Best seats?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Already got my order in. This will be my 4th Day-Long seat. The 1st was back when Meyer built them, the others were from Russell. Obviously, I like these seats.

I'm choking on some of these prices.
I know. If you want a budget minded custom seat go with Laam. Just don't expect it to be a RDL, its not. However my guess is the Laam is prob good enough for 75% of the riders out there and it's significantly better than most other seats and it is a true custom seat.

That being said, if you plan on riding a lot, doing 400+ mile day rides or more, and you plan to keep the FJR for several years at a minimum, and you can swing the Benjamin's for it, my suggestion is to spring for the Russell seat and view it as a very important long term investment into your riding enjoyment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another option is to have the stock seat reworked by Spencer at Great Day To Ride. I had him do my HawkGT seat and love the results.

Just another option.....

It goes with saying though. I agree that the Russell's rock! I have one on my Concours 10.

43K on the stock seat you pussies. Taxi seat beads on the hot days, about $20. Headed out for my last ride of the year this (long) weekend, will do about 1800 miles. Beads off cuz it's cold.
bye.gif

I have 2 seats, Rich's for daily stop and go riding, and a Russell Day Long for long multi days rides, Pay once, cry once, miles of painless ass and smiles, PRICELESS!

43K on the stock seat you pussies. Taxi seat beads on the hot days, about $20. Headed out for my last ride of the year this (long) weekend, will do about 1800 miles. Beads off cuz it's cold.
bye.gif
Why is it your last ride of the year? It's only fricken October, you pussy! I know you live in Idaho, but there's no snow down, keep riding!

FWIW, THe last two years I've just said **** it! and ridden right through the winters here in New Hampster. Yeah, sometimes the snow gets too deep on the road and it takes a day or two to get down to slushy salty traction. But a lot of the time the roads are dry (and salty, but dry) and its some of the best riding of the year.

Lots of people freak out about subjecting their "pride and joy" to the ravages of road salt. The way I look at it, I'm 56 years old and I don't have a lot of time to waste these days. If it screws up the machine, so be it. If I wanna ride in January and February, by Dog I'm gonna ride!!
tonguesmiley.gif

Coldest ride I ever had was in SE ID. 50 miles below-zero riding out to "the site" on my naked GL1000 from Idaho Falls. In blue jeans and a parka. 16 below at Mud Lake. Could hardly unbend my knees to get off the bike when I got to work.

On-topic, though, I've been wondering how many stay with a stock seat on ANY bike when long-distance riding? You'd think the manufacturers could do at least as good a job as some of these aftermarket dudes. I'm actually not sure yet I'll swap out my stock seat. So far it actually seems pretty comfortable, at least as far as butt-comfort goes. But I just got the bike and will need to knock out at least a few couple-hundred mile trips to get a feel for it.

A sheep skin cover works for me. Just did 1300 miles in two days . . .

Love my fjr, hate the corbin seats it came with. The passenger seat has a lip in back that does not give my wife enough room. They are way too hard for my liking. Was thinking about trying a sargent back seat for the wife because it is flat. Probably a front sargent also. Then if they don't work air hawks on top. Russell day maybe but don't want to drop a grand and then not be happy either. I like so many things about the fjr but if I cant do 500 mile days every now and then, and not stop every 25 miles then its got to go. What are your opinions 1 and 2 up. Would someone want my corbins? That would help offset the new seats.
Check here, page 4, post #63? for some pics & info on the Laam seats.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/154073-picked-up-a-2013-today/page-4

I do appreciate the replies! This winter I will have to make up my mind as i'm now in now hurry it has been snowing already. Squeeze in a ride here and there when the weather is permitting. I want to keep my givi trunk in place as I like it but the wife wants a backrest as she doesn't feel the givi is strong enough and I don't think she should lean too hard on it either. Do any in the forum run a back rest and a trunk?

I do appreciate the replies! This winter I will have to make up my mind as i'm now in now hurry it has been snowing already. Squeeze in a ride here and there when the weather is permitting. I want to keep my givi trunk in place as I like it but the wife wants a backrest as she doesn't feel the givi is strong enough and I don't think she should lean too hard on it either. Do any in the forum run a back rest and a trunk?
I do, I have a Givi E-52 w/ pad, and your right, you don't put all your weight on it.

I purchased a Yamaha Comfort Gel Seat set used from a member here and I use an Alaska Sheepskin add on cover. Much cheaper solution. The Yamaha seat is contoured much better than stock and much firmer. The combination of gel and the sheepskin make butt discomfort a non-issue. I like the sheepskin in hot weather particularly as it provides ventilation and cooling. Garauld brackets and highway pegs also help and allow the knees to get a break as well. About a $200 solution I am pleased with.

I have the Yamaha top trunk and backrest. Wife felt cramped as it kind of angles forward , so I added washers under the front mounts which are unseen and tilts the box back for a little more room and comfortable position for the wife.

YMMV

Ed

Ed, I would love to hear/see more about your tilting the OEM trunk to make more space for the SO.

To the OP, I have a BMS saddle, and love the front. My SO is not loving the pillion, so Rocky Mayer called me back and said 'send it back' for a fix (after 2 years). I gotta love service like that !

(Rick Mayer and Bill Mayer's dad created the concept of RDL and sold it to Russell) (Laam looks very similar) YBMV

Old Man Mayer said (before he passed) that, while he could do wonders with different kinds of foam, there was nothing he could do with "just" foam that would be quite as good as his original design (that he sold to Russell).

The back rests are typically less secure than the Givi Trunk is. You really don't want to "lean back" on either one.

But it really doesn't matter. To be really comfortable you actually want to lean forward a little to counteract the wind and keep your spine in a nice natural, neutral position.

Ok i'm going to take apart my corbin pillon seat first and add foam-gell, basically mess with it and see if it works out. There is a fair chance it wont but its worth a try.

Ed, I would love to hear/see more about your tilting the OEM trunk to make more space for the SO.
To the OP, I have a BMS saddle, and love the front. My SO is not loving the pillion, so Rocky Mayer called me back and said 'send it back' for a fix (after 2 years). I gotta love service like that !

(Rick Mayer and Bill Mayer's dad created the concept of RDL and sold it to Russell) (Laam looks very similar) YBMV
Roger,

Very simple mod. Under the OEM trunk mounting plate, I placed several washers under each of the forward mounting bolts and left the rear bolts unchanged. This effectively angles the front of the trunk away from the passenger a small amount, and it is virtually invisible. I think the bolts were long enough to accommodate the additional washers.

Ed

Latest posts