Best Basic GPS? Just need to see the route?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm using my Garmin etrex Vista HCx. It's small, but you can program your routes into it and fits great in a Ram mount on the center stem. I didn't want anything bulky and of course running on 2 AA bateries, no wiring necessary!

Try a Garmin 60CX, it is waterproof, can download routes, is small, and simple. It is not dumbed down. I don't think it will talk to you.

I'm looking for a basic GPS also.

But I'm a little confused about the option to upload routes. How do you know if the GPS has that option? For example, the Garmin Nuvi 1350 specs read "1000 waypoints, but 0 routes"...does that mean you can't upload routes? The Nuvi 550 reads "500 waypoints, and 10 routes". What does that mean?

Can somebody please help a newb?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Garmin Quest, which I love. waterproof but very little and typing names or addresses is a pain. I'm ready to buy something newer, like a Nuvi. But a Nuvi 500 or higher model. Is waterproof/resistant that important? Does the Ziplock bag work?

Dave

...Does the Ziplock bag work?
Dave

I've used a Sandwich glad bag on both my C330 Street Pilot and now my Nuvi 780.

I just fold it up nicely, tie a wire tire wrap around it and store in tank bag when not needed. when used, I remove from tank bag, un-twist wire tie, slip baggie over GPS, adjust so that clarity is maintained, wrap it around the RAM arm and tie the wire twisty around the baggie and the Ram arm.

As a note:

Trimming the zip lock off helps facilitate a tighter seal.

It has been used numerous times in some extreme weather and has NEVER had a problem.

In regards to Stem mounts. There is a company (not allowed to say who on this forum) that has a one-piece RAM ball/ steering head nut/cap for about $28. Though I made my own, it would be something to consider.

It has been used numerous times in some extreme weather and has NEVER had a problem.
Sport,

How long (miles/time) have you used the 780 on the FJR? One of the arguments I read against the Nuvis is vibration shortening their life.

Roy
Only about 7 months/3,000 miles. That's the first I've heard of that. No matter, I have a warranty that is good for another couple years, let it break...I'll get the Zumo next time. The old C330 Street Pilot was on for several years and never broke. Just wanted to up grade. Thangs that make you go Hmmmmm?

If it does break, I'll be sure to post up here.

If you just want one to see your route, and don't need all the audio extras, you can save alot of money by getting one of those "old school" things they call a MAP. Gas stations still sell them. Buy yourself what ever states you need. Buy a highlighter to mark your route. Fold the map so your route for the day is on top facing you and stick it in a ziplock bag that you have taped some refrigerator magnets to the inside corners.

This will stick to your tank right in front of you. The display will be alot larger than most GPS screens you can find. You will have to occasionaly stop and re-fold the map , but it is alot easier to see your route than looking at a tiny screen. (which really is a bit dangerous to do while riding anyway...you really should stop to study either )

No radio or bluetoothed phone, but you can get the whole set up for under 10 bucks.

KM

ive been using/learning a nuvi550 with cradle clutch mounted, over 2000 miles the last few "very wet" days. I'm glad i did not go the baggie route! Ive learned to use it with rain mitts on! As a new gps user, i volunteer to help garmin human engineer this product. It does have some nice features i find invaluable like the speed limit window, find gas, ... I wish it had 4 big buttons that you could macro program yourself. it would sure save a lot of back back back hunting and pecking. and what is it with the abcd keyboard. they give you a 100 language keyboard choices and dont offer qwert? and have you ever tried to go to a city that "oh my god" is in a different state? (and you dont exactly know what state that is?) forgetaboutit...pull the map

anyway i have a love hate relationship with mr nuvi; time will tell if i climb the learning curve. my gut feel is that they are all badly done judging from bamafranks posts or maybe i'm just stupid

is there an fjr "what is it with these gps" forum?

Thanks for ideas i do want water proof. I looked at Garmin site and thought a Nuvi 500 or 550 looked good. Both are waterproof. anyone familiar with those. Like $250 on some sites. I want to mount it with a tech mount to center stem. So the bag idea is out. but good to know if i ever change my mind.
I run with a Garmin Nuvi 500... It is waterproof and easy to read. It also does not impair my ability to see my gauges when riding. I have it on a center stem mount and it works great. The feature I like the most is the little window that tells me what the posted speed limit is!
I liked that one too. Did that come with a wiring harness to hook right to battery? if not what did you do? was it difficult.

+1 on what Geezer said. www.getfeetwet.com has been my source for two re-furbished units, a 2710 and a 2730. Warranty is same as new and the have been a pleasure to deal with.