Best rain pants?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think there are a number of good ideas out there. But this is what has worked for me.

I have ridden a number of years now wearing Aerostich Darien stuff, jacket and pants. I have both the regular Darien pant and the AD1s. I always have them on and just adjust the pants underneath to the situation. Light pajama pants underneath on hot days, and heavy sweat pants on cold days. I wear jeans underneath if I know I will need to take the Dariens off and do something. I have ridden in everything from 20 degrees to 105 this way.

As far as rain, I have ridden through the entire state of Kentucky in a solid rain without getting wet. I rode 13 hours through Ontario and Minnesota in nonstop rain without getting wet (and that was on a Vmax). I have gone through blinding downpours coupled with marble size hail and not gotten wet. And all this without the "trapped in a plastic bag" feeling. This setup has more than proved itself. I try and clean and re-treat the jacket and pants at least once a year.

I have successfully avoided buying multiples of anything that didn't work. Since I only bought once, even though it was expensive to buy in, I think I have come out ok. At least it worked for me anyway.

I have both types of Darien pants because a staple was sticking through the seat on my Vmax and cut a hole eventually, in the original pants. Took a while to find as the point of the staple just barely poked through the seat after you rode for a while. I never felt the point and it would disappear as soon as I got off the bike. I had the pants repaired and keep them as a spare or as highly capable snow pants.

mr.paul, from Minnesota

In the cool/cold weather, I've been wearing a FirstGear Kilimanjaro jacket and HT pants on my daily commute. The first two or so years, they were completely waterproof. I retreated them last year and that helped. Rode in a good rain last week and the jacket sleeves seeped a bit, pants seemed okay. Time to retreat. I've got frogg toggs for the real gully washers and they work well for me. A friend gave me a FirstGear rainsuit, which is like rubber and is completely dry, but I only use it when its cold.

I did end up buying the fieldsheer over-pants from Patriot. I've not yet tried them in the rain, but I have no doubt whatsoever that these bad boys will keep my lower half dry. They are some very substantial pants with no zipper or fly in the crotch, which seems to be many over-pants' downfall.

But that is also the problem with them, in that they will be great to wear all day, but a royal PITA to get on and off over protective gear out on the road. Plus they are so heavy duty (600 denier cordura fabric, from the looks of them) that they will not pack up very small when not in use.

So I will be keeping these and using them in certain situations (hey, I'm a gear whore, what can I say?) but sill searching for some packable waterproof over-pants to carry on the bike in summer (mesh gear) months.

(note the Tecnic Otisca pants that I tried to order per the prior post were not actually in stock)

Last edited by a moderator:
I just wanted to add that frog toggs suck. Pants zipper broke, jacket zipper broke, and it is not like they get worn alot. concept is good product is bad.

Fred, Frog Togs are your friend...$29.00 and they breath...did not get wet on the Bluegrass tour at all
The first & only time that I wore a pair of these, the pockets on the pants blew out. Also, once seated on my bike the rain pants would not cover my pant legs to the bottom, leaving my entire boot exposed even though I'm only 5'-8". They were sized large... the size that I normally wear in men's clothing. I figured they'd work. Yeah well, I was wrong. These things are a step above paper.

I have put my hands on Frogg Togg brand "Road Toads"... specifically made with motorcyclists in mind. Those might be worth a look. As far as their regular offerings... don't waste your time & money. Plan to spend more than $29.00 on Road Toads, also.

I agree. I bought the cheapy togg suit. Repels rain fine, but the zippers all went south. Finally opted for the Leap Frogg suit, much better zippers, reflective trim, etc. So far, so good.

I have to say from my own experience, the only thing that is full proof is rubber or some sort of pvc. I have tried frogg-toggs and have a pair of Darien pants and with both my butt and crotch will get wet eventually. The Darien pants I have re-treated several times with the same results. I've found ANY breathable material will pass moisture under certain conditions. Like Mr Bill said, if you use heated grips with gortex gloves the heat will drive the moisture in and your hands get wet. I think the same kind of thing happens in the crotch area when sitting for extended periods in heavy rain. That is my experience over the last 47 years of riding. I've also had my Darien jacket, First Gear jacket and several rain jackets leak through in the shoulder and upper arms areas were the wind compresses the material against me. When I get caught in heavy rain I usually put a pair of rubberized rain pants right over my Darien pants and I stay dry. In moderate and intermittent heavy rain the Darien pants do ok. The rubberized pants are Nelson Rigg I bought about 7 or 8 years ago. They pack down just as small as Frogg Togg pants. I haven't tried the Frogg Toggs over the Darien pants, but maybe a double layer of breathable material will work ok?

I'm going to bring back an old picture I posted years and years ago. I know the OP has found something that probably will work for him, but the discussion is still going about what works and what doesn't. So in the "what works" category, I present:

I'd gone over to Pensacola to visit my brother, who lived over there at the time. We went out and played with motorbikes for a few hours, and as it got into late afternoon, some weather approached and I headed home. I was wearing a Tour Master Defender, and was not wearing rain liners inside my regular gear, just the rain suit on the outside. The only thing that got wet was my hands, and that wasn't until a traffic light 2 miles from home, and I forgot to hold my hands up, so my gloves turned to buckets. Otherwise the Defender kept me completely dry. In the pic, the black line is my path home from Pensacola to Panama City.

inm24HRFL_.jpg

Here's the Defender packed, jacket and pants, in the bag it comes with:

Rainsuit-Defender.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I know the OP has found something that probably will work for him, but the discussion is still going about what works and what doesn't.
Actually, I have not. Believe it or not I'm still working on it. I'm still looking for the easily packed, completely waterproof rain pants.

I had considered getting a pair of Frog Toggs pants, but those have been pretty thorough ripped on by many folks.

I considered spending the big coin on some Darien pants, but now I hear that they are not really waterproof pants either, just water resistant (and I already have plenty of those)

But the Defender suit is rising higher up on my list. Let's see if anyone shoots them down... :p

Give this stuff a look Fred. Mine integrate with my Motoport. Kept me dry all three of the wet days to/from my recent trip to Michigan. Haven't been in a frog choker with the stuff yet.

I guess you didn't see that those are what he trashed in the original post. And I followed with a confirmation. The Sentinel was the worst rain pants I've ever had!!!! The jacket is great, though!!!!