Beowulf anyone?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So did the majority of the forum install 380mm or 450mm sleeve length Beowulf? For those who have the 380mm do they clear the hard bags? Close to 3 inches difference. Ease of removing the baffle?

So did the majority of the forum install 380mm or 450mm sleeve length Beowulf? For those who have the 380mm do they clear the hard bags? Close to 3 inches difference. Ease of removing the baffle?
I have the 450mm oval cans and they do not present a clearance problem for my luggage. The baffles have one hex screw that you unscrew to remove them; no problem at all.

I've had Leo Vince (carbon fibre) and replaced them with Beowulf's (heat treated blue) after a low side. I first heard the Beowulf's on DJbill's so had a good idea of what they would sound like! Before I bought the Leo Vince's I had heard an online sound bite that convinced me to go that way, but I was never happy with the live sound even with the baffles out. Hearing the Beowulf's on another bike made the choice simple when I had to replace the cans after my get off! I prefer baffles out with the Beowulf's?

I've had Leo Vince (carbon fibre) and replaced them with Beowulf's (heat treated blue) after a low side. I first heard the Beowulf's on DJbill's so had a good idea of what they would sound like! Before I bought the Leo Vince's I had heard an online sound bite that convinced me to go that way, but I was never happy with the live sound even with the baffles out. Hearing the Beowulf's on another bike made the choice simple when I had to replace the cans after my get off! I prefer baffles out with the Beowulf's?
+1 on the Beowulf baffles out.

What can I say other than, OMG!!! I just put the Beowulfs on today, and well, I am as happy as a pig in shit! Easy to install and I absoultely love the sound with the baffles in. Totally better than any sound bite on you tube. Excellent workmanship and detail. Oh did I happen to mention they sound great! Hey I forked out some cash, oh well. A wise old man once said, "son you've never seen a U-haul behind a hearse"

+1 on the Beowulfs

What can I say other than, OMG!!! I just put the Beowulfs on today, and well, I am as happy as a pig in shit! Easy to install and I absoultely love the sound with the baffles in. Totally better than any sound bite on you tube. Excellent workmanship and detail. Oh did I happen to mention they sound great! Hey I forked out some cash, oh well. A wise old man once said, "son you've never seen a U-haul behind a hearse"

+1 on the Beowulfs
Glad you like them, they totally transformed the personality of my 09. One guy at the dealership where I bought my bike ran me down to ask me about the Beowulf system on my bike. When I told him the price in comparison to what the dealership wanted for an equivalent pair of carbon fibre Vance Hines canisters his eyes almost fell out of his head. You watch, I almost guarantee a lot more attention at the local bike spots when you park.

+1 on the Beowulfs
Glad you like them, they totally transformed the personality of my 09. One guy at the dealership where I bought my bike ran me down to ask me about the Beowulf system on my bike. When I told him the price in comparison to what the dealership wanted for an equivalent pair of carbon fibre Vance Hines canisters his eyes almost fell out of his head. You watch, I almost guarantee a lot more attention at the local bike spots when you park.
Funny you say that about more attention. I happened to be out tonight at the local spot and the first thing out of a guys' mouth was did you change your exhaust? Yep I did!

I can't say for certain, but I think the connector pipe for the 450's is shorter than the 380's. I believe the ends of the exhaust end up sticking out the same distance. But again I don't know this for a fact. Shoot an email to Beowulf, you'll find out for sure. The only reason I feel the connector pipe is shorter, is that the OEM cans are definately longer than the 380mm Beowulfs but the connector pipe is shorter. Sound logical?lol

I can't say for certain, but I think the connector pipe for the 450's is shorter than the 380's. I believe the ends of the exhaust end up sticking out the same distance. But again I don't know this for a fact. Shoot an email to Beowulf, you'll find out for sure. The only reason I feel the connector pipe is shorter, is that the OEM cans are definately longer than the 380mm Beowulfs but the connector pipe is shorter. Sound logical?lol

Two questions. First, how much louder is it for the long distance riders among us? I know that is kind of hard to gauge but thoughts would be appreciated. Second, do these things require changing the air intake or a Power Commander on the intake or fuel delivery side to ensure smooth running? They do sound nice!

i have the beowolf,pc3,k and n filter,runs great,did 1500 mile border to border,noise no problem,i use earbuds anyway.

Two questions. First, how much louder is it for the long distance riders among us? I know that is kind of hard to gauge but thoughts would be appreciated. Second, do these things require changing the air intake or a Power Commander on the intake or fuel delivery side to ensure smooth running? They do sound nice!
As for the long distance, I too wear ear plugs as the wind noise is worse than any exhaust I have ever had, even on a V-twin. Now for changing the air intake and a PC lll, in a word no. That's from Skooters mouth and umpteen others. I was told unless you remove the factory header system then you will probably need to do some add-ons.

As for the long distance, I too wear ear plugs as the wind noise is worse than any exhaust I have ever had, even on a V-twin. Now for changing the air intake and a PC lll, in a word no. That's from Skooters mouth and a couple others. I was told unless you remove the factory header system then you will probably need to do some add-ons.
Check under Technical discussions and my thread for "aftermarket exhaust" SkooterG, Nitro, and FJRMGM all say no as far as mods for a PClll. Hope that answers your question. BTW I have the aftermarkets and did 250kms today with no issues, incl no popping on deceleration. there may be a slight draw back, your fuel consumption may go up, 'cause your gonna loike the sound enough to want to keep the rpm's up a bit more than normal, hopefully the novelity will eventually wear off.lol

Last edited by a moderator:
The exhaust bottle neck (back pressure point) is the cat/con which remains in place unless the central collector is modified (as with full header swaps).

As for "how loud"... see post #20.

The exhaust bottle neck (back pressure point) is the cat/con which remains in place unless the central collector is modified (as with full header swaps).

As for "how loud"... see post #20.
That is the best sound bite you'll get, bear in mind that is with the baffles out. There is about a half second of sound with the baffles in. I think it's comparable, just not as "open" sounding.

Just to reiterate, in real life and under load, the sound is better than the sound bite. If you go to www.holeshot.com there is two videos/audio clips of the Holeshot exhaust, which I personally think are close to the same sound as the Beowulf exhaust with the baffles in.

Clarification... "sound bites" are all "colored" by the different equipment used to do the recording, how it's stored, and what it's played back on. The only comparative method is to get some dB readings (like those in the table on the referenced page).

One person's "loud" is another person's "character". dB is a measuring stick that's more useful.

Last edited by a moderator:
IIRC, you can go to the Beowulf site and they have a db rating for their cans. It's been a long time ago, bit 115 db comes to mind. They are CE approved for yurup.