Bent Rear Wheel

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRmogul

Reaction score
On a trip out of town yesterday I had a rear flat on the freeway in the left lane @ 70mph. This happened in about a 1/2 mile...didn't have much time to react. I managed to get across 4 lanes to the shoulder and had about 200 yards to the exit which I was able to make. I was fully loaded with out of town gear..was pretty hard to keep upright! Good thing I carry my tire plugger so I was able to limp back 45 miles to home as I already had a new Avon there :p

The bad news is that my rim is tweaked. :angry: :angry: The dealer I was at said they could send it out to someone that does real good work at fixing this kind of damage for around $275. Is this safe to do or should I replace the wheel?

DSCN0576.jpg

I would mount the new tire on the same rim, the most important thing is that the bead expands under the weight of the bike. But if the rim is bent past where the bead meets, I would replace the rim.

You know, I am afraid that everytime I hit about 70 mph or so, that little image would be the all-consuming focus of my thoughts. For my own peace of mind and high speed sanity - I would have the rim repaired. I would not have concerns with repairing vs. replacing. I have seen many, many rims repaired with excellent results. As a matter of fact, I do not know of any rim that ever failed due to a bad repair. If you know a good, reputable company that can fix it, I think I would.

You will sleep better at night.

As for the bead expanding under the weight of the bike: What about the pressures during a hard lean? I would hate to put some decent lateral forces on the tire and have the bead break. If it were a car tire, maybe different. It will always stand straight up. But for a motorcycle, dude, it just ain't worth finding out.

Fix it, thats an easy one. I have seen rims in much worse shape turn out better than new, when done by competent techs.

Well thats good news that I don't need to replace it ;) I don't think I could ever ride at speed (or below) again knowing "something might happen" :eek:

Well thats good news that I don't need to replace it ;) I don't think I could ever ride at speed (or below) again knowing "something might happen" :eek:

I also can't afford to loose any sleep, so I will send it out on Monday and get it fixed. This will be a small price to pay for the peace of mind I'll have!

Anyone know how much it is for a new wheel?

By the way, the photo shows the new tire mounted before reinstalling wheel on bike.

On a trip out of town yesterday I had a rear flat on the freeway in the left lane @ 70mph. This happened in about a 1/2 mile...didn't have much time to react. I managed to get across 4 lanes to the shoulder and had about 200 yards to the exit which I was able to make. I was fully loaded with out of town gear..was pretty hard to keep upright! Good thing I carry my tire  plugger so I was able to limp back 45 miles to home as I already had a new Avon there :p
The bad news is that my rim is tweaked.  :angry:   :angry:     The dealer I was at said they could send it out to someone that does real good work at fixing this kind of damage for around $275. Is this safe to do or should I replace the wheel?

DSCN0576.jpg
FJRmogul, damn, dude, sorry about the wheel :( .

I went out to the garage just now and checked my own back wheel. About 3 weeks ago I lost my tire plug in the 405 carpool lane at 75 mph; same scenario. It was early a.m. dark, I couldn't find my hazards, wobbled across 4 lanes and off the freeway and the remaining 2 miles to work. After work rode to the nearby sickle shop for a new meat. Never gave the rim a thought but I guess I should have. Lucked out, instead.

Yes, get it fixed. Or at least get a price quote from University Motors for a new one.

I have no idea on price. I bet it is a frightening as a high-speed blow-out, though.

I recommend for the money just buy a new wheel. My ownly concern is aluminum is brittle and could fail in the future. For $300.00 bucks I would feel better that at speed knowing my rear-end was sitting on something stable.

Anyone know how much it is for a new wheel?
FJRGoodies (Sunnyside Motors) shows a price of $303.51 for a new cast rear wheel. Against that, the repair price seems kind of steep.
The shop guy thought a new one was $650+ which I thought was a reasonable price, but if I can get one for $300 it would definately make more sense to get the new one.

I'm going to do some checkin on this. 300 bucks seems to good to be true.

I just talked to Guru Glenn @ Sunnyside and he said $377 + ship for a new 04 ABS wheel. The prices are more for the 04's than for the 05's. By the way $303 is the price of a non ABS 05 wheel.

I can order and have it in a week! Thanks Sunnyside.

Hey mogul,,Your damaged wheel is minor compared to some I've seen thru the years..I got run off the road by some dummy in a car and struck the curb at about 55 mph.I hit so hard it split the rim and deflated my tire..The shop where I sent it welded it up, trued it and they spin test them to some crazy speed on a lathe. I rode that baby another 30 or 40 thousand miles.Just my 2 cents..Then again I've run a plugged tire a few thousand miles :eek: :eek: Do what ya feel is best for you.

Find a reptable wheel/rim repair shop and have the work done. They will determine wether it is repairable. From my experddience, more than I cre to recall, that bit of a wank will be repairable.

I like my wheels raoud at speed. Very round.

Hey mogul,,Your damaged wheel is minor compared to some I've seen thru the years..
You are so right...I checked out the site on the link below ...and was totally blown away. I think this is where most get them repaired. $140 is cheap compared to a new wheel and after reading all the stuff on the site I would feel safe with the repair. Bottom line for me is time and convience. I would have to have the tire and rotor (and maybe the ABS sensor ring) removed pack and ship and do all the above again when returned. The double shipping and labor (for wheel/rotor RR) would be maybe another $175 plus about 3 weeks down time. :(

For me I like the new wheel option and only 1 to 1 1/2 weeks waiting for about 80 bucks more.

Here is the Clicky

Also check in the For Sale section in about a week cause my bent wheel may be there CHEAP.

:D

Yea Mog,,Down time sucks :angry: .Thats what spare bikes are for :) .At least thats what I tell the Mrs. :D

Maybe you should get the rim straightened and keep it for yourself.Mount a new tire and have a entire spare rear set-up.That way you can have a new tire ready to go to a rally or a high mile trip.Come home and put the 1/2 worn one back on .Mount a new one on the spare and you'r ready for the next biggie :blink: .I've thought of doing that myself. I go thru 3 or 4 rears each year.(20-30 thousand miles)Humm maybe I'll give yours some thought.. :unsure:

Oooops I just reread your post :blink: ABS,,,no can do, I got an 03 (No ABS)

Last edited by a moderator:
When it comes to bikes and airplanes, my theory is replace it when in question. I can't see risking myself or others for a few bucks. And I only would plug a tire to get me to a place where I could get a new one. It's not worth it. My $.02. PM. <>< :D

I just talked to Guru Glenn @ Sunnyside and he said $377 + ship for a new 04 ABS wheel. The prices are more for the 04's than for the 05's. By the way $303 is the price of a non ABS 05 wheel.
Better order new bearings and seals with it too! I know for a fact R1's and R6's don't come with anything (bearings,spacer, seals, or rotor) and I don't know why an FJR would.

Better order new bearings and seals with it too! I know for a fact R1's and R6's don't come with anything (bearings,spacer, seals, or rotor) and I don't know why an FJR would.
He can just use the one's from the damaged wheel. Otherwise, it WILL get expensive.