Beyond Frustration--Mirror Mount Bracket Snapped

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did replace my mount. Took me probably 8 or 10 hours, start to finish. Took some pictures as I went along, you can find them here.

Nasty job, but do-able.

That frame is pricy, though.

(Click on image for larger view)

Many success stories of using various epoxy repairs or cobbing together a custom support bracket that fixes where yours is snapped off. (They all seem to break off slightly differently)

Most folks break theirs from dropping and hitting the OEM mirror, which doesn't fold up (it folds the wrong direction to protect the mount). The FZ1 mirrors do fold upwards, so dropping on them is less likely to break the sub-frame. But I suppose it could still happen depending on how you drop it. Still, this was a big incentive to get rid of the OEM mirrors.

Would be interested to see what the Clearwater under mirror light brackets look like that they grounded out before the mirror. They must stick out pretty far to the sides of the bike? That may be an advantage that the WynPro Anti-vibration Aux Light brackets would have as the bracket and light are positioned below the mirror stalk, not out to the side. If you can get those to work with your Clearwater light heads you may want to look at using those in he future to lessen the chances of a repeat breakage.

Lets face it... with these behemoth FJRs, zero mph drops are gonna happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
My experience:

I broke my mirror stay after a low speed drop. I JB Welded it, and it broke again about a week later. I went to Napa, grabbed some fiberglass fabric, and some high strength 2 part liquid epoxy. I cut a piece of fabric to wrap both sides of the bracket, globbed on a layer of epoxy, pressed the fiberglass fabric into it, and then put another layer of epoxy covering the whole piece of fabric. It was quick set stuff, so I only had to hold it in place for a couple of minutes before walking away from it. This was only about 5-6000 miles ago, but it seems to be holding up very well.

I'm not going to kid myself into thinking the bike will never take a nap again. I also switched over to the FZ-1 mirrors, and put on a set of engine and bag guards. I'm fairly certain that if I were to replace the mirror stay, the bike would go down again in another week and break it again.

Wow. Maybe someone with some graphics talent should produce a Gen III broken-mirror-mount-drop-club icon for signature lines!

This bracket should be on Yamaha's short list for a mid-generation re-design.

I'm thinking mechanical mirror fuses :) Easily replaceable base mounts which are notched to fracture before the front stay breaks or easily replaceable plastic screws for mounting the mirrors which will break first.

I've already proven the FZ1 mirrors won't save you and seriously doubt you can push the bike with the epoxied fix, or I'll even venture to say the reinforcement fix. It is a thin casting predisposed to breaking with very little abuse.

I'd have mixed feelings about reinforcements.... the next drop will likely result in having to replace the part rather than being able to repair it again??

I've already proven the FZ1 mirrors won't save you and seriously doubt you can push the bike with the epoxied fix, or I'll even venture to say the reinforcement fix. It is a thin casting predisposed to breaking with very little abuse.I'd have mixed feelings about reinforcements.... the next drop will likely result in having to replace the part rather than being able to repair it again??
Yeah, I think I'll replace the sub frame this winter. Oh wait - do we have winter here?
smile.png

Hey Ray - let's replace the sub frame at Tech Day
rolleyes.gif
jk

Yes, definitely is cast aluminum. I noticed this when I drilled out the mirror mount holes for mounting the WynPro Anti Vibration Aux light brackets.with the countersunk FCCN nuts.

It's hard to weld even when off the bike. I personally don't think epoxy will work in the long run, but what do I know? Oh, I've replaced mine twice now, with one being a broken re-weld.

Mike, do it right the first time. Then when out on an adventure you don't have to worry about it flopping again.

somewhere just recently, I think on Facebook, a guy fabricated a metal patch support to attach over the broken piece and it had a flexible spring to absorb future problems. It required several bends but he did a great job. Check out fjrowners, guy named Norm Kerns.

I was thinking that I would take the stay to someone who has a 3D scanner/ printer to make a duplicate of the stay that can be re modeled.

My thoughts were that the ears of the stay (the pieces that hold the mirrors) could be separated and supported somewhere else on the bike.

The main center part of the stay would remain where it should, while the ears would be allowed to break separately therefore making the replacement a much easier task.

I was thinking that I would take the stay to someone who has a 3D scanner/ printer to make a duplicate of the stay that can be re modeled. My thoughts were that the ears of the stay (the pieces that hold the mirrors) could be separated and supported somewhere else on the bike.

The main center part of the stay would remain where it should, while the ears would be allowed to break separately therefore making the replacement a much easier task.
Don't tell me Jim dropped your bike!!!

;) :D

No, Silly.....it was when Jim stopped short and I ran into the back of him (a couple of years ago) Boy did he get an earful for stopping short like that!!

What was he thinking?! 😳

BTW I also tried the epoxy and weld tape gauze. It's still holding up, but I can tell there is the slightest wiggle to the mirror.

I had ordered the stay (as a replacement) but never installed it. That's when I had the idea of using it as a model for creating a different design.

Never did it yet though.

It might be easier to change the mirror mounting studs to something like replaceable plastic screws/studs which will shear off first, sorta like the windshield.

Thought about cutting off that tab that stops the mirror folding all the way back. Did the cut on an old mirror stem.

(Click on image for larger view)

But I've never flitted it, I'm fairly reluctant to test it ;) .