Best Inexpensive Helmet

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Then I rode with it. :( Lots, and I mean lots of air coming up from the bottom front and blowing in my face/eyes. I put the chin curtain on and that helped immensely, but still more air than I like. Waters and dry's out the eyes. This is the first helmet where I NEEDED the chin curtain on it. Also, it doesn't vent worth shit. Now I am comparing here to my Shoei $$$$ X-11 helmet which supposedly is one of the best venters around, but the fact is, the Scorpion doesn't vent worth beans IMHO.
Hey Skoot... a couple of questions...

Where does the airstream hit your helmet coming off your windscreen? If you raise your windscreen, does it still flow all of that air?

With all that air coming into the helmet, how can it not vent? Or maybe I'm not understanding what you mean by venting well. Air's gotta go somewhere, right? If you've got lots of air coming in, it's gotta go out right? Or is it just that the helmet seems warmer overall when you're using it?

Ya know, Groo, that ain't a bad idea. We could get Skoot to test it, he has all that unused space under the helmet for the generating apparatus...

Oh, you're a funny guy. But I don't mean funny as in "ha ha"................

I still need more saddle time with it, but I have been disappointed in my Scorpion EXO400 helmet. Initially, when I bought it I thought it was the cat's meow. High quality, great price, fit my melon great! Thought I would never have to buy an expensive helmet again.

Then I rode with it. :( Lots, and I mean lots of air coming up from the bottom front and blowing in my face/eyes. I put the chin curtain on and that helped immensely, but still more air than I like. Waters and dry's out the eyes. This is the first helmet where I NEEDED the chin curtain on it. Also, it doesn't vent worth shit. Now I am comparing here to my Shoei $$$$ X-11 helmet which supposedly is one of the best venters around, but the fact is, the Scorpion doesn't vent worth beans IMHO. So, living in Arizona, looks like the Scorpion will be the winter only helmet, where it's great anti-fog properties, which really do work, will also come in handy. Helmet seems kind of heavy also (subjective - I haven't weighed them) and during a full day of riding (500 miles), did start to give me a little hot spot on my forehead. My Shoei and HJC modular helmet give me no hot spots whatsoever.

So I have mixed feelings on the Scorpion. I was hoping for more, because my Shoei X-11 is wearing out and I really don't want to spend another $500 to replace it, even though I love the helmet.

Before I bought my Scorpion, the rep said the EXO-700 had more venting than the 400, which was another reason I bought it. I like the 700, use the chin guard for the cold to very cold days, but use the EXO-200 for the 60-100deg days.

zz - +1....

The review here basically says the same thing... scroll to the bottom for the quote....

What is the difference between the EXO-700 and EXO-400? We asked this ourselves the same question after comparing the two side buy side. Well, it all comes down to the venting, and the shell material The EXO-700 has a slightly more aggressive vent system. In our evaluation we found that the actual difference was slight, but if you live in a warmer State, you will feel the difference. Does this mean the EVO-400 doesn't vent? Not at all. We found that the EXO-400 vents better than all of the HJC models, and is right up there with many helmets costing over $300.

rhulcher, as for overpants, how much you wanna spend? I ride daily to work and I also have to wear fancy-pants in the office environment. I bought a pair of Carhartts a size too long and a size to big in the waist, split the leg seams and installed 36" zippers. Easy on, easy off, affordable. May not be the best thing in the world, but this is some heavy canvas material and I'm sure a heck-of-a-lot better than meeting asphalt in my fancy-pants. I wear those and a mesh skidder-jacket.

You will arrive calm, cool, and collected. Not a huge sweating mass of stink.
Thanks Scab -- I kinda did that.... bought Carharts one size too big, and used Tanners Leather Bond and glued leather on the inside of the seat of the pants (they already have double knees).

Will let you know how they feel (comfort), and I hope I never have to test the abrasion resistance/ability covering my ass!

Oooh, didn't think about the leather reinforcement. Where did you score the leather? Tandy?

...back to the bench

Oooh, didn't think about the leather reinforcement. Where did you score the leather? Tandy?

...back to the bench
Leather from Tandy (correct Scab!) I think I went too thick on the leather though -- kinda stiff... next time i'll get some of their 'perfect for chaps' leather. It's much thinner and more flexible.

Tanners "leather weld" worked perfect for gluing it in, and didn't bleed through the material (leather on inside -- so still looks like regular pants). I'll post back one day after i get them all wet, and see if the glue holds. I contemplated stitching it in, but too hard on the legs (ran leather down the seat about mid-way down the back of the thigh.)

Carharts 39.99, leather (had some, so maybe $20), glue $3.00 -- total: about $65, fits great, should save my ass some day

Best inexpensive helmet according to Motorcyclist article is the Z1R ZRP-1 ($79 solid, $89 w/ graphics).

Scored one to try.

Impression:

Safety: Listed as lowest G impact to your mellon than any other helmet

Fit -- more round than Arai (didn't fit as well on my round mellon)

Finish -- great for an 80 buck lid!

Buffett -- didn't notice any.

Noise -- very noisy helmet, and whistles if you turn your head left or right.

Based on the posts, I'm gonna pick up a Scorpion and try it too.

------------------------------------------------------

Follow-up...

Had the helmet a while now -- great helmet for $89! just a little whistley when your head is turned left or right.

Last edited by a moderator:
My EXO-700 showed up today from Univ. Motors... very nice... I like the drawstring helmet bag it comes with... also got a dark smoke visor for sunny days... and the chin piece for cold weather riding. Haven't had a chance to test it yet... but that's soon to come.

I got the Matte Blue Rivet model...

3711.jpg

Still think a shoei or arai.....anything in a high end helmet would be better if it comes to crash time....not to insult less expensive helmets.....but better the devil you known then the devil you don't....

More money does not always equate to better performance.... otherwise we'd all be riding BMWs... Or driving american cars back in the 70's... when the Japanese ate their lunch.

That's true Groo, but (this is me not necessarily anyone else)....having the experience of coming off @ the track....would sooner be wearing something I know that works :) ..... then a non proven quantity :blink:

https://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-.../summit-xpv.htm
Looks like a deal. I'm still glad I bought my Schuberth, though. I'm all about saving money, but not on safety gear.
Looks like you picked a good one :fans: .....from all reports its a very good helmet :eek:k: .....you"ll hear all sorts of stories....opinions...everyone has one....mine is I only use what I'm comfortable with....& since I (unfortunately over the years) have had a lot of crashing on the track experience....I don't care about cost....for me it works...hope you never have to use the skid lid...

I think you might be talking about the Z1R, Mogan. I bought one and the only problem I have with it is the wind noise. Bolws in under the chin of the helmet.

My EXO-700 showed up today from Univ. Motors... very nice... I like the drawstring helmet bag it comes with... also got a dark smoke visor for sunny days... and the chin piece for cold weather riding. Haven't had a chance to test it yet... but that's soon to come.
I got the Matte Blue Rivet model...

3711.jpg

1 week followup... I really, really like this helmet, especially compared to my HJC-14. It has much better ventilation, the visor doesn't fog up, it fits very snugly, and is very quiet. A definite thumbs up from me so far. :thumbsup: