Best iPhone 6 plus Mount........

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've ridden thousands of miles with both my old I-5 and current I-6S with an Otter box in an X-grip and never once had any problems with it trying to slip out. I use Radar Cast quite a bit so I like having it right in front of me to glance at. You guys need to wipe your greasy ass palm prints off your phones so they're not slick as snot.
punk.gif
I'll 2nd that but with a lifeproof case I also use it on my ATV with an X grip as well with no issues but that rubber sling looks like it would give more security.

Pull stop stop on the upper cradle and cut the spring by about 50% and make up new stop. I did this and it works on my I phone 6 plus.

Thanks for all the responses. Ignacio, is correct, "best" is very subjective. Looks like the X-Grip will be what I go with next. Thanks for all the ideas and responses!
Your I-Phone is about the same size and weight as my Motorola Droid X. I caught my Droid twice as it was slipping out of the X Grip. Went to a RAM Cradle style mount and have had no more trouble.

I've found that the damn X-Mounts just aren't secure. JMO YRMV

BigJohn,

Do you put your phone in the cradle with out a case on it then? That is why I was gonna go with the x grip, since I have an otter box case on my phone.
That is how I do it, I have a quart size heavy duty baggie that goes over the whole shebang if it is wet.

I use a ram xgrip with the rubber gasket thingy you can order, for my 6. I have a ram finger mount that I use for various things, to include my 5s. My iPhone's are always in Otterboxes. I would not use an xgrip on a bare iPhone. Just too slick.

Last edited by a moderator:
The biggest issue I have with model-specific mounts is that you're generally out of luck if you think you're going to need a different case, usually waterproof. The X-Grip is great in that if you're in the ballpark on size (there are 3 different sizes that I know of) then you can use different cases and it doesn't make you buy a new holder.

Unfortunately I have to agree that the bungee holder referenced above is a good idea. I had a high side crash back in '11 and my iPhone was still there, but on Jan 1 of this year I hit a HUUUUGGGEEE pothole and my iPhone popped out of the XGrip and out onto the interstate, It might be that I was using the mid-size X-grip and it simply wasn't grabbing the 6 Plus as tightly as the small X grip held my iPhone 4. But I still plan on using the X Grip but I'm using the bungee from here on out.

I use a ram xgrip with the rubber gasket thingy you can order, for my 6. I have a ram finger mount that I use for various things, to include my 5s. My iPhone's are always in Otterboxes. I would not use an xgrip on a bare iPhone. Just too slick.
I agree with that 100%. The Otter Boxes are great covers and they definitely give more grip to X-grip, with or without the webbing.

I have the small X Grip holding on to my iPhone 6s in a Lifeproof NÜÜD case. It is mounted low between the handlebars, in the landscape position, with the grip slightly to the left of the sound buttons.

IMG_0709_zps6h21kotv.jpg

So far so good, it feels solid, and it even survived infamous ALCarver highway. The Lifeproof case gives it some bulk, and provides a bit grippier surface than the bare anodized aluminum iPhone. When it's not raining I have a charge cord leading to the glove box power outlet. When it rains the cord is stowed in the glove box and the charge port is closed on the case. The GPS apps run in landscape 3D mode and are quite useable. Paired to my SENA, I think it's a winning combination.

IMG_0706_zpsrc6gvxai.jpg

The stem is a TechMount attached to my fork crown, with a Ram Ball mounted sideways through the top, and a short link to the X Grip. I modified the TechMount to support a SENA SM10 two way radio interface.

IMG_0708_zpsoyny1mzm.jpg

Now if I can only find a turn by turn GPS app. that lets me plan my own route on the fly, on the phone itself.

Brodie

rolleyes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't trust an xgrip, no matter how much I heard others swear by them. So for a while, I only used one for my work iphone. But I've been unable to shake an otterbox ensconced phone loose. For over a year now. I still use the rubber tethers. Too cheap a form of insurance not to buy. But I leave it off half the time. My givi tankbag has a dedicated pocket/window for a phone. But evidently the French only use tiny phones. Even an iphone 5 would have to be sans case and well lubed to fit into that pocket. Reeediculous. I like my phone up high anyway. If I wanted to look at my crotch to see the screen, I'd get a Harley. If I couldn't use an xgrip up high on the handlebar, I'd steal Hud's dash under cover of night.

I didn't trust an xgrip, no matter how much I heard others swear by them. So for a while, I only used one for my work iphone. But I've been unable to shake an otterbox ensconced phone loose. For over a year now. I still use the rubber tethers. Too cheap a form of insurance not to buy. But I leave it off half the time. My givi tankbag has a dedicated pocket/window for a phone. But evidently the French only use tiny phones. Even an iphone 5 would have to be sans case and well lubed to fit into that pocket. Reeediculous. I like my phone up high anyway. If I wanted to look at my crotch to see the screen, I'd get a Harley. If I couldn't use an xgrip up high on the handlebar, I'd steal Hud's dash under cover of night.
Putting your phone under a plastic cover with no wind flow is guaranteed to give you the yellow triangle of overheating death in just a few minutes if its at all sunny. You need the airflow to keep the thingee cool, even if its not that hot outside. Happened to me on 395 on a very mild day - all day long in the Xgrip there was no problem - within about 10 minutes under the tank bag cover and it was all over.....