Best bang for the buck GPS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Consider the Nuvi series in a Ram AquaBox if you want something cost effective and waterproof. See the link in my Sig line for all the details...

EDIT: If you weren't using it for turn by turn directions, but just to assist if you "get lost", could you just stick it in a tank bag and pull it out when you "needed" it? Sorry about the hijack...no need to answer.
That's what phones are for. :D

At least the ones with real GPS as opposed to tower locating.

I've been watching eBay lately as my aging 2610 sometimes acts a bit flaky. Seen some 2730s around 180 - 220 bucks. My advantage with those would be they use the same mount and power I already have.
Phones are only good if you have a data connection to download the area of the map you are on. I had a GPS phone on my bike for a few weeks. When I got into the middle of nowhere all I got was an arrow on a grey field.
I have a separate Mapping app installed, not relying on an Internet connection. DeLorme Street Atlas comes with a mobile version for Palm and/or Windows Mobile devices, in the same package with the PC version.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have done some reading and it seems that Garmin is the GPS I see being used the most, so I would probably go that way. I would mount it on a ram ball mounted to the stem nut. would like to stay under $200, but would go a bit higher if the value was there.
I love my Tom Tom 730 Great blue tooth to helmit communication

If you can't find a used/refurb 27xx or 28xx, the Nuvi line does have some models that allow for custom routes.
It ain't the same as a full blown streetpilot series 27xx or 28xx, but it will get the job done for most novice tourers.

I run a Nuvi 755t and it does what I need it to do, for now. It was <200 at Costco.

The key is CUSTOM ROUTES. When you download your 1 free map update from Garmin, you will get a copy of MapSource as part of the download, which you can use to build your routes.

PS: the Nuvi's ain't waterproof, so keep that in mind....
I think the nuvi 500, 550 are waterproof.

Chris

Exactly! I went with a Nuvi 550 and it's held up great. Waterproof and not too badly priced either. I paid $7 for mine but that after using all my bonus points from my VISA :) I think they were about $300 last spring.

Scoop

Other than not being waterproof what do folks think about the Nuvi 265WT vs the Nuvi 550?

265WT

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't buy any GPS that doesn't have 2 VERY important features:

1) custom (importable) routes

2) HAS A HEADPHONE JACK!

Got to go up to the Nuvi 7xx or 8xx line to get these features.

Well, I used the Gman 330, and it worked fine. Had mp3, and all the other gadgets....eh..em, which I did not use.

I knew it was just to get me used to using one, while I located a better model....which patience paid off, got a Gman 550 for under $60.00 (pawn-surfing)

So, now it does the same thing + much more, and I will be trying the downloadable route thing in two weeks.

I'll be hoping for a smooth transition, using m-soft Street for first time as well.

Good luck.