Best earplugs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are the most effective/most comfortable earplugs you've used? Website reference?
TIA
This question is of special interest to me. I have had a heck of a time finding earplugs or in-ear speakers that meet the requirements that you set out. This is because my ear canals are 2 different sizes, the left one being particularly large.
Try one of these in your left ear:

sbob.jpg

gyros have been the best over the counter plugs I have tried. One of the major motorcycle magazines tested readily available over the counter ear plugs 10 or 12 years ago and gyros were the most effective. Been using them since that evaluation. Available at most Walgreens drug stores.

Wifey and I will be trying the ER-20 Hi-Fidelity Ety-Plugs from the Earplug superstore. They should be here by the weekend.

ER-20 Hi-Fidelity Earplugs

Currently we use the green foam earplugs and they are great for cutting out a lot of noise. Since we communicate bike to bike with our communicators the foam earplugs make it harder to hear each other even with our communicators volume turned up. We are hoping the ER-20 Hi-Fidelity Ety-Plugs will cut down on the noise and also let us hear each other better.

I had a set made a couple of year ago from a dealer for E.A.R Inc. They are molded with the option of having speakers in the ear plugs for your IPOD. The cost was around $175.00. Best money I have spent for both music and ear protection!

https://www.earinc.com

Surefire EP3 Sonic Defenders

Quite possibly the most comfortable earpro I've ever worn. These babies fit entirely inside the ear and are not dislodged when putting on/taking off the helmet. I originally used these in a much different environment, but I found that they were damned near perfect for the bike.

Etymotic ER6i Isolators

These things are the cat's ass if you need audio on top of noise-cancelling earpro. At $140 retail, they're a little pricey...but you can certainly find them for almost half that if you look. I bought a pair last year to wear on a 14-day trip from Houston to Gettysburg, PA up along the BRP; so I was wearing them at least 9 hours per day - and they never got uncomfortable.

If I turn the music off I can hear well enough to carry on a conversation with the guy on the bike next to me at a stop light.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went the custom molded route. Got mine at www.precisionweb.com. I did the molds myself and they were very easy to do. Their website sucked so I called and talked to the guys. They were very helpful and talked me out of buying the more expensive system. I went with custom molded ear phones (Challenger) and custom molded ear plugs. I used the earphones for riding and flying and the earplugs are for shooting. I can clearly hear all my tunes even at very high speed with the windshield down. They are great. The plane is virtually silent when traveling. I paid about $150 for the earphones and $65 for the earplugs. They fit inside your ear so they don't pop out and they are comfortable. The sound quality is great. I can even listen to classical music and hear the full range of the orchestra. They even have a motorcycle communications system where they put the mic in the earphone and it picks up your speech through your ear (like the secret service guys).

Good luck!

John

I went the custom molded route. Got mine at www.precisionweb.com. I did the molds myself and they were very easy to do. Their website sucked so I called and talked to the guys. They were very helpful and talked me out of buying the more expensive system. I went with custom molded ear phones (Challenger) and custom molded ear plugs. I used the earphones for riding and flying and the earplugs are for shooting. I can clearly hear all my tunes even at very high speed with the windshield down. They are great. The plane is virtually silent when traveling. I paid about $150 for the earphones and $65 for the earplugs. They fit inside your ear so they don't pop out and they are comfortable. The sound quality is great. I can even listen to classical music and hear the full range of the orchestra. They even have a motorcycle communications system where they put the mic in the earphone and it picks up your speech through your ear (like the secret service guys).
Good luck!

John
Tried to find www.precisionweb.com. Found several references to an audiology web site at that address but it appears they no longer have a web site at that domain.

Good luck!

John
Tried to find www.precisionweb.com. Found several references to an audiology web site at that address but it appears they no longer have a web site at that domain.
They rebuilt the website. It looks better than the old. You can find it at https://www.precisionweb.com/. Try again it must have been down when you looked. They were great to work with. I recommend calling 1-800-327-4792.