Bent Rear Wheel

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New wheel got here today :p

NewRearWheel.jpg

So I had already figured I could use the old bearings/seals...but wasn't sure, so my question is how much work is involved in exchanging bearings plus the rotor and anything else over to the new wheel? I was going to take everything to my dealer but thought I should check here so I don't have any surprises.

BTW, a brand spanking new rear wheel for an 04 ABS from Gary McCoy is.......

$260.13 + $15 shipping.

I HIGHLY suggest you DO NOT reuse the bearings! They will be damaged just by banging them out! Damaged wheel bearings will affect you braking, and prematurely wear the drive shaft spines.

BTW....good luck getting those three little screws out that hold the dust shield. ;)

Wish I'd have seen this sooner. I sent mine out to MC Wheel.

https://www.mcwheel.com/index.html

$135 back to my door and it's perfect.

BTW, a brand spanking new rear wheel for an 04 ABS from Gary McCoy is.......
$260.13 + $15 shipping.
Wish I had that information a couple of weeks ago. :beee:

How can he be that much less than anyone else? How do I contact Gary for future purchases and where is he located.

:) Just went thru this . Bought my new rear wheel from Gary McCoy at University for $245.00 and replaced the bearings with new, they were cheap, and will use the old wheel as a emergency backup. Your wheel looks a lot better than my bent rim.

Thanks, Dan in Yucaipa Ca.

After about 15,000 miles, I was getting some play in the rear wheel bearings of my 2004 ABS FJR. I replaced them myself, so labor was not an issue. Cost of all bearings and seals was around $100. However, from my experience, you will destroy the old bearings removing them from the old wheel. You will also need a press to install them. They go in TIGHT.

As for those 3 little screws that secure the dust cover, I had trouble with them also. They are put in with thread-lock. I used an impact driver and actually twisted the head off one of them. Had to drill it out. After I had this problem, a more experienced mechanic friend of mine told me that thread-lock will let loose if heated. He said I should have taken a torch to the screw. He said it didn't take a lot of heat, so don't heat so much as to change the temper of the wheel.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hit a big pot hole on my FZ1 and had a ding like that in the rim. I had it fixed. $100 and a shop that I go to at times charged me $20 to take the tire off and remount and balance it.