Best rain pants?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fred, before my tourmaster proven by me waterproof winter gear, I wore these fieldshear overpants in the rain. They are unarmored carbolex I purchased from newenough for $50 or so on closeout a few years ago.

They have a light liner, so reasonably warm, quite tough (crinkly!), and waterproof with no fly, waterproof zippered pockets, and extra long covering any footware.

I'd be happy to send them to you to try. If you like them, any offer would be fine with me. Ignore the size, as they are sized two sizes too small, plus I went big enough in the waist to fit over my winter pants.

Last edited by a moderator:
After moving past the Gold Wing, I always picked over pants that did double duty as rain gear (as with jackets). No need to pack extra. No need to stop when the rains come (just shut the vents).

After moving past the Gold Wing, I always picked over pants that did double duty as rain gear (as with jackets). No need to pack extra. No need to stop when the rains come (just shut the vents).
Maybe its just my Tourmaster stuff, but very seldom do I see waterproof pants and jackets that are really waterproof. Besides...Then I gotta wait for my jacket and pants to dry out, and I hate putting on wet gear. Even if its only wet on the outside.

For light rain, I depend on my jacket and pa its, but down pours require something else...

My Tour Master gear has rain liners, but I've never depended on the liners for rain protection. If you do, then you're stuck with the liners until the shells dry out. Rain suit is how to go.

Hi-Tec Pants, probably originally for skiing. Waterproof 3000 MM, Breathable 3000 MVP, Seam sealed, 100 % Rip Stop nylon, packs into it back pocket. Has 12 inch zipper on lower leg.

Purchased at Big-5 for about $25.00.

Longrider

I have First Gear outfit. Kilimanjaro jacket and TPG Escape pants. They are completly waterproof. So no problem there, the pants are awsome, however the jacket is heavy and bulky even with the liner that comes out. Its great if you run from 30 to 75 degrees, very versatile. If it get's up near 80, it gets HOT!! The wife uses the Frogs and she is happy with them.

Maybe its just my Tourmaster stuff, but very seldom do I see waterproof pants and jackets that are really waterproof. Besides...Then I gotta wait for my jacket and pants to dry out, and I hate putting on wet gear. Even if its only wet on the outside.

For light rain, I depend on my jacket and pa its, but down pours require something else...
That's how I work it. Just came back from riding 8 days. I never needed the raingear and my Olympia jacket and FirstGear pant lining are supposed to be rainproof, but for real rain I throw the rubber over everything (yeah, I said rubber Old Michael). At worst, when really cold I can put the raingear on as another layer to keep warm.

That is my experience as well. The whole idea of putting a liners on inside of your riding gear has limited usefulness.

For cooler weather conditions I run a Fieldsheer Quattro Jacket (HiViz) and their Apollo pants. They are both (supposedly) waterproof, but in both cases this is accomplished with a water-proof lining material (Hipora?) sewn into the garments. What this means is that when you are actually riding in heavy rain for a good long stretch (not just a short commute) the outer layers of the garment will get drenched. Though the water may not actually reach your body underneath they will get waterlogged and heavy, and colder (do not trap heat as well). I know the secret here is to regularly treat the outer layer with some water repellant (Nik-wax or scotchguard) but when I've done that I still don't get totally satisfactory results in the real deluges.

For warmer months we have the Olympia Air Glide jacket and pants, which came with remove-able waterproof liners. These liners are just as clammy as wearing an outer rain-wear layer, and also have an insulating layer in them so are warmer in the summer. They are much less convenient for taking on and off than an outer layer, when/if the weather changes during the day.

For riding in heavy rain there is really no substitute for an outer layer of truly waterproof rain gear. The trick is finding some that:

Won't leak (otherwise, what's the point?),

Is easy to put on and take off on the side of the road,

Packs up small enough when not in use,

Is brightly colored for added visibility in already tough conditions

Doesn't flap around in the wind too much,

Doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Seems this is one area of gear availability that could still stand improvement. There is some money to be made with a good solution. OTOH, it's probably not as lucrative as other riding gear since so many riders don't go out in the rain. ;)

Maybe its just my Tourmaster stuff, but very seldom do I see waterproof pants and jackets that are really waterproof.
maybe it is to Tormentors. my first gear kilimanjaro (1 initially and now version 3) as well as the hypoertex over pants (1 initially and now version 2) have gone through hours of gully washers and worked very well. all of which i've used in temps from below freezing to over 110 F.

once every year or two i wash the gear as directed and then treat them with Scotch-Guard exterior aerosol spray (letting them hang-dry for about 2 or 3 days afterwards out in the garage until the fumes "go away").

I rode to Maine and back from San Antone in '05 and FroggToggs did me fine...not 100% for sure, but good enough not to be troublesome. Seriously, it hasnt rained enough down here in years and its sporadic at best...I'm just doin' good not to fishtail my ass off the road when it does. And Mike, brother you make a fellow coonass proud ! Thanks Fred for another great topic too !

Bobby

tourmaster epic (3/4 lenth w built in hood) jacket and caliper pants from new enough

TM winter elite gloves

warm & dry as a bone in monsoons at interstate speeds

tourmaster epic (3/4 lenth w built in hood) jacket and caliper pants from new enough

TM winter elite gloves

And see...I probably shouldn't have worded it like that. My Transition II and mesh pants with the liner in have kept me very dry through all kinds of stuff.

What I can't stand is the cold, wet gear that ensues. I have ridden and hunted by the idea that cold is ok, and wet is ok...Cold AND wet are NOT ok. Besides, my pants are mesh and its a pain in the ass to put the liner in them. Much easier just putting something warm and dry over the top.

So I guess if I got rainproof riding pants, I wouldn't need the rain gear, but I would still want and use it.

I got this set of raingear in yellow about 2 years ago. I don't have a ton of wet-weather riding experience with it, but it definitely kept me dry last year in a crazy downpour that lasted about 30 minutes in british columbia... It goes over the top. I like the visibility factor. I think it's discontinued but still can get it here (see link). It is not very compact when folded up and weighs a bit, but it's definitely functional.

https://www.motorcycletoystore.com/cruiser/shop.php/rain-gear/teknic-otisca-2-piece-rainsuit/p_454.html

I got this set of raingear in yellow about 2 years ago. I don't have a ton of wet-weather riding experience with it, but it definitely kept me dry last year in a crazy downpour that lasted about 30 minutes in british columbia... It goes over the top. I like the visibility factor. I think it's discontinued but still can get it here (see link). It is not very compact when folded up and weighs a bit, but it's definitely functional.

https://www.motorcycl...suit/p_454.html
Spud!!

That is the exact rain jackets that we have now (in yellow) and that am quite happy with.

I bought them (an XL for me and an S one for my wife) on closeout from Motorcycle Superstore.

I should just try and find those Otisca matching pants!!

Thanks.

I actually found another place online that is selling off some old stock for $18 a pair, so I ordered up a couple of pair for myself and my wife. If they don't work out, or I really like the ones that Patriot is sending better, at least I won't be out very much money. ;)

edited to note that they didn't actually have them in stock. I guess if I really want the Otisca pants I'll have to get them off of fleaBay.

TM winter elite gloves

And see...I probably shouldn't have worded it like that. My Transition II and mesh pants with the liner in have kept me very dry through all kinds of stuff.

What I can't stand is the cold, wet gear that ensues. I have ridden and hunted by the idea that cold is ok, and wet is ok...Cold AND wet are NOT ok. Besides, my pants are mesh and its a pain in the ass to put the liner in them. Much easier just putting something warm and dry over the top.

So I guess if I got rainproof riding pants, I wouldn't need the rain gear, but I would still want and use it.
that's cold weather gear only...end Nov-begin Feb down here

warm weather, all mesh with prayers for rain Jun-Aug in +100 heat index on the slab

if the rain happens to be cold...then frogg togg pants over mesh and sweatshirt or rain liner under mesh jacket as needed