Best Radiator Guards

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdecker

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide between the Cox Radiator Guard or the RadGuard. I would appreciate any input, suggestions or ideas especially if you have installed one of the on your FJR.

Thanks

I have had the COX guard for over 100,000 miles. Take it of every winter and give it a quick spry of fresh paint. Did it's job thus far.

Canadian FJR

I installed my Cox Rad guard the other day. It fits nicely and looks good. From others (like mentioned above) I've never heard anything bad about them.

Just FYI...unless I did something wrong...when I installed the guard I ended up having to completely remove the entire front cowling only because I did not have any room to fish the (2) top zip ties around the top of the rad frame to hold it in place with the cowling on. I tried & tried and just couldn't get the right side around anything expecially. Of course with the cowling off it was easy. So the install took a bit longer than I anticipated.

I installed my Cox Rad guard the other day. It fits nicely and looks good. From others (like mentioned above) I've never heard anything bad about them.
Just FYI...unless I did something wrong...when I installed the guard I ended up having to completely remove the entire front cowling only because I did not have any room to fish the (2) top zip ties around the top of the rad frame to hold it in place with the cowling on. I tried & tried and just couldn't get the right side around anything expecially. Of course with the cowling off it was easy. So the install took a bit longer than I anticipated.
I installed a Cox on my GenIII today. No zipties in the process for the 2013. An easy job. I removed the horn to get better access to a bolt and getting the horn bolt back in was a pain. Probably could do it without removing the horn and that would be a good idea.

If you read any of the other threads regarding radiator guards, you can do the same job at a fraction of the cost by buying a steel mesh waste basket at Office Depot and making your own. They come in black or silver. pick your fav and simply cut out to the dimension of the back side of the plastic guard. You can clamp and glue the corners in place of just slide it in btwn the plastic guard and the radiator. It will rest on the tabs at the bottom of the plastic guard. I did it on both of my FJR's and it works just fine. It looks good as well.

If you read any of the other threads regarding radiator guards, you can do the same job at a fraction of the cost by buying a steel mesh waste basket at Office Depot and making your own. They come in black or silver. pick your fav and simply cut out to the dimension of the back side of the plastic guard. You can clamp and glue the corners in place of just slide it in btwn the plastic guard and the radiator. It will rest on the tabs at the bottom of the plastic guard. I did it on both of my FJR's and it works just fine. It looks good as well.
Thanks for the tip. I may try that.

Third option: R&G Racing. Nice product. Have it on my '13.
Was the R&G install fairly easy?
Yep. About 10 minutes to prep (cutting a placing the sticky foam on the guard - acts as a cushioned spacer) and 5 minutes to remove two screws and plastic oem piece, place the guard on and screw them back in. They have a titanium finish one as well that would look good on a '13.

Third option: R&G Racing. Nice product. Have it on my '13.

Was the R&G install fairly easy?
Yep. About 10 minutes to prep (cutting a placing the sticky foam on the guard - acts as a cushioned spacer) and 5 minutes to remove two screws and plastic oem piece, place the guard on and screw them back in. They have a titanium finish one as well that would look good on a '13.
Thanks

Hello all. Maybe I am overthinking this, but for the Cox users, is the guard custom made for the FJR, and will it fit my '03 Gen I bike? I see one user (snikr) is using this on an '04. My FJR did not come with a guard, bought it at 10,000 miles, and now am thinking about replacing the radiator as about half of the little cooling fins are missing (probably from corrosion due to salt).

Last edited by a moderator: