Best Radar Detector Mount Location

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^ That's pretty disturbing... just mounted mine but seems solid as a rock.

Will the phone cord work as a tether?

I thought my magnet was solid as a rock...until I hit a pothole and it came off. I thought for sure I was going to have to double-back and find my detector in pieces, but the cord had worked as a tether. I wouldn't bank on it working all the time though.

Yeah, as Iggy said, it probably would work as a tether. In my case the little latching tab had been broken off for a while, so the cord just popped out. I do kind of like it that way as I can quickly yank the power cord out if circumstances require it, like say with a po-po parked immediately behind you on the side of the road with the lights flashing. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_20150111_132608_zpsgjb1cbnw.jpg

IMG_20150111_132624_zpsgsyiwfoz.jpg

My Garauld mount with my Weatherproof Adaptive 2.0 Radar Detector and detachable mount integrated into Garaulds RD mount for a foolproof setup. Adaptive LED Alert visible mounted on dash in center of windscreen.

Marked, drilled and tapped Garauld RD Mount to accept shortened screws to hold Adaptive Mount to Garauld MT.

Edited to fix photo posting

IMG_20150111_132608_zpsgjb1cbnw.jpg

IMG_20150111_132624_zpsgsyiwfoz.jpg

My Garauld mount with my Weatherproof Adaptive 2.0 Radar Detector and detachable mount integrated into Garaulds RD mount for a foolproof setup.

This ffing tablet won't let me post the actual photo into the body of a post, no visibility of the Photo Icon thingy
sad.png
frustrating!
It may indeed be a Tablet thing, but it won't hurt to look in the upper left corner of the Reply to this topic box, be sure the switch is ON (click on it), assuming the switch is there when viewed on your Tablet.

Old school: type [ img] then paste in the url to the photo http: //i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff469/bigjohnsd1/FJR/IMG_20150111_132624_zpsgsyiwfoz.jpg then bracket the link by typing [/img] There should be no spaces, I added spaces to break the img function so you could see it.

If you can see the toolbar, the arrow points to the switch. If you can't see the toolbar -- your phucked
smile.png
and just go old school.

Clip_2a_zpsd35279ca.jpg

If you can see the toolbar, the arrow points to the switch. If you can't see the toolbar -- your phucked :) and just go old school.
[img=[URL="https://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d168/ionbeam/FJR%20Technical/Clip_2a_zpsd35279ca.jpg%5D"]https://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d168/ionbeam/FJR%20Technical/Clip_2a_zpsd35279ca.jpg][/URL]
I'm Phucked, at least using Tablet :(

Those New England roads must be pretty bad. I've put 60k with mine magnetically attached to the shelf. No worries here. Maybe Fred will make you a good deal on a spare.

There are no toolbars when on this forum on an iPad or iPhone

And I wasn't in New England (Scranton is in PA) but yeah, I'd be willing to offload one of my magnetic RAM mounts if someone wants one

There are no toolbars when on this forum on an iPadAnd I wasn't in New England (Scranton is in PA) but yeah, I'd be willing to offload one of my magnetic RAM mounts if someone wants one
Apparently not with a Droid based Tablet either:(

If you touch the "Full Version" button while on a mobile device, it brings the standard version back up. I have to do that to quote anything from my phoneit's at the bottom center and the "Mobile Version" button is at the bottom left.

I had been using velcro to hold my RD to the dash shelf before I put the plastic cover over it. It dropped off one very cold morning. The 'phone' power cord held it from dropping onto the road.

3M dual lock. Much better than Velcro. It holds the RD, Laminar Lip and Cee Bailey headlight protectors. Never lost one yet.

Some big box home improvement stores sell Dual Lock in a package with several pieces. There are two patterns in the package - larger mushrooms and smaller mushrooms. Some folks make the mistake of using the small pattern with a small pattern and then the large with the large. Mix them up use the small with the large. The retention strength is greatly increased particularly for a torsional type load. On the back is VHB which stands for Very High Bond adhesive. Give the surface a wipe down with some alcohol and let it dry before adhering. The adhesive sticks immediately but will continue to form a bond over the next several hours. I work for 3M but this is not my area of expertise. We do use the VHB and the Dual Lock in some of our products.

Joe

3M dual lock. Much better than Velcro. It holds the RD, Laminar Lip and Cee Bailey headlight protectors. Never lost one yet.
Yep. I don't know what brand of 'velcro' I was using, but the glue came loose from the painted steel when my RD dropped off.

That dual lock stuff is what you get with your EZ Pass and it works very well as long as you don't put the device on and off every day. After a couple of hundred times mine came loose and I had to replace the dual lock.

Just recently mounted mine in the legal speeding box on the dash shelf. I have not given it the acid test for long term practicality yet. I do have the conspicuous visual led accessory.