Big Power Adders??

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaelaria

Reaction score
OK - so what's out there for big power gains? I'm not talking about wasting $1500 for 10HP - I mean turbo, supercharging, etc. results - Anything out there at all for a '06+ yet?

I am pretty sure there are no off the shelf turbo or supercharger kits for the Feejer, for any year. If you are serious about big horsepower gains you are looking at some one off work or NOS methinks.

I'd be thinkin' Nitrous for the biggest bang for your buck. Rarely needed, but when you ask for it, you better be ready for launch!!

There's always the army surplus JATO rocket......

This post is a joke, right???? I mean...you have a Mini in your avator and a Mini and an F'in VW bug in your garage and you are looking for a "serious" power boost for your FJR??? Not a lot of cred there with those two boat anchors. :D :D :D :D Possibly just hooking up those two loose plug wires from the dealer might get you back in the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gee & I thought my upgrade from a 45 cubic inch blower to a 62 cubic inch blower on my 97 cubic inch motor in my toy car was cool.....does mean I have to get me some juice? (nitrous) (250 shot maybe?) :lol: .....

Boat anchor my ass! Ever drove a Mini Cooper S? Quick little cars and in the twisties they absolutely rock. So what kind a four door snooze mobile do you drive, Jestal?

Seriously go test drive a Cooper S, it's the best car I've ever owned and very similar in spirit to my FJR.

So how many MINI / FJR owners are out there?

Jayke

If I'd only been riding a couple months, more power isn't what I'd be looking for. (Of course, I WAS pretty stupid in my teens with motorcycles and the urge for more power. Also, to be fair, you didn't say you were planning on installing more go fast technology in that first bike you own, either.)

Stopping it from a panic situation at 130 is a WHOLE different issue than at 100 mph -- but maybe you already know that and have that under control. Just wondering how much practice at those panic stops and avoidance maneuvers I'd have had from those speeds in that short learning time. Oh wait -- 42 years ago, that would have been -- NONE!!

Don't get me wrong -- you do what you want, and I'm all for having fun with road rockets, but I sure as hell hope I don't have to read another post here about one more fatal get off.

Boat anchor my ass! Ever drove a Mini Cooper S? Quick little cars and in the twisties they absolutely rock. So what kind a four door snooze mobile do you drive, Jestal?
Seriously go test drive a Cooper S, it's the best car I've ever owned and very similar in spirit to my FJR.

Jayke

Uh.....yes I have. Fast....yes....sort of......for what it is, anyway. Fast in an absolute sense.....???.... NO.

STS-V Cadillac or a 7 liter H2 with a blower or a Zo5 Corvette or a Z06 Corvette with a blower or ..... whatever else neat car is in the fleet. My favorite, actually, is the Cobalt SS mule (no wing) with the bigger blower and the smaller pulley with a 150 wet nitrous kit and some sticky Nittos. I purposefully go looking for Cooper Minis because the drivers behave so badly when they get their doors sucked off...... :D :D

You need to get out more if a Cooper Mini is the best car you have ever driven. Saying that it is similar to the FRJ in spirit or otherwise is an insult to the FJR.

Jayke
odd. a very old topic on the fj list was what car would you compare the fj to, and altho no consensus, more agreement was to a porsche 928 or (older style) 6-series beemer. i don't know that i would compare either the fj or the fjr to a mini cooper s, however...

Man way to go off topic guys ;)

No, the MINI (or Beetle) is of course NOT designed for or intended for all out speed. It does handle better than the vast majority of cars, takes corners with precision and authority, and is hella-fun to drive up to it's max of 145.

The answers here regarding power for the FJR is what I've heard from everyone I've asked, unfortuantely. Oh well, that's fine, we still like it as-is :) My primary reason was to regain the huge performance lost when adding cargo and a passenger. It's a completely different bike power-wise between loaded and unloaded.

Thanks for the input, everyone.

My primary reason was to regain the huge performance lost when adding cargo and a passenger. It's a completely different bike power-wise between loaded and unloaded.
Ah, well, that's different. I have found an inexpensive way to deal with this issue is to lower your expectations when carrying a passenger and a lot of gear. ;)

My primary reason was to regain the huge performance lost when adding cargo and a passenger. It's a completely different bike power-wise between loaded and unloaded.
Ah, well, that's different. I have found an inexpensive way to deal with this issue is to lower your expectations when carrying a passenger and a lot of gear. ;)
WC forgot to mention it's also the most practical way of dealing with it.....

The best resolution to the change in performance from a second person is a second bike.

Regarding four wheelers, I drive a '92 Jeep Wrangler with a 4 cyl. It's even wimpier than my old '68 VW beetle.