Best iPod or music setup?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbiker

Reaction score
I've had my StarCom audio/intercom system on the FJR since I bought the bike. Works great, helmet speakers are good, etc... but ... my iPod has always sat loose in my tank bag pocket and I have to fiddle with it to change the volume, songs, book on tape, etc... In addition, I don't find the phone interface with the StarCom to be very effective. I can listen to voicemails fine buy my wife says the mic/speaking part of the phone conversation is terrible on her end. Very echoey. (sp?)

Not too worried about the phone. Really would like to know and see some pics of where you all have mounted your iPod or other device for ease of use while on the road. I'm considering buying an iPod touch and getting a blueTooth interface for the StarCom. Anyone done that and have you been happy with the results?

thanks.

I'm considering buying an iPod touch and getting a blueTooth interface for the StarCom.
Don't!! The starcom bluetooth interface is monaural, and the one I have is pretty crappy sounding. OK for the phone convo but no good for music.

In fact if you want it PM me and I'll send it to you for free to play around with.

I run a Zumo GPS to do the bluetooth linking to the phone and then have that hardwired into the Starcom. Zumo takes care of the tunes (MP3) and the navigation of course. When I have been on the phone with co-workers while riding along they were not aware I was on a bike.

The other route to go would be to convert to bluetooth helmet headsets and then you can A2DP pair with your phone for the stereo bluetooth groove.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good thought on the Zumo for the mp3 as well as GPS audio... but I have a 60gig iPod with over 9,000 songs on it. My 4 gig SD Card in my Zumo 450 will be a real let down.. :angry2:

I use the cheapo Chatter Box wired model, about $75, The cellie, and Ipod, just plug in. Good quality sound because it's hard wired, and cheap to replace, and even a "Data Package Dumb Ass" like my self can set it up in just moments, no searching, no interference, no poor signal, no air time. No Problem! :yahoo: If she wants to listen, she just plugs in too! And did I say Cheap? :rolleyes:

Good thought on the Zumo for the mp3 as well as GPS audio... but I have a 60gig iPod with over 9,000 songs on it. My 4 gig SD Card in my Zumo 450 will be a real let down.. :angry2:
You can put bigger cards in the Zumo 450/550 (I have a 550 and use 8Gb cards). But it will only list the first 1000 song titles. One trick is to join songs together. Or upgrade to a Zumo 660.

I have my iPod mounted with a ramball in the unused 10mm threaded hole in the clutch resevior housing. The mount looks something like this. I use a docking plug (bottom of iPod) to power/charge the iPod, and to get the sound back to the starcomm. Wires run under the tank. Sorry, no pictures.

Don't!! The starcom bluetooth interface is monaural, and the one I have is pretty crappy sounding. OK for the phone convo but no good for music.
FYI, Starcomm just came out with a new stereo bluetooth dongle. I just ordered it a few days ago and haven't had a chance to install it yet, so I can't comment on how well it works.

FYI, Starcomm just came out with a new stereo bluetooth dongle. I just ordered it a few days ago and haven't had a chance to install it yet, so I can't comment on how well it works.
Neil, please do a full review when you get a chance to install it and test it out. I'm assuming that, for it to work as they say, it must have both a stereo output cable and a Phone / Mike output cable to plug into the Music and Phone inputs of the Starcom1. Same as when we install the MUS-04and MIC-02 cables for hardwired operation.

If that works well, and without any noise or distortion, it may be a good thing to help cut down on all the cable snakes.

Neil, please do a full review when you get a chance to install it and test it out. I'm assuming that, for it to work as they say, it must have both a stereo output cable and a Phone / Mike output cable to plug into the Music and Phone inputs of the Starcom1.
I'll give it a shot, but I'm probably not using it in the same context as you're thinking. I just upgraded my phone, and ended up with a Droid2. Although it's not the reason I got the Droid2, the thing has GPS on it! Well, turns out that it will only send the directions through bluetooth using the A2DP (?) stereo bluetooth format. So this new stereo bluetooth dongle is the only way to get the navigation commands into the starcom.

As far as the cable to connect the dongle to the starcom, the module comes with two cables: one for connecting GPS/phone/audio, and one for connecting just GPS/phone. The cable for GPS/phone/audio is like you described - two plugs into the starcom (audio and phone). The cable for just GPS/phone has only one plug into the starcom. Since I don't plan to give up the iPod yet, I'm going to try using just the GPS/phone cable first. We'll see if that works for my application.

Jbiker, sorry for the threadjack...

I use an Ipod Touch 64gb and in-ear phones that I can control the ipod with. There's no going back once you use this setup.

https://www.apple.com/ipod/in-ear-headphones/

or

https://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666138350

I have the apple ones and would recommend them but the sony's probably sound better. They work as well as ear plugs at reducing sound, and I don't have to turn the volume up that loud so it saves my ears.

The biggest thing is you can pause, skip, revers skip, and adjust volume up and down all from that little controller that dangles PERFECTLY in-between helmet and jacket neckliner. There's no fiddling with the ipod and it just sits in my pocket. I can even adjust it with my insulated gloves.

I just velcroed an ipod remote control onto the clutch reservoir. No more fumbling for controls in my pocket...

Is this the remote I see advertised in the Aerostich catalog? Does it work well through the bike? Like if I had the iPod in my jacket pocket or tank bag? Is the remote waterproof?

I use an Ipod Touch 64gb and in-ear phones that I can control the ipod with. There's no going back once you use this setup.

or

https://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666138350

I have the apple ones and would recommend them but the sony's probably sound better. They work as well as ear plugs at reducing sound, and I don't have to turn the volume up that loud so it saves my ears.

The biggest thing is you can pause, skip, revers skip, and adjust volume up and down all from that little controller that dangles PERFECTLY in-between helmet and jacket neckliner. There's no fiddling with the ipod and it just sits in my pocket. I can even adjust it with my insulated gloves.
How do they feel in your ears after 8 - 10 hours? I have some expensive, and great sounding Sure headphones that are noise canceling and in-ear like the ones in your link. But I can't wear them on an 800 mile ride. I can wear soft ear plugs and use the helmet speakers that came with my Starcom and it works real well.

Really looking for a weather proof easy on/off way to have my iPod accessible for song changes and taking in with me at rest stops so no one swipes it while I am inside.

I just velcroed an ipod remote control onto the clutch reservoir. No more fumbling for controls in my pocket...

Is this the remote I see advertised in the Aerostich catalog? Does it work well through the bike? Like if I had the iPod in my jacket pocket or tank bag? Is the remote waterproof?
I use the I-Jet remote in the same place with my I pod classic in my pocket. Start, pause, up down volume, etc all from the remote with custom molded earplugs/speakers. Actually I have 3 remotes (one for each bike) and I love it. I-Jet says they are water proof but with constant exposure you can get water in the remote. I just wrap a baggie over the remote with rubber bands for riding in all day rain- works great!.

or

How do they feel in your ears after 8 - 10 hours? I have some expensive, and great sounding Sure headphones that are noise canceling and in-ear like the ones in your link. But I can't wear them on an 800 mile ride. I can wear soft ear plugs and use the helmet speakers that came with my Starcom and it works real well.

Really looking for a weather proof easy on/off way to have my iPod accessible for song changes and taking in with me at rest stops so no one swipes it while I am inside.
Well, like anything that has some pressure on it from the helmet, sometimes there are some pressure points, but I actually find the apple in-ear's to be more comfortable than ear plugs. Even ear plugs start to hurt my ear canal during long trips and I don't think I've felt that with the apple's yet. I got them from Amazon for about $65-70 shipped I think. It's nice cause everything stays on you, no worrying about disconnecting things from tank bag, etc. I used to have to do that and it was annoying. I just put the whole ipod on shuffle or a genre on shuffle and play with the in-line remote, it's great.

Today we're going to mount a clear Pelican 1020 on my son't WeeStrom for his GPS and phone/music. I'll try to take some photos.