the way, for those who think they're allergic to hi-viz neon yellow, the Airglide comes in about five other "quieter" color combinations.
Did you consider the Stealth suit? Looks comfortable.

My undershirt does get damp, but I don't mind this, it's cool and it's water. Without one your shirt will be damp from sweat.
BTW - I use a bright yellow Tourmaster Transition Series II for most of the year. The few hot summer months in SoCal I use my Alpinestars T-Stunt Airflow. I really like the T-Stunt Airflow. My jacket is older, not sure of the newer styles.

Did you consider the Stealth suit? Looks comfortable.

I did not, for two reasons:

First and primarily, I already had the Airglide jacket and pants when the Stealth came out, so I already had the warm weather thing covered. A second reason was the Stealth did not appear to have much (if any) padding or armor at or below the waist. For reasonably priced waterproof comfort, warmth, and protection, the Phantom freakin' rocks :rockwoot:

Larry. That's a helluva avatar. whew.

I'm rapidly reaching the point of needing to build another room just for jackets. My favorite winter jacket (mild Texas winters) is my Tourguide bumble bee jacket. But, it isn't even close to being suitable in summer. I've only had the liner in it twice this last winter.

Mine sure got my shirt and the waist of my pants damp. They don't work well in high humidity either.

This is what I prefer to use : www.coolwingrider.com

... LOL To each his own. I love the Hiviz.
That's the way to do it! B) If you like it, no worries. Also, I always hold open the possibility that my opinions are all F'd up!

Dmitri Martin said this: "A sweater will protect you from the cold, and some vests can protect you from bullets. But a sweater vest protects you from attractive women.

Well the same goes for hi-viz, and I'm single!

I wear the Olympia AST all the time. With the liner out is lets a lot of air through and has plenty of venting. And it is thick fabric with plenty pf protection. It is not as cool as mesh, but, as others have said, you don't get a lot of protection from mesh.

And, mine is the bright green/yellow HiViz. I like it.

I recently replaced my Olympia Air Glide 2 Jacket & Pants with Revit's Turbine Jacket & Pants. The Turbine is much more comfortable than the Olympia Air Glide 2 (and I like the Olympia). I just wanted something a little more protective!
I bought my wife Revit. She says it is very comfortable. But it's pricey. She's worth it. Me, I'm not worth as much and buy the cheaper stuff.

I have the lime green Olympia jacket, and love it. I've worn the mesh in temperatures up to about 109 and added the liner for temps down to low 40s. The armor feels solid, yet unobtrusive while wearing the jacket. Bug guts wash off nicely and the jacket looks near new, despite several washes.

Matching pants are not available (and might be just a little over-the-top) so I went with the light gray. Very satisfied all around. I bought the gear from the local BMW dealer, but one of the bigger stores had it too.