Best heated liner to buy?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harald

"Superior Gen 4" Rider
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I'm shopping for a new heated liner and am leaning toward the Gerbing microwire liner with Lifetime Warranty (very important) on the heating elements. I have a couple questions for the collective forum wisdom. Does the Gerbing liner zip into Aerostich gear? Any feedback on Gerbing? Is there a better choice for a heated liner?

Here's the long story:

Approximately 2.5 years ago I purchased a Darien jacket and pants along with their Kanetsu (sp?) electric jacket liner. Shortly after receiving the suit, the electric liner failed with it only partially heating. :( I paid to ship it back and they repaired it for free. I understand that sometimes things fail and even though it cost me a few bucks, they did fix it.

Last month I was on a week long trip with the wife and I gave her the liner to wear because she's easily chilled and I'm a tough guy :lol: . She complained that her arms weren't getting warm. When we got back home I checked it out and sure enough both sleeves and part of the body weren't heating. This liner should draw 5 amps, but was only drawing 2 amps. :angry:

I should note that I am very careful with my stuff and in no way have abused the liner. I've never even crumpled it into the integrated storage pouch because I didn't want to stress the wiring in the liner.

I talked to their repairs dept and expressed my concern about spending any more money on a product that's prone to failure and is no longer covered under warranty. I was told to send it in and they could probably fix it or maybe even replace it under warranty. Today I get the call and am told it has multiple breaks in the heater wiring and is not repairable. They offered me a 25% discount on a new one. HA! :headbonk: Why would I want to buy another defective liner?

So I'm shopping now to be prepared for winter (it does come earlier for us northerners).

I had a Tourmaster and it was okay (overall, didn't like the leg mounted controller...since I always forgot to unhook when taking jacket off).

I know have Gerbings Micro and love it. Having the ability to control output more then Off/Low/Med/high has been really nice.

Just my 2 cents,

Dave

I'm partial to the Warm & Safe because it breathes when I want to have another layer, and when plugged in or not. Yes you feel the wires, but that just reminds me to take care of it as you have done. Customer service is great. You might get a good deal if you check the "Heated Gear Outlet Store" for seconds.

I have a Gen 3, 65 watt, and have never had a problem. I never have the controller turned up much more than half, even on the coldest days. No they don't zip into any jacket, and I prefer it that way. You want these fitting a little snug so they transfer the heat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Warranty on Gerbings products is not likely to be used - I have yet to see one fail. I have neck to toe coverage and have been warm on all day rides in the 30's and even high 20's. Customer service is the muttz nuttz.

I dont think you can really go wrong with Gerbings or warm & Safe. I have gerbings and my wife has warm & Safe. Though her set up is warm & safe jacket with gerbings gloves and a warm & safe control.

I have the Tourmaster, and it has been fine after a couple of years use so far. Not claiming that it is better than the Gerbings product, but I've had no issues, and have seen temps down to 23 degrees. One pleasant surprise about it is that it zips directly into my Aerostich Darien.

I had a Aerostich heated vest for years and it worked great. I lost it when my givi trunk decided to jump off my bike on a ride and was never seen again. So I had to look at getting a new heated vest and the Aerostich is kind of pricey. So my dad bought one of the new Tourmaster synergy full sleeve jacket liners and loved it and said it worked great along with some friends that had them. So I bought a used Tourmaster synergy heated vest with the heat collar. It heats up fast and evenly but like others didn't like the controller. So I bought a controller like the gerbing has and it works great. I did have to change the ends around so they match and send power to the vest but works great once that is done. I don't think you can really go wrong with any of the heated gear. Everyone seems to have nothing but good things to say about the brand they own. For me it was a cost thing. I got the vest from a member on this forum for like $75.

Eric

Aerostich.

I bought one for my wife. Extended my riding season.

I melted it, by accident.

I called and explained that it was partially melted, and was my fault, not the product.

I put out a feeler asking if their were discounts available for good faithful and loyal customers. :yahoo:

They told me to send it to them, which I did.

They sent me me a new one.......... free.

I bought a Gerbings jacket and dual controller from the PO of my bike last year. Before then I'd never used heated gear or grips, so when the temps dropped below 50, the bike would sit. The coldest day I've ridden with the Gerbing was 27 degrees and stayed toasty, didn't even have it turned all the way up! I'm not sure how old it is, but it's not the new microwire type, but it works great. I like the heated collar, it keeps cold air out of the helmet.